Help identify stamp on sword

Hey all. I have a short katana. I believe it’s called a wakizashi. My question is about the number stamped on the “hilt” hand guard area. It’s the number 16. If anyone can help me identify the maker’s mark, and the sword’s authenticity it would be greatly appreciated. I was told by someone years ago that it was an antique piece, but I am not sure of that. Thanks I’m advance for any help.

Hey all. I have a short katana. I believe it’s called a wakizashi. My question is about the number stamped on the “hilt” hand guard area. It’s the number 16. If anyone can help me identify the maker’s mark, and the sword’s authenticity it would be greatly appreciated. I was told by someone years ago that it was an antique piece, but I am not sure of that. Thanks I’m advance for any help.

I mean it might be antique in that anything older than 20 years old might be considered an antique. Some of my t shirts might be antique by the same rationale. Is this an ancient Japanese weapon? No. The reasons why are too numerous to count. The saya alone is the stuff of nightmares. What does the 16 mean...? Who knows perhaps it's the batch number where tsuba was stamped out. I'm going to guess machine made decorative piece from the 1970s or later. Please don't take this as a personal affront, it is not intended as such. The real experts will probably be along at some point to shed further light and knowledge.

Vintage 20 - 100 years old.
Antique 100 y/o +
I think you mentioned once that you are an antique dealer and I certainly respect your opinion on the subject, but I think you would have to agree that those definitions are something less than universally accepted (maybe they should be). For example in my state anyone can get an antique license plate for any car over 20 years old. They don't call them "vintage malls " after all.

I agree that with certain collectables, like cars, they seem to have different criteria. maybe other things as well.

I do not presume to know everything about the subject but, the general consensus is that most items fall under the criteria I posted above, for instance:

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of antique

1: a relic or object of ancient times

2a: a work of art, piece of furniture, or decorative object made at an earlier period and according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago

b: a manufactured product (such as an automobile) from an earlier period

Dictionary.com

noun

any work of art, piece of furniture, decorative object, or the like, created or produced in a former period, or, according to U.S. customs laws, 100 years before date of purchase.

the antique style, usually Greek or Roman, especially in art.

Cambridge Dictionary:

made in an earlier period and considered to have value because of being beautiful, rare, old, or of high quality.

Importing Art into the US

In the majority of situations, original works of art are exempt from import fees or duties. Chapter 97 of the HTSUS defines original artwork as art that the original artist created, exclusively by hand and without any mechanical process. Therefore, mass-produced reproductions are not eligible for the same duty-free exemption.

Importing Antiques Into the US

Antiques are exempt from import duties. To qualify, antiques must be at least 100 years old and have documentation included that confirms the age. Imported antiques found to not be at least 100 years old can be subject to an import duty between 5.2 and 25 percent depending on where the antique came from.

All imported items are subject to the following Tariff code guidelines:

Harmonized Tariff codes for importing antiques is as follows:

9706.00.00 = antique item more than 100 years old

9705.00.00 = collectible item of historical and ethnographic interest

9703.00.0000 = Original sculptures and statuary, in any material

Back