Help me replace my Case Mini-Trapper..

Hello,

I'm in a position where I love the traditional look, the fine thin blade and I always wear a sheath as I really hate pocket clips. But I'm constantly wishing for a one hand opening knife as I seem to always find out I need a knife when I'm already holding something in my other hand, I'm fed up with the awkwardness of the traditional "slip joint" but can't find anything that replaces the style of it.

There seems to be this huge void between the slim small traditional and the market saturated modern tactical looking pocket clip blades. There is no middle ground which is where I'm looking.

Imagine a small sheath based knife that has a flipper design, traditional scales and physical size not much more then the mini trapper, no requirement for two blades one is fine. it doesn't exist that I know of but, what comes the closest?

That is a big reason I carry aBuck 110. Trust me after you carry it everyday for a year or so you’ll be opening it safely with one hand.

2nd that Case Russlock or the Case Kickstart. The Russlock has beautiful traditional lines.

Good suggestions above. An automatic knife would definitely be an option, if legal where you live. They come in all sizes and certainly qualify as one-handed opening.

I'd go for a case trapperlock or if practical and legal I'd go with a smaller bird and trout type / sized fixed blade.

I've been done with moderns for a while so I'm not sure but there might be something you like with as thin of a blade.

image_zpsb6c64284.JPG

Case Trapperlock (top), Russlock (below).

The Trapperlock is the same size as the regular Trapper, so somewhat bigger than your Mini Trapper.

Russlock2a_zps92c615d0.JPG

The case knives mentioned of course, but I'll also toss out there that I can easily open my Mini Copperlocks one-handed. I pinch the blade in thumb/forefinger with the pivot end facing downward and then use my other fingers to push the handle away/open. It's not Spyderco easy but once you get it, it's pretty simple.

Speaking of Spyderco, a Dragonfly 2 with clip removed and dropped in pocket might be worth considering.

All the classic Buck lock backs, including the 500 series, can be opened one handed in the same manner as Mr. Chaps described opening his Copperlock.

That is a big reason I carry aBuck 110. Trust me after you carry it everyday for a year or so you’ll be opening it safely with one hand.
yup; first thing that came to mind. Not exactly what the OP was asking for but good stuff.

All the classic Buck lock backs, including the 500 series, can be opened one handed in the same manner as Mr. Chaps described opening his Copperlock.
Now that you mention it.
Here is a LINK > > > to one of my old threads showing photos pinching open a little Buck. I tend to then hook the end of the handle on my pocket to pull it open

It may not suit you, but I have been considering the Enzo Birk 75 with the birch scales. Natural handle material and not too tactical, but still has one-hand opening and a pocket clip.

Thanks guys, yeh they are all bigger then the mini trapper (3.5" closed) and slender. I did buy a Benchmade Mini Crooked River for which I love the styling of but its still a big knife to be carried in a sheath, they need to make a Micro Crooked River!

The closest I've actually found to be ideal was the "Cutlery Lover" knife
a nice tiny traditional styled flipper, albeit a bit bulky with the two blades. They cant be purchased anymore.

I do like the look of the Russlock, I'll have to see if I get past the excess size of it.

I find it amazing that with the 1000000 knives on the market and complete saturation of the standard size knives no ones bothered to develop a small knife.

Nah its a two bladed knife so a thumb stud wouldn't fit. I'd have to remove the spey blade which I guess is an option. Any links to these thumb studs?

yeh they are all bigger then the mini trapper (3.5" closed)
Surely the small Bucks like in my link aren't too large. Under three inches closed. The blade is under two inch and the edge is less than that. Definitely a one hander. They have a few other sizes.

Back