Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

So please don't flame me too badly here, I'm not understanding the draw to spyderco knives. I'm being serious, I dont see what sets them apart specifically. I have no disregard for the knife maker, in fact I like the new designs like the all ti orange peel flippers and such.

I know there's many different models now but I look at the classics and all I see is a basic knife. I mean other than the proprietary spidey hole they're just plastic handled knives to me. So I'm hoping someone can help me see what I'm missing.

Don't get me wrong I have used a few pm2s that my Dad and friends have owned and I appreciate the lightweight feel, I like the blade steels and the fit and finish is always pretty on point. I just dont understand the love affair that many people have for them. Even Nick Shabazz raves about them.

I had the same problem understanding why people spend $30k on over under shotguns when a $1k semiauto would blow them out of the water. I kind of feel like I'm in the same scenario here, there is a reason they're so loved....What am I missing?

Help me out please, and this is no disrespect to the brand so please don't take it that way.

They are made to fit ergonomics for specific types of cutting tasks mostly. If you've handled multiple PM2's and don't get it, you probably won't. I thought they were ugly until I got a Delica in hand. Only took a moment to realize the purpose to the look. I'll take a basic Spyderco over most other basic knives any day!

Because pics
yunWFia.jpg

Ergonomics, great steels, innovative, some of the nicest people in the business etc.
No offence taken, its okay to not like them. Plenty of other great knives out there but you owe it to yourself to try a Spyderco.

I'm really trying and when I think I finally found one I like, I'm just not enamoured by it and I end up not pulling the trigger. The advocate really catches my eye and the M390 sprint runs that just flew by seemed great but when all the dust settled I disnt end up buying one

Does the semi-auto shotgun have plastic furniture? Asking for a friend.

My Beretta semis A300 & A400 are all wood, my Mossberg semi Jm pro is plastic but that's a $600 gun while the beretta go up as high $1900. They're far from a Cesar Guerrini or Kreighoff K90 though.

I never talked down about plastic, G10 is great and micarta is somewhat plastic too, they're great. It depends on the application I guess.

I'm really trying and when I think I finally found one I like, I'm just not enamoured by it and I end up not pulling the trigger. The advocate really catches my eye and the M390 sprint runs that just flew by seemed great but when all the dust settled I disnt end up buying one
You dont need to force yourself to like them. Every once in a while, somebody posts as you do and others will in the future.Thats fine.
Would be boring, if we all liked the same knives. We are fortunate to have some great knife brands to choose from.

My Beretta semis are all wood, my Mossberg semi Jm pro is plastic but that's a $600 gun while the beretta go up as high $1900.

I never talked down about plastic, G10 is great and micarta is somewhat plastic too, they're great. It depends on the application I guess.
You're kinda all over the map on this.

If you love practical uses then just plastic handled knives are a great choice. They make those. If you want something nicer they make those too.

The sales of all those Delicas and Enduras feed the machine so they can make out of the box Ti handled flippers and use exotic steels.

you don't have to like them and no amount of internet talk is going to make you like them more.

I mean your post title could read "Help me understand the allure of red heads"

Parts is parts, all women have the same parts

You're kinda all over the map on this.

If you love practical uses then just plastic handled knives are a great choice. They make those. If you want something nicer they make those too.

The sales of all those Delicas and Enduras feed the machine so they can make out of the box Ti handled flippers and use exotic steels.

What I am trying to say I guess is that $200 for a plastic knife just doesn't make the most sense to me. There isn't anything wrong with plastic just not at that price point to me. Maybe that's my disconnect, I dont know. Thanks for the input.

you don't have to like them and no amount of internet talk is going to make you like them more.

I mean your post title could read "Help me understand the allure of red heads"

Parts is parts, all women have the same parts

Valid point, good looking out

I’ve been known to say “Spydercos look funny until you hold and use one”. They are a lot more about function than looks.

Buy an Endura or Delica and use it for a month. If you still don’t see the appeal you’ll be able to sell it for not much less than you paid.

Consider it an experimental rental fee.

The shotgun comparison is way off so I won’t go any further down that road.

A solid company with top notch ownership. Great cutting tools. They tend to carry smaller than they are. With a wide choice of blade styles, blade steels, handle materials and styles, lock mechanisms.
Variety is the spice of life.

