Help: Looking for a good beginner/cheap slingshot!

Literally know nothing about them except for a few videos i've watched. Gonna do a bit more research, but in the mean time, what are some good beginner slingshots? Cheaper if possible. Thanks guys!

Whats your definition of "cheaper"? Do you prefer tubes or flats? Do you have a shooting style preference like OTT(over the top) or TTF(through the forks)?

Whats your definition of "cheaper"? Do you prefer tubes or flats? Do you have a shooting style preference like OTT(over the top) or TTF(through the forks)?

That reply just made me realize how much i still do not know about slingshots lol. I dont really know what tubes or flats are, or OTT or TTF. I will do a bit more research. any good websites with slingshot info? I know theres tons of different kinds. & Well honestly i dont know the price range for slingshots. but under $40 would be good.

That reply just made me realize how much i still do not know about slingshots lol. I dont really know what tubes or flats are, or OTT or TTF. I will do a bit more research. any good websites with slingshot info? I know theres tons of different kinds. & Well honestly i dont know the price range for slingshots. but under $40 would be good.

Legion has a first gen scout. Simple shot is going to full production of gen 2's now. Im not sure if the first gens are sold out.

Flats refer to when exercise bands such as theraband gold, and pure latex sheet are used for band material. You can buy pre-cut bands or cut your own with a rotary cutter. If your more worried about speed and power than band life go with these.
Tubes refer to just that, latex tubing available from slingshot sites. Usually used in a looped set( one length of tube with both ends attached to the pouch and the middle goes through a hole in the forks of the slingshot. If your more worried about longevity of band-life, go with these.

Everything is a tradeoff with bandsets just like steel is. You have to match up the proper bandset with the ammo weight to get the best life and speed out of your bands. And remember heavier pull NEVER equals faster speed. Bands matched to your ammo and long draw length is what you want.
Tell me your draw length and what your goal is (targets, hunting) and what ammo you think you'll be using and ill recommend a setup.

TTF is when the bands come around the sides. OTT is when the band come over the top. Legion's scout is set up with OTT. TTF would be tied perpendicular to what he has.

Any of the poly offerings from simpleshot or Bill Hayes are solid slings, its just a matter of what you like. Or... you could always go cut and carve yourself a natural tree fork.

As long as your in the states and interested, send me an email with your address. Ill send you a finished and banded up natural fork, and some 3/8th bearings.

That photo is indeed a Simpleshot Scout and I would say one of the very best slingshots on the market for the money . As already mentioned they are on sale right now making them an even better deal and well within you price range . The Scout is a slingshot you will not grow out of once you get going .

Best advice I can give is BUY ONE ! I just bought two of them last week and they arrived today actually .

Legion has a first gen scout. Simple shot is going to full production of gen 2's now. Im not sure if the first gens are sold out.

Flats refer to when exercise bands such as theraband gold, and pure latex sheet are used for band material. You can buy pre-cut bands or cut your own with a rotary cutter. If your more worried about speed and power than band life go with these.
Tubes refer to just that, latex tubing available from slingshot sites. Usually used in a looped set( one length of tube with both ends attached to the pouch and the middle goes through a hole in the forks of the slingshot. If your more worried about longevity of band-life, go with these.

Everything is a tradeoff with bandsets just like steel is. You have to match up the proper bandset with the ammo weight to get the best life and speed out of your bands. And remember heavier pull NEVER equals faster speed. Bands matched to your ammo and long draw length is what you want.
Tell me your draw length and what your goal is (targets, hunting) and what ammo you think you'll be using and ill recommend a setup.

TTF is when the bands come around the sides. OTT is when the band come over the top. Legion's scout is set up with OTT. TTF would be tied perpendicular to what he has.

Any of the poly offerings from simpleshot or Bill Hayes are solid slings, its just a matter of what you like. Or... you could always go cut and carve yourself a natural tree fork.

As long as your in the states and interested, send me an email with your address. Ill send you a finished and banded up natural fork, and some 3/8th bearings.

Oh i'd probably go with theraband or pure latex for the power. Unless tubing gives me enough power for small game.

To measure my draw length, i assume i should measure from one arm extended to the point near my chin? I mainly will be hunting small game like squirrels. And not familiar with ammo either, but i know marbles can be used and metal balls as well. Could you give me a recommendation?

So TTF and OTT don't have any pros and cons over the other? To me, whatever allows me to develop the best accuracy seems the best.

I am in the states and interested. You have extra homemade slingshots? That would be awesome!

Btw, thanks for all the info and help!

You probably already know this but, you wont be able to hunt right away. Slingshot shooting takes a lot of practice to be accurate. You need to be good enough to get head shots. Thats the only way you will get clean kills. If you cant hit a two inch circle consistently from 10 yards then keep practicing.

