Help identifying straight razor

Hi everyone, (first post here) I recently purchased a vintage straight razor from eBay and being a bit of a history buff I'd love to know more about it. From the small amount of information I've been able to glean from the internet it may have been made during Weimar Republic era or during Nazi rule by Henckels or Germania Cutlery works, but I'm sure someone here can give me some more accurate info. The pictures are the stock images from the auction listing. It is stamped GEO H. BUCHHEIMER MADE IN GERMANY, however it came in a Henckels Twin Works sleeve. Was this the name of the importer or a sub brand of Henckels? There is always the possibility the seller just used an extra sleeve he had lying around and it has no bearing on the origin. Let me know, thanks!

Photos: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1CabhAdLXILuhR4kxMOIrPsIClLu0j8xn

The henkels sleeve is probably just a spare, given its condition, it wouldn't have added much to the overall value, so I'm guessing the seller either got it that way, or just tossed it in as a way to ship the razor. Other than that, I'm not going to be much more help, good luck in your searching. There is not much available with regards to records from that time as a lot of stuff was destroyed, so its kinda anyone's guess. However I'd be cautious to nail down any significance to when it was made. It looks like an imported "hardware store" piece, and those were pretty common in the US, so really it would be easier to pin down when G. H Buchhiemer was operational, and if it is indeed the same as the leather goods store that I saw pop up in a fast search.

Thanks for the help, I didn't even see that link to the leather goods maker. It's possible they may have made strops and imported razors to sell with them.

That is possible. Torrey started out as a strop company and later became a razor maker as well. From what I understand, a lot of razors with different names came out of the same factories in Germany.

Turns out OEM cutlery is as old as industrial manufacture. Its why solingen was a more protected name than the retailers.

Back