Help! I need someone who has taken apart their Southard..

I took mine apart to oil and clean it, (really I'm just bored at work, waiting on the engineer to get here), and I now only find that I have ONE washer?! Surely it didn't come this way, or does it? I have looked EVERYWHERE and can't find it. If someone can help me with this, I'll be your best friend..

washer.jpg

I can't believe it only came with only 1 washer either.

I would have taken it apart at home. I've used a small flash light to find parts I've dropped on the floor(carpet) several times.

You could ask Spyderco to send you 1.....I'd wonder why someone at work was spending a few minutes looking for something on the floor.

Sorry about your loss.

Look real closely at the knife, and all the dissembled parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it is stuck to something and blending in. You will feel silly, but that is my guess.

Look real closely at the knife, and all the dissembled parts. I wouldn't be surprised if it is stuck to something and blending in. You will feel silly, but that is my guess.

I'd have to agree with this.....it happens all the time..

it just happened to me with a brand new Ambitious that had an initial (?) friction problem. one of the 4 washers stuck way back on the liner out of eyesight. But I am still wondering why there are four(4) instead of two and hope this is not why I had an initial problem with friction in the first place?

I'm guessing it is possible that it came with only one washer since it uses the ball bearing system. Perhaps only one was needed for centering the blade? I could be way off and some others are saying that one probably stuck to the liner. I have seen that as well.

Agree, and I can tell you that over the years I've dropped a few when disassembling knives... :eek: :D

I can't believe it only came with only 1 washer either.

I would have taken it apart at home. I've used a small flash light to find parts I've dropped on the floor(carpet) several times.

You could ask Spyderco to send you 1.....I'd wonder why someone at work was spending a few minutes looking for something on the floor.

Sorry about your loss.

I definitely lost it. I can see the marks on both sides of the blade where they were seated. I contacted Spyderco and was told they do not have any, as they don't stock parts for knives not made in Colorado. I have searched the Web for something compatible, but can not find anything. Now I have a useless knife due to a 25¢ washer missing. Lesson learned....don't disassemble while at work!
If anyone knows where I may be able to find some, please let me know. Thanks in advance..

This reply leaves me breathless. Does that mean they only repair knives, even for a fee, if you send it in or they don't support their Taiwanese knives at all? How would they repair a Southard that happened to have a damaged or missing washer from the assembly line?

I'm confused with this . . .

I definitely lost it. I can see the marks on both sides of the blade where they were seated. I contacted Spyderco and was told they do not have any, as they don't stock parts for knives not made in Colorado. I have searched the Web for something compatible, but can not find anything. Now I have a useless knife due to a 25¢ washer missing. Lesson learned....don't disassemble while at work!
If anyone knows where I may be able to find some, please let me know. Thanks in advance..

This reply leaves me breathless. Does that mean they only repair knives, even for a fee, if you send it in or they don't support their Taiwanese knives at all? How would they repair a Southard that happened to have a damaged or missing washer from the assembly line?

I'm a little concerned with this myself...

Inhale deeply...;)...now, here's what I think that means. When a new knife is introduced, especially a knife made overseas, it takes a while for Spyderco to get parts back in Golden. Initially, apparently, "parts" are dedicated to assembly of the new knife. So, I believe they will have parts, but it may take a while. I've run into this at least once (when the GB folder was first introduced). All should be well...but input from Sal would be far better than my experience/deductions.

Heh heh - I didn't mean to sound so alarming :) I'm confident Spyderco has it handled in some form or fashion :)

Inhale deeply...;)...now, here's what I think that means. When a new knife is introduced, especially a knife made overseas, it takes a while for Spyderco to get parts back in Golden. Initially, apparently, "parts" are dedicated to assembly of the new knife. So, I believe they will have parts, but it may take a while. I've run into this at least once (when the GB folder was first introduced). All should be well...but input from Sal would be far better than my experience/deductions.

Guys, I want to stress here that ALL warranty issues will be taken care of by them without issue. This is NOT a warranty issue, as I have voided it by disassembling my knife. Spyderco WILL take care of you! They contacted me back and are gonna send me some washers that will work, just not the exact same one's. I lost this washer, and it's my fault. I was just asking if anyone knew of something compatible. Please do not be apprehensive about any of their knives, they are good people!

I should have worded it differently - They don't CURRENTLY have any in stock. I hope this helps you guys, I apologize for any confusion, I was just in a bit of a panic myself. That being said, I LOVE Spyderco knives!

Last edited:
i was thinking there HAD to be some semi-compatible washers that if not perfectly mated will work fine until they receive parts. unless i was wasting my time watching HOURS of YT vids on Spyderco reviews I have got to believe they wouldn't leave anybody hanging that badly. That said-I have heard that some blade makers don't penalize owners for breaking down their knives and I don't really know how strictly this condition is enforced with Spyderco...Then again-I havn't owned a single knife in the past 10-15 years that I didn't wear out before I broke it or lost parts (I broke a crkt m-16 trying to mod it because I absolutely HATED it from the get go) good luck

Guys, I want to stress here that ALL warranty issues will be taken care of by them without issue. This is NOT a warranty issue, as I have voided it by disassembling my knife. Spyderco WILL take care of you! They contacted me back and are gonna send me some washers that will work, just not the exact same one's. I lost this washer, and it's my fault. I was just asking if anyone knew of something compatible. Please do not be apprehensive about any of their knives, they are good people!

I should have worded it differently - They don't CURRENTLY have any in stock. I hope this helps you guys, I apologize for any confusion, I was just in a bit of a panic myself. That being said, I LOVE Spyderco knives!

Gotcha.

I've never had anything but good experiences with Spyderco's CS, so that doesn't surprise me. I just got worried for a second since I have a GB on the way that I have some hard use in mind for :D

Back