Help identifying Legitmus machete

I just bought a machete and cannot identify what type it is. I can read Legitmus collins and co Guatimala on the side. There is also a rectangular spot which looks like a sticker or plate belongs there. In total the machete is 33.25 inches long.

A picture is worth a thousand words... certainly it's better than 46...

view

view

view

view

view

view

jR0r95w.jpg

Z1G1nDL.jpg

cWn56Kk.jpg

R4irOW2.jpg

2fatVVQ.jpg

iQsnDgK.jpg

It is just my opinion but I believe the scabbard is far newer than the the machete. IIRC, Collins has a database but it might not relate South America trade. I woul not put the machete at any earlier than the 1950s but I just don't know for sure. The Bernard Levine section is where it might be better dated.

Cheers
GC

I have seen several gardener trucks with plain or junky machetes in intricately-worked sheathes. Usually it's lots of leather, sometimes with some beading or silver accents. I wonder if it's a father/son thing, or a family gift. Machetes are disposable, but the sheathe keeps on getting used.

Honestly, more likely a touristy thing. The machete itself should have a number stamped on it but the date thing more follows the grip. The grip on this one follows the type developed for the US WWII machetes but the blade may not make it a surplus military blade. Aside from the point, it is quite similar to the longer WWII machete. The leatherwork what we would see for saddle swords but the recycling to tourism not much of a stretch.

Cheers
GC

Back