Help me pick multi-tool or knife for graduation gift for my son.

My oldest is graduating from high school and going to college for computer engineering. I already have a watch (gshock gwm500f) and flashlight (olight baton 3) picked out and I want to add a multi-tool or knife. Black and blue color scheme if possible (he likes this color combo)

I'm considering Swiss Army Cybertool, Leatherman skeletool, juice, squirt, or maybe just a good knife like benchmade mini 945. I have also considered a good precision screwdriver set.. Help me out everyone. What suggestions do you have?

Victorinox offers the pioneer in black anodized aluminum. Dlt trading also can engrave it with initials or whatever... I had them do some engraving on the first knife we gave our son. Great service and the engraving was excellent as well.

My oldest is graduating from high school and going to college for computer engineering. I already have a watch (gshock gwm500f) and flashlight (olight baton 3) picked out and I want to add a multi-tool or knife. Black and blue color scheme if possible (he likes this color combo)

I'm considering Swiss Army Cybertool, Leatherman skeletool, juice, squirt, or maybe just a good knife like benchmade mini 945. I have also considered a good precision screwdriver set.. Help me out everyone. What suggestions do you have?
I'd go with a good folding or fixed blade knife as he will put together a toolbox of specific computer network engineering tools he'll need for that job. The rest of your choices are spot on!

Zieg

Swiss Army Cybertool M in Translucent Blue would be a good choice.

https://www.victorinox.com/global/e...Medium-Pocket-Knives/Cyber-Tool-M/p/1.7725.T2

I would go with a SAK Cybertool. Depending on which variant it can be pocket carried and you can get it with blue translucent scales.

I would give the nod to the Cybertool over a Skeletool or other Leatherman because it can be used with a standard bit set. I’d go with the Cybertool over another folder, because it is more specific to the field he is going into and a SAK is more acceptable in many places where depending on size a modern folder may not be.
F381FF97-EE36-465F-A1BE-78FE3ADF485D.jpeg

Attachments

• B9DA5AC0-0831-4127-9DEB-3736985EA604.jpeg
    B9DA5AC0-0831-4127-9DEB-3736985EA604.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 3
I’d go with the Cybertool over another folder, because it is more specific to the field he is going into and a SAK is more acceptable in many places where depending on size a modern folder may not be.
View attachment 1533008

I fully support the SAK Cybertool also, and this point about acceptability is support important also.
Depending to where he's going and if he'll be living on campus or planning to carry it daily, keep in mind that many campuses have strict no weapons on campus policies. Even if the campus has that policy, I'd check with the campus police because they might not have any issue with a SAK. The university I attended did not allow weapons on campus (and I think one-hand opening folders were not ok), but the police told me that my SAK was fine.

I think a SAK with non locking tools is probably a good choice if he were to carry the tool on campus. I would suggest Explorer, since it's an easy carry and it will probably serve him well even well after college.

Cybertool M is also a great tool, but personally I probably would prefer scissors and inline phillips over the bit driver and mini pliers.

I think a SAK with non locking tools is probably a good choice if he were to carry the tool on campus. I would suggest Explorer, since it's an easy carry and it will probably serve him well even well after college.

Cybertool M is also a great tool, but personally I probably would prefer scissors and inline phillips over the bit driver and mini pliers.
Actually, my recommendation would be to have carry a Cybertool in the pack, and carry a 2-3 layer 84mm/91mm (or even 54mm) SAK in the pocket for the scissors and most days needs, but that was not the OP's original question...

It looks like the cybertool blue is discontinued. I see some overpriced ones on ebay. Does anyone know where is still might be available?

SAK Super or Deluxe Tinker ( top of the list, but a bit thick for pocket). 85mm Tinker for pocket. But definitely check state, city and school's regulations about knife carry.
rich

Last edited:
I’d go with a Pioneer and a nice fob to personalize it a bit.

A Leatherman Squirt PS4 would be a helpful tool for a computer tech in training. The pliers come in especially handy when fiddling around inside a computer case as well as the blade and other tools it has. Very compact tool that goes well on the keychain and doesn't take up a ton of space in the pocket.

My oldest is graduating from high school and going to college for computer engineering. I already have a watch (gshock gwm500f) and flashlight (olight baton 3) picked out and I want to add a multi-tool or knife.

How old is your son, and in what state and city will he attend college? Knife carry laws vary wildly by city, county, state, and in some places by age. The last time I checked here in Chicago, the concealed (in the pocket) carry limit through age 18 was a 2" blade, and at age 19 we graduated to a big daddy 2.5" blade.

How old is your son, and in what state and city will he attend college? Knife carry laws vary wildly by city, county, state, and in some places by age. The last time I checked here in Chicago, the concealed (in the pocket) carry limit through age 18 was a 2" blade, and at age 19 we graduated to a big daddy 2.5" blade.
Soon to be 18. Going to college in Texas.

Back