Help identifying unusual Schrade 2 blade switchblade

A friend in California has a Schrade two-bladed antique switchblade. It is 3.0" overall and has a 1.5" and 2.5" blade. (Approximately) I has patent dates, the latest being September 1910, on the blade. It also reads "Schrade Cutlery, Walden NY". The handle is a green material.

He thinks it's very old but I figure if the handle is plastic (he says it appears to be) it can't be that old. Maybe 50s? Does anyone know of a schrade like this?

Thanks,

Chrisinohio

Please stick with us, Chris.. We have THE expert on Schrade switchblades here in the forum and he will check in soon. None of us other members want to take a change on giving you bad information.

I will say that plastics of different forms have been around a long, long time.

Phil

Your knife should read Schrade Cutlery Co. with your patent date it has celluloid handles. Which is an early form of pre plastic. If your knife is marked Schrade Cut then it was made pre 1946 and if your last patent is 1910. then it was made after 1910 and before 1946. Actually I believe if you look there should be another date after 1910 unless you have a very early one.

Your knife should be either 2,7/8" , 3,3/8" , or 3,3/4" long closed and not 3" with the blade lengths you mention I would say it is 3,3/8" .

Now respectfully this is without a picture an incomplete tang, what has to be a wrong measurement ( because it cannot be 3" ) and I have no idea of condition so it would be tough to give you an idea of value. ( if you would like one ) See if it looks in general like one of these ( aside from the color ) these are 3,3/8 Schrade Cuts. Other wise I can post more sizes or a pic would really help. Let me know if you need more info. There are other possibilities if there are other problems with the description. LT PS I can give model numbers ect once what it really is gets pinned down, if you would like.

Lt,
As always, great info. Hope we can get chrisinohio to send us a picture.

Chris,
I have a article on the celluloid handles which gives you a couple of ways to test for plastic/celluloid without burning down the house.

Phil had my "open for viewing" thread made a sticky with the web page listed.
Thanks Phil and Cougar!

TTYl
Larry

If it is a schrade cut testing for plastic unless rehandled would be unnecessasary since they were not made in plastic. LT

Hello, I have a small pocket knife Schrade cut co walden ny
With respect to that stamp 1907- 1947? Era.
It is butter & molasses.
The stamp on the other side is an 8 over 125...like this
Is this a model number? Is it a date? 8/1/25,?
If its a model number is there a way to discover more information. I got this and a few other knives from my dad when he passed away this year and Im just trying to gain a bit more knowledge about the collection he loved so much. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :) This forum has so much information already its very informative.

Back