1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Help me read the steel after heat & quench

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by feister, Aug 10, 2019.

1. feister

feister

Apr 23, 2013
    I have been working with mostly 1084 with .156 thickness. This blade is 1/4 inch 1075. I feel confident in my heat treat and quench in canola oil. My question to those of you with more experience is the color change and very distinct line along my beveled edge. What is it exactly? Is it good? Bad? Like I said, I have made a lot of knives in 1084 but they were thin steel compared to this and I have not seen this defined line along the edge like this before. Thank in advance for your answers.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Need a picture, a line can be anything. That’s like saying when driving, your car is making a noise. “What is that noise?”

3. feister

feister

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG] I’m hoping the pic will come up this time

4. feister

feister

Apr 23, 2013
    Sorry, I must be doing something wrong. Having hard time getting a picture up

5. feister

feister

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. DevinT

DevinT KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 29, 2010
    1075 is not a deep hardening steel, that is probably a hardened edge. Like a hamon. I’m not able to see your image though.

Hoss

7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    The method of posting a photo is in the stickys. You can also email one of us the image so we can post it.

8. feister

feister

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm really hoping this works this time. DevinT my blade does look like a hamon but that was not the intention

R.C.Reichert likes this.
  9. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008

I get that when I edge quench my blades. The scale at the edge pops off in the quench and can leave a quench line. Looks normal to me. It's a nice looking blade you got there. Sooner or later some real experts will chime in on this though. I'm just a hobbyist after all.

feister likes this.
  10. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    When someone says my car is making a noise you ask for a picture?:p

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    That just looks like some scale and decarb. Sand/grind it clean after tempering and it should go away.

feister likes this.