Help me pick a small fixed blade

Esee has mostly coated knives, and I don't like the billboarding on their knives. Grohmann is new to me, but it looks like they don't tell you the details of their steel?

Their stainless knives aren't coated. They just released the ESEE 3 in S35VN, which is a solid steel. Whether it's readily available in Canada is another issue. Obviously, if you can get a Canada-made knife that works, that simplifies things.

Many knives are just too heavy and by the time a sheath is added the weight is really more than I would want to pack on a long hike. Some knives are as heavy as some of the light hatchets and I'd rather have the hatchet.

I do not like carrying a knife on my belt, I don't know why, I just don't. I prefer it in my pocket, backpack or fanny pack depending on how light I am traveling.

I've been carrying a Kabar Wrench Knife in my front pocket since it arrived last week

lYESF0A.jpg

the bow river is going to do exactly what you want I think... you'll be surprized at how well it does for what you've described ; )

I know it's sacrilege on bf to suggest 'not' buying another knife, but there you go
Thank you guys for so many suggestions and introducing me to Canadian brands that I didn't even know existed like Grohmann and North Arm. North arm looks like my style! There are so many good knives mentioned here, but as some have recommended I will wait until my Spyderco Bow River will come in to see what I do and do not like about it.

I do wish some of the knives mentioned were easier to get in Canada. In the future I may get a custom from Willie!

I do sharpen and maintain my knives. I have a spyderco bow River in the mail (budget knife).

I do not like carrying a knife on my belt, I don't know why, I just don't. I prefer it in my pocket, backpack or fanny pack depending on how light I am traveling.

I was impressed with the Bow River and bought another for my ol' man for a hip-worn fishing blade. It CAN simply be slipped into a front pocket, or maybe a pocket sheath... But it's quite thin and pointy... :eek::eek::eek:

I agree, at least try it out to see if it will do what you need before ordering more.

That said, if you want a cheap option that cuts great, is light, and is better for food prep than a Mora, I'm partial to the Cold Steel Roach Belly. The plastic sheath is nothing special, but for ~$15 you won't be out much if you screw it up or lose it. It's not FFG like the Bow River, but it has a super useful shape and is very light. After Moras, the Roach Belly is one of my favorite cheap fixed knives.

I use the Cold Steel Roach belly and Canadian belt knife as travel food prep knifes. Amazing value and a no brainer with those durable sheaths for travel.

For a daily fixed blade, I have dozens of small (3.5" and less) fixies to choose from.

BK14 is my go-to. It's a tank, pocket survival blade. Works with every grip imaginable. I can baton for a fire, or peel the skin off an apple.

But, I'm intrigued by the Esee CR 2.5. Chunky scalpel.

A Schrade sharpfinger is also incredibly useful.

CRKT mossback bird and trout is an amazing little pocket scalpel lazer.

Also check David Mary Customs in the makers forum. He's also in the Great White North.
I have one blade from him. Very happy, reasonable pricing.

DSC_2681.jpg

He just listed a couple of knives in the for sale forum.

I have that Ka-Bar Wrench knife on the way :thumbsup:

Here is a little Battle Horse Knives knife in green/tan micarta. They had a display at a gun show and I thought it looked cute. I ran out of money for anything bigger too. It's only a three finger knife but I put a lanyard on and that made a huge difference. Also, nice leather sheath and it's comfortable wearing it around the neck.

Just arrived today, a Brisa Knives (formerly EnZo) Necker 70 in black micarta and Sandvik 12C27. A little over 6 inches, 2.5" blade. I can get four fingers on it for the most part. Kydex sheath for front/rear pocket carry. Exactly what I was looking for.

BRISA%2B-%2BBHK%2B04.jpg

So I got the Spyderco Bow River delivered, and my initial impressions is that it will be a great food prep knife, but it is not suitable for front pocket carry. It is just too long and pointy. It will be in my kitchen and carried via backpack. It might be too big for fannypack too.

I will continue to monitor the suggestions in this thread and post any updates!

Yeah, at 8.14" that Spyderco might be a little long for the front pocket. I recommend you stay around 6 - 6.25", but it might best to stick a ruler in your pocket or turn your pants inside out and measure the pocket from the inside. Account for another .25" the sheath may add.

There are several very neat, very affordable and pocketable fixed blades currently on page 1 and 2 right here in the Knifemaker's Forum---> Fixed Blades. Definitely worth a look.

I can't PM you because you are not a paying member, but if you give me an email I have some suggestions (maybe you van PM me?) I don't want to post my email in public, think of a way to get in touch and I have a few ideas for you

Yeah, at 8.14" that Spyderco might be a little long for the front pocket. I recommend you stay around 6 - 6.25", but it might best to stick a ruler in your pocket or turn your pants inside out and measure the pocket from the inside. Account for another .25" the sheath may add.
8" is about the limit depending on the design of the knife. For instance, right now I have the larger of these two in the right front pocket of my jeans.

OT33Rtgl.jpg

Its total length is 8" in the sheath, and its almost 7/8" at its widest point. It sits along the back of the pocket right along the seam and the top is just at the edge of the pocket. Its hardly noticeable due to its narrow size, but a wider knife with a broad flat plastic sheath would be much different and not at all comfortable.

So I got the Spyderco Bow River delivered, and my initial impressions is that it will be a great food prep knife, but it is not suitable for front pocket carry. It is just too long and pointy. It will be in my kitchen and carried via backpack. It might be too big for fannypack too.

I will continue to monitor the suggestions in this thread and post any updates!

Don't you wear a belt? The sheath should fit nicely on a belt. That's how I carry my fixed blades.

What about the Guardian 3? fantastic leather sheath, hardly noticeable on the belt, and very sharp in M390 drop point.

I
Don't you wear a belt? The sheath should fit nicely on a belt. That's how I carry my fixed blades.

I wear a belt, and I have tried to wear a knife on it but I just don't like it. I don't tuck in my shirts, so it stays on the inside of my shirt and imprints weird. Plus I don't want it to show when I'm not out camping/ hiking/ etc

The micarta sheepsfoot bradford guardian 3 looks interesting, but doesn't seem available.

Back