Help me decide guys: 940 or Super Freek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmade guy here. I've had the Super Freek in M4 with G10 scales for a week. Amazing knife, colors are amazing, love M4 way more than S30V. However, I have very small hands. The Super Freek isn't an issue ergonomically speaking, but the 940 is a lot slimmer and lighter plus it's basically the Benchmade of Benchmade knives which is what's drawing me towards it. Should I return the Super Freek and get the 940 in S30V instead? A strong tip, prying, and occasionally batoning is a must for me.

My wife knows nothing about knives but says the 940 looks like it's going to break on me compared to my Super Freek.

Last edited:
What steelhead said. Don't baton with folding knives and don't pry with knives period. I'm not saying you cant do it but they are not made to do that. You are risking an expensive tool for no reason. I personally like the 940 better for edc and would back it up with a good fixed blade. If you don't feel like buying other knives just keep using the freek and possibly look at getting a good fixed blade in the future. Cheers and good luck with your decision.

I personally carry a Victorinox multitool with a reamer for "drilling", and a can opener and bottle opener for light prying. I carry this in addition to a standalone pocket knife.

I wouldn't recommend batoning with a folding knife, but if you are going to do that, do it while the knife isn't locked, i.e. in a half open position.

The M4 steel will serve you better in terms of withstanding abuse, but really I'd recommend something like a fixed blade in A2, 3V, or even 1095. But you do you, man!

In a "this or that" situation, I think the Super Freek will serve you better.

Between the 2, super Freek. I have both, the 940 is a nice, light carry, but the Super Freek is just a beast.

But if you're going to baton and pry, get a fixed blade and a prybar. Or better yet, a hatchet and pry bar. Right tool for the job.

I would prefer the 940 .
Carry a fixed for the other activities you want to do.

I personally carry a Victorinox multitool with a reamer for "drilling", and a can opener and bottle opener for light prying. I carry this in addition to a standalone pocket knife.

I wouldn't recommend batoning with a folding knife, but if you are going to do that, do it while the knife isn't locked, i.e. in a half open position.

The M4 steel will serve you better in terms of withstanding abuse, but really I'd recommend something like a fixed blade in A2, 3V, or even 1095. But you do you, man!

In a "this or that" situation, I think the Super Freek will serve you better.
Second to Victorinox suggestion. Most basic models would have the flathead, which is perfect for light prying. At least it is much more durable than a knife tip, and it won't break the bank.

I don't know about batoning with folding knives, if you don't mind trashing the knives and use them as disposable, I guess it is possible.

You can baton a Triad lock (Cold Steel) although id maybe return it and get a Recon Scout and a folder? In all reality your knife is your knife but batoning an axis is going to lead to failure. Youtube it. I severely doubt you'd break a triad lock but still not a great idea. Good luck amigo!!

P.s. I'd take the freek over the 940 for your uses, and just in general.

Don't baton with a folder, especially not with it locked open.

Prying is also not recommended with a knife, generally speaking. They are heat treated to work as cutting tools (ie. hard and brittle, not tough) and will snap if you overdo it during prying.

Get a $5 keychain prybar and buy the knife that works the best for you. I'd recommend the Super Freak, as it will cut better and has more preferable steel, though you have to contend with keeping it dry.

Want big knife, get Super Freek. It's a handful and a pocketful. Looks very striking and has a nicely hollow ground M4 blade.

The 940 makes compromises on steel and cutting geometry in this comparison, but the it's so darn pocket friendly. Same amount of edge with what seems like half the mass. Designed in way that it doesn't feel like a small and flimsy knife. You can carry this knife in any clothing and you'll very rarely feel under-knifed.

You can't lose. Get both. In my book the 940 is one of the very best designed pocket knives of all time, but the Super Freek could serve some people better depending on what they're after.

Benchmade guy here. I've had the Super Freek in M4 with G10 scales for a week. Amazing knife, colors are amazing, love M4 way more than S30V. However, I have very small hands. The Super Freek isn't an issue ergonomically speaking, but the 940 is a lot slimmer and lighter plus it's basically the Benchmade of Benchmade knives which is what's drawing me towards it. Should I return the Super Freek and get the 940 in S30V instead? A strong tip, prying, and occasionally batoning is a must for me.

My wife knows nothing about knives but says the 940 looks like it's going to break on me compared to my Super Freek.

What nobody else has said here, and I think absolutely needs mentioning, is that if you've had the Super Freek for a week and have used and carried it (and sharpened it, and changed the clip on it) you should absolutely NOT be sending it back! o_O Holy crap, you don't get to try out knives for an extended period. :poop: You buy it and you use it, then you sell it here as lightly used if you don't like it. You don't send it back to the dealer dude. :thumbsdown:

And for crying out loud, don't pry and baton with a folding knife! :rolleyes:

What nobody else has said here, and I think absolutely needs mentioning, is that if you've had the Super Freek for a week and have used and carried it (and sharpened it, and changed the clip on it) you should absolutely NOT be sending it back! o_O Holy crap, you don't get to try out knives for an extended period. :poop: You buy it and you use it, then you sell it here as lightly used if you don't like it. You don't send it back to the dealer dude. :thumbsdown:

And for crying out loud, don't pry and baton with a folding knife! :rolleyes:
This right here. In another thread the OP has claimed to have sharpened the knife. That knife now belongs to the OP. He cannot in good conscience return the knife to where ever he bought it.

Why not pick up one of the EOD Breacher Bars from County Comm? Pry bar on the end, froe edge on the side. Available in different sizes. They're even powder coating them in different colors now. Or a pocket Widgy, but no froe. Either way, they're inexpensive and made to beat on.

This right here. In another thread the OP has claimed to have sharpened the knife. That knife now belongs to the OP. He cannot in good conscience return the knife to where ever he bought it.

I suspect now that this pertinent information has been provided here the OP will probably not be back to discuss this further. Discussing returning a sharpened knife, really?

Two words for you,fixed blade!

Got mine recently, put a deep carry pocket clip on it, and a hair popping edge. BM doesn't have many M4 knives and Spyderco's Pm2 and Pm3 is sold out in M4. The G10 scale design with the red on the Super Freek looks sick. I think it's a steal with the M4 blade on it too. It takes a higher HRC than other steels plus it has awesome edge retention for the toughness it offers.
And in case anyone is interested, here's the post where he discussed sharpening the knife in question. Bold and Italics were added by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back