What I am trying to say I guess is that $200 for a plastic knife just doesn't make the most sense to me. There isn't anything wrong with plastic just not at that price point to me. Maybe that's my disconnect, I dont know. Thanks for the input.

What Spyderco has a plastic handle and costs $200?

If you’re talking about G10 and micarta, they are far from plastic. They are probably the most durable handle materials you can get, next to maybe solid Ti.

Even the FRN Spyderco uses is far from just simple “plastic”. Especially with the metal liners.

I’ve been known to say “Spydercos look funny until you hold and use one”. They are a lot more about function than looks.

Buy an Endura or Delica and use it for a month. If you still don’t see the appeal you’ll be able to sell it for not much less than you paid.

Consider it an experimental rental fee.

Thank you that answers my question perfectly the function and ergos are the attraction.

Kind of like Glock and its reputation as being utilitarian and indestructible.

Last edited:
I am with you on this one. I just don't get the appeal and think that 90% of them look exactly alike. The spidie-hole is nice and I really like the compression lock, but give me a Benchmade with an axis lock any day. I find the blades way too deep in most cases; I assume that is to accommodate the hole, but it often makes a knife that doesn't carry as easily. That being said, I do have a Native 5 salt that I love because it fits my uses for it better than anything else out there.

What Spyderco has a plastic handle and costs $200?

If you’re talking about G10 and micarta, they are far from plastic. They are probably the most durable handle materials you can get, next to maybe solid Ti.

Even the FRN Spyderco uses is far from just simple “plastic”. Especially with the metal liners.

I kind of knew this would eventually turn in to me defending myself so I get it. I understand the difference between G10 and micarta and plastic. I think I even stated that exactly.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Manix-2-Knife-Gray-G-10--24678

There is a $188 Spyderco, I guess I rounded a little.

I believe my question has been answered so thanks for all the input .

Last edited:
I kind of knew this would eventually turn in to me defending myself so I get it. I understand the difference between G10 and micarta and plastic. I think I even stated that exactly.

You make a valid point about liner locks too. Another issue I have with a high priced knife. To each his own I guess. There are plenty of customs with liberal locks

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Manix-2-Knife-Gray-G-10--24678

There is a $188 Spyderco, I guess I rounded a little.

I believe my question has been answered so thanks for all the input .

I said nothing at all about liner locks. I said their FRN handled knives have metal liners. It is to make them more rigid and to anchor clips, etc to. The knives I was referring to mainly have backlocks.

It sounded like you were confused on the “plastic” issue when you posted this:

“I never talked down about plastic, G10 is great and micarta is somewhat plastic too, they're great. It depends on the application I guess.”

The link you posted is for a Manix with a Maxamet blade. You are paying a premium in this case due to an exotic steel that not many makers use.

You can feel any way you want about Spyderco. No need to feel like you’re defending yourself. I was just trying to clear up a few misconceptions I saw.

I said nothing at all about liner locks. I said their FRN handled knives have metal liners. It is to make them more rigid and to anchor clips, etc to. The knives I was referring to mainly have backlocks.

It sounded like you were confused on the “plastic” issue when you posted this:

“I never talked down about plastic, G10 is great and micarta is somewhat plastic too, they're great. It depends on the application I guess.”

The link you posted is for a Manix with a Maxamet blade. You are paying a premium in this case due to an exotic steel that not many makers use.

You can feel any way you want about Spyderco. No need to feel like you’re defending yourself. I was just trying to clear up a few misconceptions I saw.

No worries. Context gets lost in text I wasnt being rude. I have been trying to be as courteous as possible so as not to offend the spyderco aficionados.

What I was trying to say is I understand the differences and I know I will have to justify my point of view at some point. Plastic is not bad but its not worth that amount of money, even $100.... to me.

Plenty of people find it worth it, obviously. Spyderco is a great company from everyone I've talked to and I respect them without even owning one.

And yes maxamet is kind of an upgrade. It's no M390 or S35n though. I got my zt0450 for $150, now they're a little more but I've never seen them more than $180, and that's S35n american made frame lock titanium frame. I guess when you start comparing companies is where it gets tricky and maybe that's where im getting my threshold.

Once again I believe my question has been answered and I understand the allure now. I'll probably wait for a sale and pick one up now with more confidence. Thanks again for all the help

Last edited:
Back