Help identifying Hessian (?) sword

ABTOMAT-47

Basic Member
Got this from a friend who used to have a knife-collecting family member. It's supposed to be some sort of Hessian sword but the quality of the blade doesn't seem right to me. Beyond that I know nothing about IDing swords. Any thoughts? It's definitely old with a nice handle area. The blade is long, straight, and narrow. Markings appear very low quality for the supposed provenance.

lwXXTg0.jpg

HdQHzi8.jpg

qKfq1KB.jpg

7vqynDf.jpg

IiOKXCK.jpg

mTiMB1t.jpg

Hessen. Friedrich II Landgraf of Hesse-Kassel, a state. A pie crusted slot hilt, likely a tribute to Friedrich II The 1780s-1790s a correct timeline and the blade type appropriate. Possibly a military officer's sword. Imo, just postdates the American Revolution and FIIs life but might have been contemporary to his waning years.

Nice sword.

Cheers

GC

Thanks for the info! I talked it over with my friend and decided to sell it on her behalf. Got over $800 on eBay. Not sure how that stacks up against the market, but she's happy. I'm happy too, since she gave me a $200 cut and I turned around and found someone who'd take that for a 1918 Patton I really wanted.

Back