Help identifying/using second hand waterstones?

So, I recently acquired quite a few of what I think are Japanese water stones at an estate sale, among a few other things.

IMG_3863.JPG

One of the stones is made by shapton and is 220 grit, but there is no english on any of the other stones. One (the far right) is labeled S12.000, but the others all have any labeling worn off the stone. Is anyone familiar enough with these to help me identify them? (Or can read japanese? I can post an up-close picture of the writing.) They feel to be in grit order from left to right as well. As for the other items, it looks like a strop, a stone holder, a little two sided disk stone, a nagura(?) stone, a 20x jewelers loupe, and finally, what made me insta-buy the whole lot at the sale. It's an old hickory utility knife, sorta beaten up and with that beautiful patina. It's also the single sharpest object I have ever touched in my entire life.

IMG_3870.JPG

The problems are two-fold: I've never used a water stone before, nor am I familiar with their care and feeding. The only thing I have really used is a cheap no name tri stone (which really works quite well) and a translucent arkansas that I have had since I was 14. I did splash a little water on the shapton, and it definitely feels very different that the oil stones. Secondly, and more importantly, I have no idea what grit most of these stones are, nor if they are the soaking type or the splashing type. From what I have read, soaking a 'splash and go' stone can damage it. Is there anything important I should know before I have at it? I'd rather not damage something that someone else obviously took care of and had a passion for. I've always found sharpening my various tools rather therapeutic, and I'm really choking at the bit to try something totally new.

Here is one last picture of the stone with the visible label on it-

IMG_3868.JPG

Last edited:
I believe they're "Naniwa Superstones"

Here's a pic...

82cbefb99050faa7026924b1278ab48f_zpsvz5ttrnd.jpg

... if you zoom in, should be able to see the grit rating. (Above link has more info on stones).

Last edited:
I believe they're "Naniwa Superstones"

Here's a pic...

(snip)

... if you zoom in, should be able to see the grit rating. (Above link has more info on stones).

Great!! Thanks! Considering how those have apparently been discontinued, I have no idea how I ever would have figured out what they are. Looks like I have 220, 400, 1000, 5000(?), 8000, and 12000. I've been scrounging for ever dull edged tool in my workshop and am about to sharpen all the things. As far as I can tell, the only real difference from oilstones in terms of care is regular flattening. There are literally unwatchable hours of tutorials on youtube. Does 400-1000-5000 sound like a reasonable grit progression?

Honestly I would progress through all of them. The smaller steps you make the easier and better it works. Since you already have them all might as well use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

The Naniwa Super Stones are now called the Naniwa Sharpening Stones, same stones different name. Same with the Chosera line now called the Naniwa Professional.

The Naniwa SS as you have are resin bonded polishing stones designed to replicate the polishing ability and feel of a natural stone. Though this sounds excellent it's not exactly true. These Naniwa stones are praised by razor honers for their exceptional polishing ability but unlike a natural polish these stones do a lot of burnishing as the metal build up on the surface of the stone. The result is a very high gloss polish but this leaves the edge very smooth and without tooth. This is ideal for getting a smooth shave but less than ideal for a knife that needs to cut tough materials.

The polishing ability also allows a much finer finish than the stones grit rating would suggest. For example: IMO the 5k will produce the same level of polish as most other 8k stones. This goes for all the SS from about 2000 on up. You will also find the 1000 and under stones to wear VERY fast and is the reason most upgrade to the Naniwa Pro (aka old Chosera).

High quality stones though and a very nice find.

Back