Help me aquire a Chef Knife.

FOG2

Gold Member
I cook for a living and i'm a knife nut. For the past few years the lightly modified Mundail 10 inch x 2.25 cook/chef knife shown below has served me well.
20181227_135408.jpg
But I now would like to acquire something similar but in a better steel.
Specs I would like in my new knife = at least the same length and width, but not opposed to longer and wider, Stainless steel and hopefully a wooden handle.
The knife will be used daily but well cared for and will be used on Veggies and Boneless meats.
A Laser type knife is intriguing to me but in truth the Mundail I am using is the best and most used knife I have experience with in kitchens. (Yes I know thats sad)
If possible I would like for it to be made by one of the craftsman that frequent this subforum.
My budget would be $300.00 so that might mean not a Custom knife but a production one.
I haven't found a production knife in the specs I've spoken of tho.
Let the hunt begin!

While I don't own one, I think a Richmond (it's a large retailer's house brand name) 210mm Gyuto in BD1N would require hard look. Less than $100 and can currently be had with a "complimentary" bread knife. I'm never totally sue what vendors are okay to link to but you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

I have BD1N in a Yaxell Dragon Fire Asian and love it but I'm not sure it's what I'd choose to grind away with all day in a professional environment. Although, having said that, you might give one of their BD1N nakiri's a look. I'm experimenting with nakiris (home cook) and really warming up to the blade style for veggies and light meats like chicken breast and such.

EDIT: Sorry I missed the 10" or longer requirement. Not sure if they offer a longer one.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I need to research the production knives as I didn't see blade widths shown at 1st glance.

I do hope some of the makers here have or can make one for me. Altho I understand my budget may not allow it.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I need to research the production knives as I didn't see blade widths shown at 1st glance.

I do hope some of the makers here have or can make one for me. Altho I understand my budget may not allow it.

Look up @Eric J.S.

He makes some beautiful stuff that might be in your price range.

IMG_0730.jpg
Not too far out of your stated price range. AEB-L at 61, 250mm x 50mm+, Amboyna burl handle.

Jdm. Very nice! The only box it doesn't tick is 2.25 or wider.

I recently purchased a relatively plain-looking 8-inch chef's knife from Joe Calton that I really love. I'm a steel snob, and this one came in 440C, which I have always held in contempt. But Joe is known for his use of simple steels with an excellent heat treat.

The knife has two big advantages: 1) very aggressive geometry (thin blade with something south of 0.008 inches for the edge width at the shoulders); and 2) a nice, comfortable and large handle. Those two qualities put all my "better" chef knives back in the block.

I've been looking at the Takeda 240mm Gyuto, it seems like what I want but the price is $380.00 which is more than a weeks pay for me and hard to pull the trigger on for that reason.
Any more opinions?

Hey, a lot of us go even older and "cheaper" with our steel. Stuff like AEB-L, the steel that you shave your face with. ;)
I recently purchased a relatively plain-looking 8-inch chef's knife from Joe Calton that I really love. I'm a steel snob, and this one came in 440C, which I have always held in contempt. But Joe is known for his use of simple steels with an excellent heat treat.

The knife has two big advantages: 1) very aggressive geometry (thin blade with something south of 0.008 inches for the edge width at the shoulders); and 2) a nice, comfortable and large handle. Those two qualities put all my "better" chef knives back in the block.

I've got a 260mm gyuto in 20CV that's ready for handle material which would be in the $350 range with some nice Rosewood or Cocobolo. But it has a 50mm heel height and is over your budge so it may not be what you're looking for.
Good luck!

Thanks for the input everyone!
I will be trying a knife that has approximately 2 in width heel soonish.
And that may change my mind about widths.

Last evening I purchased a Shiro Kamo 240mm R2 Gyuto.
The blade height seems to be 55 to 59 mm from the research Ive done and I requested the tallest they had.
Sometime next week I should have it in hand and hopefully it will be what I've been wanting.

Back