Recommendation? Help me choose a cheap EDC

Hey there, this is my first post!

I was looking for some advice on choosing a new EDC knife for just general utility use. I'm not rough/hard on my knives, no prying/scraping, etc. Just general opening of packaging, cutting food/snacks, and should the situation arise- piece of mind/protection. I'm not a big "tactical" or CQC knife kind of guy. For a rather long time I carried a Kershaw Freefall and loved it- the size was just right, it was comfortable to use, easy to deploy one-handed, and it fit me well. There was little in the way of things to use it for that it didn't do well, but the only real complaint (and nitpicking really) was that I didn't like the tanto style. Minor really :D

Keep in mind this is not a knife that is used for work, just the occasional things a knife is used for. A folder is a must.

I was very happy with it (and even liked it better than some higher-end Spyderco and CRKT knives friends/family let me borrow to try out) until it just flat out disappeared one day on the way home from work. The only other folding knife I had on hand that was a Kershaw Shuffle (purple, high visibilty with my camping stuff, and my favorite color) So I started carrying that, and here a year later I still carry it :confused:

I like the Shuffle a lot, actually far more than I thought I would, but I do find some things I don't like. I wish it was easier to deploy one handed, as well as to close with one hand. While not impossible for me to open one handed, I really wish it was assisted opening. I also wished it was just a little longer blade as well. I do however really like the bottle opener function, and find the "flathead screwdriver" lanyard loop to be pretty handy as well, but not a totally needed option.

So, looking at replacements, I immediately thought of another Freefall, the price is right, as if I lose a ~100$ knife versus a ~25$ knife there's a big difference in how bummed out I'll be. I do however want to try something different- With the new knife purchase I've been overthinking it, of course, but I think I've narrowed it down to a handful of affordable options. Mainly Kershaw, due to price and familiarity with them. Similar suggestions are welcome.

I know for sure that I don't want serrations, gut hooks, or any tacticool features. Just a nice, affordable, quality knife with no unnecessary frills. I carry in my right hand pocket (work uniform is Propper khaki BDU type pants) hanging inside the pocket with the clip over the edge outside the pocket- so that the knife will open downwards with the cutting surface facing behind me as I remove it and open it. Does that make sense? I find this is the easiest and most seamless/instinctive way for me to use knives when they are assisted opening, and makes for a very quick and handy tool when needed.

So far I was thinking of the following-

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/link

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/dividend

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/cryo-g-10

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/portal

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/rove

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/clash

In particular I was thinking that the Clash, Link, or Rove would probably fit the bill nicely. The Clash in particular may be pretty nice with the more substantial handle/scales it appear to have.

Thanks for any advice, and Looking forward to any suggestions from folks that have handled these knives.

Last edited:
I'd suggest either the CRKT Cuatro (non-assisted flipper) or the Kershaw Atmos (also flipper). Both 3" blades, very non threatening.
Rich

Kershaw knives are generally a good value, but personally I would only consider the ones that aren't assisted opening.

The Byrd Raven 2 in BD1 tool steel, and the Ruike knives in 14c28n Sandvik steel are very tough to beat. If you have some decent skill at sharpening there are some very nice D2 knives all around the $40 mark, the Rat 1&2, Esee Zancudo, most entry level Bestech knives are also very nice for the money. If I were only going to carry 1 EDC though, I'd go with a Spyderco Endura. Has to he my favorite design, VG-10 steel is very nice, and I can operate it one-handed with gloves on. Get a used one and call it a day ;)

Reactions: Mo2
I also started out with a $45 folder. That one had an 8Cr13MoV blade. Experience with it caused me move on to other knives with blades made of better and more costly steels. If I was back at my starting point again (with the knowledge I have now) I’d wait, save and build up my knife-buying fund until I could afford something with a blade made of at least S35VN or preferably something in the M390-S90V-Elmax-20CV ballpark. Biting the bullet, saving and waiting isn’t any fun but I ended up doing it anyhow.

At any rate, it sounds like you’re already pretty well focused on a budget Kershaw and you won’t hurt yourself by buying one of them. If you pick the one you best like the description of, you’ll be happy with it ... until hanging around this forum, reading and looking at all the pix here drive you into other, upgraded buys. If I had to bet, I’d bet you’ll be into those upgraded buys in less than a year. It only took me a few months before I was into Zt's and then CRK's.

