Recommendation? Help me decide BK16 or BK18

Ok folks im back!

Sorry for the hiatus but life kicked me in the guts a few times but ultimately I wonthe fight. Lost a job, got another one, lost it, did odd jobs for a bit, finally landed where I needed to be.

Anyway I have wanted a tweener for a while, and now that the play $$ is starting become a thing again I'm trying to decide which is right for me. I had decided the BK16 was my choice, but as I went looking at them again I saw a new blade in the line up. The BK18!! I have to say the BK18 speaks to me, may e even calls to me, but I can't shake the love for the BK16.

So which would you choose between the 2? Why? Eventually I may have to own both but for now it is a choice.

Ice

The 16 rules as far as I'm concerned in the tweener lineup, it's perfect in so many ways. If it was made in SV35 it would be my absolute favorite blade, PERIOD !!!!! The 16 and the 9 will cover 99% of all fixed blade knife needs.

Yeah, I think the 16 is the most practical. The 18 is sexier, but the 16 is a meditation in blade design.

I would choose both. :)

The 16 is a great all-around performer. I thinned one of mine even more, and made basically a zero edge out near the tip.

It cuts great and does double duty as a kitchen camp knife very well.

I have to agree with everything said above, so my suggestion is buy the 18 now -- then save up and buy a 16 later.
If you buy the 16 first, it'll also be last, and then you will always regret missing out on the 18s

I agree with what people have said about the 16 being the practical choice, and the 18 being the sexy choice. But personally i went with the 18. The 16 is a great design, so great in fact that there are similar enough knives to the 16 which i own that it pushed me to get something a little different.

Go with what speaks to you the loudest :D Both are Great Knives and should serve you well :thumbsup::thumbsup: The 18 has a very pointed tip and if abused the wrong way will not be as forgiving as the 16. But if used right the point can prove to be very handy ;)
Sexy
81ED2BA7-7526-4AA0-BE44-F86F9B1B8ECB.jpeg
And just good Lookin :p
79B1734C-35D6-40EB-9D57-7B43A7D5F5A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Being Devil's advocate.... I say pick the 62. I know you didn't offer that as a suggestion, but in My opinion the handle/scales on the 62 are WAY more comfortable than the tweeners....

I was thinking my "Grail Knife" was going to be the 15.... I Finally recently got one, modified it Nicely (pictures soon) and realized.... It might not be for me. The knife is too small, and too big at the Same time. Doesn't feel useful. I don't like how it feels.

The bk62 is a pleasure to use. The simplicity of the design is what's So Great about it.
*Just something more to think about.

Go with what speaks to you the loudest :D Both are Great Knives and should serve you well :thumbsup::thumbsup: The 18 has a very pointed tip and if abused the wrong way will not be as forgiving as the 16. But if used right the point can prove to be very handy ;)
Sexy
View attachment 1445029
And just good Lookin :p
View attachment 1445030

Now that is a sexy looking 16. With those looks which appears to be a satin finish, its tempting me to pick one up.

I agree with Vik and the others that the 18 is a great knife and fairly comparable to the 16. But we don't know what Kabar will do in the future. They have discontinued other knives. but like Vik said, the 16 isn't going anywhere. Good luck on deciding....

I'd go with 16. I have both. I think the 16 is more generic. I liked the 18 for the unusual harpoon shape and I really like the tweener handle ... although I do put a liner onto the handles to "thicken" them a little, as I prefer a wider handle. Of course, doing this with the 16 has no subsequent mod requirements for the sheath - unlike the 18 sheath _ unless you buy a custom one.

Here’s the drill.

Carry a mask, snorkel, and grab a three prong and a T. Walk to ocean and drop in. Swim away from shore a bit to minimize damage. Drop the spear and T. Slide on fins. Spit and wipe mask, put on. Dive and pick up gear.

Swim and scan. Tako are experts at hiding. Their tell is the food remains they leave behind. Shellfish have white interiors, and they pile them up outside their den.

Use your spear to tickle the hole. If one is inside they will unfurl a leg or two and grip your spear. You gently irritate them enough to come out. Then you grab them as they leave the mouth of the den.

They will ink. You will have to use your hands to secure them as they grip the spear. Some people bite them over the two eyes to distpatch them quickly. This is a good method. Some will spear them with the T to keep them alive so they live and move. This can attract bigger game, but is also painful for the Octopus. The Tako will also climb up the length of the T to get free. What to do is up to the diver.

Once in shore, it’s good to vili the Tako by dropping it in a bucket repeatedly. This will eventually work out the slime. Sit next to a bucket, turn the head inside out, collect the ink bag (it’s good flavoring for raw poke squid kine pupu) and hold the head with a couple fingers. Drop the Tako over and over into the bucket with sea salt.

After 20 minutes or more, the legs will curl and the skin will turn grey. This is prime time to decide how you want to eat it. Everything is edible except the beak.

Octopus are smart and a blessing. An awesome creature for sure.

Last edited:
Back