Help Me Name a Knife! ***Winner**

Been listening to some Grateful Dead, and since it is a houndstooth, how about "The Dire Wolf" jack or something to that effect :p

Didn't read through all the posts to see if it was already suggested but as a dogleg pattern the name DOGWOOD JACK sounds fitting to me (apparently its already been used).

A couple of naming schemes seem to be appropriate to me, one would be naming knives after trees or forests, another would be giving them names for exploration of the Northwoods.

Ash
Alder
Birch
Buckeye jack
Cypress jack
Douglas (Douglas Fir)
Ponderosa
Sequoia
Spruce
Olympic
Eldorado
Kodiak
Evergreen
Grove
Strand

Pathfinder
Explorer
Seeker
Adventurer
Wanderer
Discoverer
Traveler

Last edited:
Didn't read through all the posts to see if it was already suggested but as a dogleg pattern the name DOGWOOD JACK sounds fitting to me. Or for something more rustic sounding how about the WANDERER jack

This is the Northwoods Scagel Dogwood

Excellent input given so far...

Definitely looking forward to this knife, and would like to
contribute here. Thank you for the opportunity, Derrick.

Here are a few I would like to humbly submit for consideration:

- Slickback Jack, or Slideback Jack (for the frame profile)

- Arrowback Jack

- Diamondback Jack (serpentine lines)

- Crooked Arrow Jack

If we are going for our neck of the woods, I suggest Siskiyou Jack but my first thought was in the North Woods, Menomonie Jack.

I would call it the Tamarack, as in Tamarack Pine (please check my spelling). I think a Northwoods knife should be named after a tree found in the North Woods.

Faiaoga

One Eyed Jack - after the Scagel hole

Jack Nicholson
Jack Lemon
Jack Benny
Jack Rabbit
Jack........................................

Last edited by a moderator:
Another try! How about "Husky Jack" or "Sleddog Jack" or "Great Jack North". Last one: "Jack be Nimble" due to it's nice size and handiness.

some great names!

We will let this run until they arrive and then we will announce a winner! :)

One more just came to mind. "Iditarod Jack". Not much further north than that!

I already mentioned burnside jack, and I'll stand by that name. But, I've been reading this old dime store western novel about a man hired by a railroad contractor to clean up a railroad town (think Hell on Wheels for setting and theme). The other characters in the book refer to this man and his own brand of justice and law as a "high hander," on account of his rough and tumble, yet tough as stone ways. It made me think of your challenge. So how about The High Hander Jack?

With or without Jack on these, of course.

I'd say keep it locally inspired and go with Willamette or Kalapuya.

And a few more Oregon-inspired names that I don't think have been submitted yet,

Alsea (Jack)
Umatilla (Jack)
Siletz (Jack)
Klamath (Jack)
Deschutes (Jack)
Clatsop (Jack)
Yamhill (Jack)
Mulnomah (Jack)
Clackamas (Jack)

Back