Reactions: Mo2
I own the link in m390 steel(which can often be found used on the exchange here for a few $$ more). For me, it’s a 3 finger grip as are most 3-3 1/4” knives, esp. kershaws. The knockout probably has the best handle/steel combination. The Onion is a good choice and available in bdz-1, 14c28n, and s30v for well under $100.
For a cheap knife with great blade steel, someone recommended the rat 1 in d2. I couldn’t agree more. The blade stays sharp for a very long time, and is quite easy to keep sharp with strop or sharpen with dmt extra fine(green) diafold.

I really like that Rat 1 and 2, I'll have to see if I can get hands on one in person. Looks much more simple and utilitarian than the Kershaw stuff usually does!

Keep the suggestions coming guys! I'll write up a list to check out at the local knife shop, they are pretty well stocked usually.

I'd love to grab something higher end but I can't really justify it currently for how little use it will usually get- that and if I'm not at work (six days a week usually) I'm commuting to and from and would keep a larger fixed blade knife within reach, or run a fixie on my belt on my off days.

Ive owned both th link and dividend. Great usa made knives. Ive also owned the cryo 1 and 2. The cryo is one of my favorite designs. I just bought a knockout from a member on the forum. Looking forward to getting it to try out. Cant beat a kershaw in my opinion. Kershaw and buck are 2 of my favorites for surr. Im carryimg a vantage avid today.

I run ZT grid for work, its a bigger blade which I prefer and assisted opening flipper. The handle is not metal but feels like it so it's pretty light. I'd recommend it.

How about a Kershaw Leek?

The tip is a little fragile but if you don't work your knives hard it will be fine.

I have/have had several knives all over the price spectrum. But my daily carry is a Buck Spitfire 420hc version I bought for $30 on Ebay. I use a cold steel pro lite at work and I have used a Kabar dozier as a work knife and given away a few Kabar doziers. All great budget edc knives. For self defense I would go Kershaw cqc 10 or 11 maybe

I'll give another nod to the Leek. It's just a great EDC, especially if you aren't hard on knives.
It's assisted like you want, and can be opened by either the thumb studs or flipper. It's also fairly classy compared to a lot of others out there. I loved mine, at least until the wife stole it from me!

The Rat 1 or 2 are also good options, though a little more utilitarian in look and feel.

Also, maybe look into some of the offerings from Steel Will, Bestek or Kizer. They're all Chinese brands, but all have gained quite a reputation for good quality for the price. I currently have a Steel will Modus in my pocket, and am quite impressed with it.

If ease of opening is high on your list, consider flippers as well as assisted. A lot of guys here don't really like assisted opening, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else.

good luck, there is a ton of decent stuff out there in the $30-75 price range these days... but there's also a bunch of crap, so check back here if you're not sure on something's quality.

I like when the OP asked for budget recommendations and somebody says ZT! I see you liking assisted openers and no real desire for super steel so your looking at the Kershaw Link is a good choice, but the handle is a bit short for my hand however they are USA made. Maybe try the Ontario Rat1 assisted model it will hold an edge just a bit better than the link and has a nice roomy handle they both run about $40 plus shipping. If you decide non-assisted is fine I would suggest the larger Kabar Dozier drop point model, comfortable and good looks for around $25. Or the Kershaw Injection 3.5 ,full flat grind G10 scales and only like $15 shipped.

Grab that Kershaw Dividend and don't look back.

It's made in the USA of decent stuff... their 420HC is very easy to sharpen and maintain (But get the M390!)

It's configured for right hand tip up carry (the kind of carry you described as liking).

Go over to KershawGuy.com and type "dividend" into the search bar. Then grab one.

Steel Will Modus F25-12 Linerlock
about $40 and it's a great knife in D2 blade-steel. I've purchased one and am planning to get a second one so the first one has someone to talk to. :)

Last edited:
Kershaw Atmos - non-assisted flipper for around $45. One of my regular rotation EDC's
Dividend is also excellent though around $80 for the better steel.

Back