Help me name my neck knife design? - Edge-C, aka Every Day Gent's Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings BFFs!

Looking for a family friendly, non-theological (or pseudo-theological), non-pop culture reference, s**ual innuendo-free name for my neck knife design. Believe it or not, that still leaves a lot of possibilities!

This is the knife; don't mind the scratches, as it is now my 24/7 user/beater.
IMG_9636.JPG
IMG_9637.JPG

Mine has python Micarta scales, but as I am a custom maker, handle options are wide ranging.

And here are some of the blade shape variants that will be offered:
necker-examples-jpg.1508335

I'd like the name to be something catchy that one would look at the design, and think "yeah, that makes sense". Now, I kind of thought it looked a bit like a pterodactyl or a mosquito, but the first name is taken, and I don't know about the second.

The original inspiration came last year from a piece of cut off steel I had that seemed a bit too large to throw away. But it was just too slim and oddly shaped to make a knife out of it. Or was it??

The result was my "Super Pointy Wharncliffe".
img_7436-jpg.1379122

Fast forward to now, and I have revisited the design, taking the elements that worked on the original design, and amplifying them. You can see the changes for yourself if you compare, but I will list them for your convenience.

The new knife is:
Slimmer, lighter,
has a full height grind,
more pronounced thumb ramp, with finer jimping,
a straighter handle to point relationship,
and no fob hole (the handle is long enough to not need such a thing).

This design is extremely versatile. Here are some of the many ways it can be comfortably gripped and used:

Saber grip
IMG_9638.JPG

Filipino grip
IMG_9639.JPG

Reverse grip edge out
IMG_9641.JPG

Reverse grip edge in
IMG_9642.JPG

Pencil grip
IMG_9640.JPG

Pinch grip
IMG_9644.JPG

I don't want to know why you would need this grip :confused:
IMG_9643.JPG

And at a mere 1.9 oz, mine now lives around my neck along with my house key.
IMG_9635.JPG

Given the great versatility of this design, it's my intention to offer it, and variants, primarily in AEB-L, and also with a few different blade shapes (my AEB-L order book thread has some examples). At this time, I have a few orders on the books for some of these, and a couple left to sell, and after that I am pretty sure I'll want to make more.

So with no further ado, what would be a good name for this design series?

family friendly, non-theological (or pseudo-theological), non-pop culture reference, non-s**ual

I'm going to offer my customary 15% discount to the one whose name suggestion I end up choosing on your first purchase of one of this design.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm at my brother's playing tug with the dogs, I propose...

The David Mary Hound's Tooth

Lol! I'm going to try and avoid the fear factor on this one. :)

On the list.

Proboscis

The nerd side of me likes it... almost enough to put it on the list.

Haha! On the list.

That is a beautiful knife!

Thank you!

The Witch Finger, at least that's what it reminds me of.

Too occult for me, sorry. Gonna expand my disclaimer on the next one I guess. ;)

Hound's Tooth

Interesting. On the list. But you gave me an idea: Incisor... anyone know if that's taken?

Wharnscalpel or the work razor

Me likey!

Dmc precision work knife or the edgc every day gentleman’s carry

I really like EDGC! I think I'd pronounce it "Edge-C". I like the ring to it.

On the list!

Splinter

Sliver

Both on the list!

Wharning

Wharned

Be Wharn or To Be Wharn or 2B Wharn

Good ideas, but sadly taken.

I’d like to call it mine.:p

We have a winner! You are correct, sir, I do call that one mine! ;)

Wasp or hornet seem like a good fit.

You could combine wharncliff and hornet to get whornet but that might accidentally break your naming rules!

Urtica is Latin for nettle and the genus in which stinging nettles reside. Also refers to urticating hairs on various spiders and caterpillars....

Wasp or hornet seem like a good fit.

You could combine wharncliff and hornet to get whornet but that might accidentally break your naming rules!

Yeah, a little too close for comfort. Neat idea though. Last year I made this, and called it a wasp-cliffe:

img_7056-jpg.1361539

(Wharncliffe + Neck knife)/Hornet = Wharneck?

I'd say its on the list if this design was strictly going to be wharncliffes, but remember:

Given the great versatility of this design, it's my intention to offer it, and variants, primarily in AEB-L, and also with a few different blade shapes

So the name I pick is not going to be tied to the wharncliffe blade shape.

Necker examples.jpg

How about Piccolo or Picco?

Piccolo is Italian for small, but has a decent ring to it and could apply to different blade shapes.

Picco is Italian for "spike."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back