Help make my new knife Old GAW....sort of

Well my first order of business after reading through the whole thread (again) is that I really think we need to name this beautiful knife... so when I think of Frontier I think of "Space... the final Frontier", Star Trek. So during my time, I'm going to name him "Scotty" since we want this knife to feel like "Grandpa's" knife when he gets back home :) When its your turn, you can name him (or her) what you want, but for the next month... "Scotty, I need more power!"

View attachment 1074687
Aye

Scotty helped me make 10 quarts of chili this morning that I then needed to bring to the Green Bay Curling club to help feed hungry curlers participating in the annual Green Bay Men's Bonspiel :D We did a little sight seeing on the way home.

View attachment 1074689 View attachment 1074690 View attachment 1074691 View attachment 1074692 View attachment 1074693

Packers practice field
View attachment 1074694 View attachment 1074695

Couldn't leave without getting a pic of Scotty with Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau :D
View attachment 1074697

You are now my hero!!!

I prefer their Sunset Wheat or Summer Shandy, even in the winter time, but any Leine’s will do!!!

CF4-F95-F3-F5-AA-45-B8-9-E17-247949-F6-F03-A.jpg

Well it's my last week with Scotty ;) abbydaddy abbydaddy is next on the list and I already have his address so this worked out nice :thumbsup: I definitely have added some character to the clip blade anyway, cutting apples, sausage and cheese gave him a good Wisconsin history :D Yesterday I needed some root cutting done splitting up this African Violet for my Mom. She had it crammed in one pot and it was starting to bloom so I split it into 3 different pots. Scotty has been in my pocket everyday since TheChunk91 TheChunk91 sent him to me... it's a bit of a beefy stockman for an EDC so I won't mind getting my ALOX Cadet back in my pocket :)

F-1L.JPG F-1M.JPG F-1N.JPG F-1O.JPG F-1P.JPG

Well it's my last week with Scotty ;) abbydaddy abbydaddy is next on the list and I already have his address so this worked out nice :thumbsup: I definitely have added some character to the clip blade anyway, cutting apples, sausage and cheese gave him a good Wisconsin history :D Yesterday I needed some root cutting done splitting up this African Violet for my Mom. She had it crammed in one pot and it was starting to bloom so I split it into 3 different pots. Scotty has been in my pocket everyday since TheChunk91 TheChunk91 sent him to me... it's a bit of a beefy stockman for an EDC so I won't mind getting my ALOX Cadet back in my pocket :)

View attachment 1089684 View attachment 1089685 View attachment 1089686 View attachment 1089687 View attachment 1089688

Woohoo! Looking forward to making Scotty's acquaintance :)

I'll try to give the lad a good workout. I should have some field work coming up, so hopefully I can get take some excavation photos with Scotty.

View attachment 1089684 View attachment 1089685 View attachment 1089686 View attachment 1089687 View attachment 1089688

Happy to see you gave it a good workout. Having just come from Northern Wisconsin, and heading back up there tomorrow, that plant is about the only green vegetation you guys will be seeing for a bit!!!

Happy to see you gave it a good workout. Having just come from Northern Wisconsin, and heading back up there tomorrow, that plant is about the only green vegetation you guys will be seeing for a bit!!!
Supposed to be 50 degrees on Thursday so this white stuff outside will start disappearing :thumbsup:

So abbydaddy abbydaddy any possibility we will get lucky and see some photos from a dig site? Perhaps even getting to do a little work with it?

You should definitely see some photos from an archaeological project. It won't be a big archaeological site excavation, but I am doing some archaeological monitoring for a construction site right now (not super exciting stuff), but I have some survey work coming up where I will get to dig at least little holes. I'll get some pictures there for sure.

You should definitely see some photos from an archaeological project. It won't be a big archaeological site excavation, but I am doing some archaeological monitoring for a construction site right now (not super exciting stuff), but I have some survey work coming up where I will get to dig at least little holes. I'll get some pictures there for sure.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just wanted to give everyone an update. Scotty arrived on Monday, and I have taken the knife to work a couple days, but not much real exercise. I've been having computer troubles the last few days. When I get everything working properly again I will start posting pictures.

I've been derelict in posting my updates. Scotty is a nice knife, I can understand why 315 315 likes these knives so much, and I guess I can understand why the first one went AWOL ;)

I won't be letting Scotty go AWOL, but it is looking like I won't be able to get him out to a proper archaeological dig. My time is all getting sucked up by construction monitoring. The site I am monitoring is in a historic part of town, but most of the stuff that I have seen has just been rubble from old demolitions of the historic houses that once stood in the project area. And when cooler things have come up, I usually have not had the opportunity to stop and take a knife picture. But my month is not over yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed hoping that I can do some digging while Scotty is still with me. Meanwhile, here are some pictures from the first two weeks:
20190410_110055.jpg
Here is Scotty with some old timber that the excavator uncovered today. It certainly isn't the oldest thing I have found in my work, but it seemed like a good opportunity for a picture.

20190404_083006.jpg
My son REALLY likes Scotty. It's funny, my daughter used to try to steal my 2015 forum knife when she was his age, but he has his eye on Scotty.

20190402_162132.jpg
I spotted some bone (butchered cow bones) at the project site the other day. I photographed the knife with the first fragment I spotted. This was a pretty small fragment, but apparently whoever lived at this spot back when tossed a lot of their food bones in the yard. I ended up finding a fair number of other bones (sparerib bones, round steak bones, t-bones, etc). I guess they ate a lot of meat, and weren't too fastidious about their garbage.

abbydaddy abbydaddy What I’d be curious to know, have you ever found a really old knife at any dig sites?

Is 10,000 years old enough for ya? ;) (Note: we had a mustache competition at that field school, thus the creative facial hair)

View media item 3275
As far as old steel knives, I have not found one yet, but they do get found from time to time by the research crews at the museum. As I do more digs I am sure I will find one, but I haven't found one yet. Unfortunately, steel does not preserve well in most archaeological settings. The handles typically preserves better than the blades, and of course, delrin handles preserve best.

Back