Oh i'd probably go with theraband or pure latex for the power. Unless tubing gives me enough power for small game.

You can hunt with tubes but you will be able to get slightly higher speeds with flats.

To measure my draw length, i assume i should measure from one arm extended to the point near my chin? I mainly will be hunting small game like squirrels. And not familiar with ammo either, but i know marbles can be used and metal balls as well. Could you give me a recommendation?

Yes from your hand to your anchor point. Mine is right below my ear, yours may be different.
If hunting, lead is the best option. .40- .50 cal is a commonly used range that hunters use. A good setup is .44 cal for hunting and .5" steel for target practice. They weigh almost the same so you can use your same hunting sling to practice with a less expensive ammo.

So TTF and OTT don't have any pros and cons over the other? To me, whatever allows me to develop the best accuracy seems the best.

I shoot better with OTT but others are different. Your most accurate with what your most comfortable with. OTT just seems more natural to me. YMMV.

I am in the states and interested. You have extra homemade slingshots? That would be awesome!

Btw, thanks for all the info and help!

Just shoot me an email with your address. Happy to get you started.

Reactions: MVF
I used to use one of these and found it OK. Why do you prefer the non-braced versions? Once acclimated to, do they perform as well? I wonder if I should give one a try.

I used to use one of these and found it OK. Why do you prefer the non-braced versions? Once acclimated to, do they perform as well? I wonder if I should give one a try.

When I look at that, I see the same thing knife guys see when they see a assisted opening, seat belt cutting window smashing tac-force.

It's laughable that a slingshot would have sights.

A pinch grip is more stable than a wrist brace. Its also easier to shoot, not as bulky, and I can put it in my pocket.

Last edited:
You probably already know this but, you wont be able to hunt right away. Slingshot shooting takes a lot of practice to be accurate. You need to be good enough to get head shots. Thats the only way you will get clean kills. If you cant hit a two inch circle consistently from 10 yards then keep practicing.

You can hunt with tubes but you will be able to get slightly higher speeds with flats.

Yes from your hand to your anchor point. Mine is right below my ear, yours may be different.
If hunting, lead is the best option. .40- .50 cal is a commonly used range that hunters use. A good setup is .44 cal for hunting and .5" steel for target practice. They weigh almost the same so you can use your same hunting sling to practice with a less expensive ammo.

I shoot better with OTT but others are different. Your most accurate with what your most comfortable with. OTT just seems more natural to me. YMMV.

Yup, I'll be doing a ton of practicing. Should be a fun hobby as well.
Most people i've seen in videos used flats. I think i'll just go with them cause i can find them at any store.
I will measure now. And that sounds great, I will buy a bunch of steel ammo to start with. Any off amazon will work right?
I havent been able to try different slingshots so I guess I wouldn't have a preference yet but i will keep your advice in mind.
And thank you, will do. You are an awesome person!

I'll use marbles but not very often. I have a ball bearing supply store in my town so I can get bearings a lot cheaper than most people. 3/8" and 7/16" is what I use for practice (mostly all i do). 7/16" can be used for hunting in a pinch to. 3/8" is a bit light for anything other than birds.

You'll need to make a catchbox so you dont lose your ammo. They rely on a loose cloth back to absorb the impact so your ammo doesn't ricochet. It just hits and falls straight down. My outside one is old dresser-type thing with a folded blanket stapled to the back. My indoor one is a milk crate with a couple old sweatshirts in the back. And fun noodles on the sides so I dont bust it up.

Did you send me an email? I didn't get one...

That is really awesome of you. And yes that is a simple shot 1st generation it has been a great slingshot for me.

I'll use marbles but not very often. I have a ball bearing supply store in my town so I can get bearings a lot cheaper than most people. 3/8" and 7/16" is what I use for practice (mostly all i do). 7/16" can be used for hunting in a pinch to. 3/8" is a bit light for anything other than birds.

You'll need to make a catchbox so you dont lose your ammo. They rely on a loose cloth back to absorb the impact so your ammo doesn't ricochet. It just hits and falls straight down. My outside one is old dresser-type thing with a folded blanket stapled to the back. My indoor one is a milk crate with a couple old sweatshirts in the back. And fun noodles on the sides so I dont bust it up.

Did you send me an email? I didn't get one...
Alright good to know. Will stay away from 3/8 for hunting.

I saw some guy on youtubes catch box, I will make a simple one like that to practice on. Don't think I'd date practice inside yet lol.

But I sent one, but I will try resending it. Let me know if you receive it

I resent an email. If you don't recieve it then I will send one through my actual email and not the blade forums if I can get your email address.

Back