Help me choose a new folder

Budget, $300 or less
Auto (but not OTF)
Tanto blade preferred
Blade length, +/- 4"
Over built is OK, but not a deal breaker for the right design.

First choice currently, was a Microtech Socom Elite, but I know there's other great choices from say ZT, etc in that price range and i want to cry once/buy once

Last edited:
For those specs, I think you're stuck with Microtech. Other offerings from Benchmade, Hogue, or Protech are going to come in too short in blade length.

For those specs, I think you're stuck with Microtech. Other offerings from Benchmade, Hogue, or Protech are going to come in too short in blade length.

It would replace a BM Presidio with Blade Length: 3.72" which has been great. So, per above, shy of 4" is ok.

Give your desired specs, your first choice is the best choice, imo. I had the manual version, and it was awesome (F&F, action, sharpness, ergos, etc.).

I have a brand new Socom Elite tanto arriving today although it’s a manual.

But I’m still somewhat intrigued by the auto version.

Not a Tanto, but a more unusual option:
34500.jpg

Hogue EX-A05 4" Wharncliffe.

I currently own 23 automatics. 18 of these are side opening but none of them are tantos; don't know how many (if any) of them could be purchased w/a tanto blade. One of the 18 is a vintage stiletto that I is a special case and is not comparable to any of the other autos.

Of the 17 other side openers, 11 have blades between 3.5-4":

Benchmade Auto Stryker
Boker Kalashnikov XL
Gerber Emerson Alliance
Hogue EX-A05
Kershaw Rogue
MicroTech Stitch
ProTech TR-3 X-1
SOG Spec Elite II
Spyderco Automony 2
Spyderco Citadel
Spyderco Valloton D/A Auto

The Rogue and Citadel are discontinued and difficult to find and, if found, will probably cost close to if not more than $300. The Stitch is still available but costs more than $300. The Valloton D/A is a custom knife and, if you can find one or get one converted by Vallaton will cost at least $300 or more.

So that leaves 7 others.

If I were to recommend only 1 from the remainder it would be the Spyderco Automony 2 which costs about $190 ($290 retail) NIB from any # of dealers. Great knife and great company to deal with. It also has a corrosion resistant 3.5" LC200N blade on it.

On the other hand, if you just want a 4" auto and don't plan to do much w/it, there's nothing really wrong w/the $40 Boker XL either (except it doesn't have a safety swtich, which I prefer to have on my autos). You'd expect 13CrMov8 for such a cheap knife but it comes in AUS-8 which is a perfectly respectable steel for normal use.

Between these 2, I'd recommend the SOG (SE-61) which can be had for about $105 (retail $175). It is slim and compact and a beautiful (to me) 4" AUS-8 polished blade. It's a great deal IMO.

The 4 others retail around $250-$275 and sell for around $170-240, well w/in your price range. I just bought the Hogue NIB for $170 (it retails for around $250). The Protech goes for $180 (retail $250) . The Gerber goes for about $190 (retail $240). And, the Auto Stryker goes for about $240 (retail $275). Their higher prices reflect better steel and manufacturing quality but are otherwise functionally equivalent to knives costing less.

I like ALL of these autos based on their individual features (which is why I bought them) and I would have no problem carrying any of them, if it were legal for me to do (which it is not, except in the privacy of my home).

Which you will like best depends on what you consider important in a knife. Take a look at these on the Net . Then try to narrow down what you like best in a knife and which of these (if any) meets those preferences.

Good luck!

OBTW, the Microtech Socom Elite Auto is on my "buy list" and will probably be the next auto that I buy.

Last edited:
Budget, $300 or less
Auto (but not OTF)
Tanto blade preferred
Blade length, +/- 4"
Over built is OK, but not a deal breaker for the right design.

First choice currently, was a Microtech Socom Elite, but I know there's other great choices from say ZT, etc in that price range and i want to cry once/buy once

Hogue has an Auto version of their EX01 4” tanto but imho the Microtech is way nicer. The Hogue is built flawlessly but its handle felt abit boxy in my hand. For some reason the 4” auto tanto hogue seems to only come in their gmascus (g10) handle and not aluminum.

34108.jpg

OP: I just agreed to buy a tanto Socom Elite auto off the Exchange. Will let you know what I think of it as compared w/the others mentioned above after I get it.

Just noticed your mention of ZTs and there are only 2 ZT autos that I know of - the 0610 and 0650, both of which are discontinued and that'll probably cost you a lot more than $300 if you can find one. There was a 0650ST on a well known consignment site that sold for $600.

Last edited:
OP: I just agreed to buy a tanto Socom Elite auto off the Exchange. Will let you know what I think of it as compared w/the others mentioned above after I get it.

Just received the Socom Elite tanto combo and really like it.

It's the 2nd largest side opener that I now own; only smaller than the Hogue EX-A05. No safety but the release button has to be pushed down forcefully to deploy the blade, which is an impressive piece of steel. Retail is $275. If you like large knives, you'll like it too.

EzyWatermark1810021142541054_300x300.png

The Hogue only cost me $170 but can be bought generally for $200. If you like bigger, then you'd like the Hogue better but it only comes w/a spear point or wharncliffe blade.

34510.jpg

Last edited:
OP: It's the Socom all day, based on your parameters. I don't like Microtech, I don't like blades thicker than .15" in folders, I don't like "tactical" knives... and I've almost bought that knife dozens of times. I come close every time one comes in for sharpening. It's hands down one of the nicest autos on the market and fits your wish list perfectly. Just get one.

Back