Help me pick a small fixed blade

Hello everyone, this is my first post! Sorry if it is in the wrong spot. I was hoping to get your experiences and opinions on perhaps my next knife purchase. I have many folders and my fixed blades are mostly moras or my tops msk. When I am hiking or outdoors I want a small uncoated, stainless fixed blade that can fit into my front pocked or small backpack, fanny pack etc. My scandi ground knives are great but not great for slicing and food prep. I use my folders to help with food but they are annoying to clean.

I live in Canada, so ordering from USA is costly and I try to avoid it.

I found a Canadian dealer that has 2 knives that interest me. The lionsteel m1 and the Bark river PSK Elmax. Both are expensive but might be worth it. I heard the lionsteel m1 might be too thick to cut well.

Can you offer your experiences with these 2 knives? (of note: bradford guardian 3 does not interest me)

Why not a custom?
@Willie71 is located in Canada and makes high performance users for outdoorsman.
I know very little about the custom knife world but I imagine it takes time and is costly. I may go down that rabbit hole in the future, but not at this time. Certainly something to think about, thank you.

Michael Morris knives, PEEWEE model, check out his web site , fantastic little fixed blade all you will need and at a great price.

I'd suggest something with a blade length close to three inches for a small fixed blade intended for outdoor use. Out of your choices, I'd go with the lionsteel m1 mainly because it's slightly larger.

I want a small uncoated, stainless fixed blade that can fit into my front pocked or small backpack, fanny pack etc.
Entrek Companion

953683965_tp.jpg

Of the 2 you have chosen, I would go with the LionSteel. A little more useful blade length is always a good thing.

Another possibility, if you can find one, is a White River Knives M1 Caper. Their treatment of S35VN is quite good...

Welcome to the forum! :) Id suggest a White River Knives backpacker but thats not one of the ones you stated. Out of the ones you stated, Id choose the Bark River. I dont have any experience with Lion Steel but my Bark Rivers have always given me good service. They tend to be great cutters, that convex grind is excellent.

Those are both kind of meh to me. If I was looking for a knife like that and I didn't like the Guardians I would check out Esee and Grohmann.

You'll find either of those for half the price.

Some very good suggestions so far, although some are difficult for me to get here. I have looked at white river backpacker, although I think I would prefer leather sheath to come standard as this would feel better in front pocket. It's still a contender.

My first idea is get a Buck 102. Then I thought of ESEE Izula 2 or 3, and finally
LT Wright. The smaller Northern Hunter is AEBL. Not sure what size you are looking at, a good size knife is an Enzo Necker in Sandvik.

Last edited:
Those are both kind of meh to me. If I was looking for a knife like that and I didn't like the Guardians I would check out Esee and Grohmann.

You'll find either of those for half the price.
Esee has mostly coated knives, and I don't like the billboarding on their knives. Grohmann is new to me, but it looks like they don't tell you the details of their steel?

If you don't sharpen knives, either get something in steel easy to sharpen or something that holds an edge well. I have knives from worthless to $1000 and I still keep a Gerber fixed blade on my backpack strap because I don't give a CRAP what happens to that knife, the LMF comes with a sharpener built in the sheath, and I can quickdraw it from my backpack strap faster than you can blink an eye.
I can't imagine hiking with a fixed blade in my pocket.

If you don't sharpen knives, either get something in steel easy to sharpen or something that holds an edge well. I have knives from worthless to $1000 and I still keep a Gerber fixed blade on my backpack strap because I don't give a CRAP what happens to that knife, the LMF comes with a sharpener built in the sheath, and I can quickdraw it from my backpack strap faster than you can blink an eye.
I can't imagine hiking with a fixed blade in my pocket.
I do sharpen and maintain my knives. I have a spyderco bow River in the mail (budget knife).

I do not like carrying a knife on my belt, I don't know why, I just don't. I prefer it in my pocket, backpack or fanny pack depending on how light I am traveling.

Esee has mostly coated knives, and I don't like the billboarding on their knives. Grohmann is new to me, but it looks like they don't tell you the details of their steel?
Checkout Grohmann's website. They're in Nova Scotia. I've had a Russell Canadian Belt Knife for 40+ years. Their carbon steel is close to 1080; their stainless is 4110, fine grained, takes a fine edge. Comparable to 440A. Both are German steels. I'd go with their carbon steel -- rust really isn't a concern if you're using the knife outdoors.

Welcome to the forums.

Of the two listed, I'd go with the Lionsteel. I prefer to max out blade and handle length whenever possible. I could understand going with BR if you just prefer a smaller package. Both should be great knives. You can't lose between those two imo.

If you will consider carbon steel and kydex, a few more options might be available (not sure in Canada). Linked from BHq for easy reference.

Not sure how you feel about tool steels.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Battle-Horse-Knives-Frontier-First--37853
https://www.bladehq.com/item--LT-Wright-Knives-Great-Plainsman--99135

Length, branding, and kydex might be a no for you.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Knives-Xancudo-Fixed-Blade--105735

I'd suggest the L.T. Wright Small Northern Hunter. Couple sites have it in stock in AEB-L steel around $120-145, depending on options.

Why not a custom?
@Willie71 is located in Canada and makes high performance users for outdoorsman.
I'll second this.
Since I received it, the knife I received fromWillie71 has been my most carried fixed blade. I still switch off periodically, just because I enjoy my other knives, too; but that one always ends up back with me.

You didn't mention your budget; but, if you're considering a Bark River, a lot of our custom makers are in range. (Hint - knives posted in the KnifeMakers section of the Exchange are completed - or nearly so, if offering choice of scales or other options - so you aren't looking at the wait for a full custom build.)

Back