Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

FRN, fiberglass reinforced nylon. From what I understand, the strength comes from the amount of fiberglass that is in the process that makes it durable and tough. Don’t know what Spyderco’s formula is, but I don’t recall reading any known problems with the material that Spyderco has encountered.
Don’t deny yourself a good knife by being hung up on the word plastic. You really won’t understand the allure of Spyderco until you have one in hand and actually use it. Then, you may or may not understand that it’s a well thought knife that works very well for normal work duty. You’re not going to stab open a freezer to get a trapped frozen bag of peas out or breech a door, but for day to day chores, it works well and without issues.
Sal, the owner, actually interacts on the Spyderco forum here. That in itself, is alluring to people. I know it does me. I have observed that makers/companies that participate in casual conversation draw people in.

FRN, fiberglass reinforced nylon. From what I understand, the strength comes from the amount of fiberglass that is in the process that makes it durable and tough. Don’t know what Spyderco’s formula is, but I don’t recall reading any known problems with the material that Spyderco has encountered.
Don’t deny yourself a good knife by being hung up on the word plastic. You really won’t understand the allure of Spyderco until you have one in hand and actually use it. Then, you may or may not understand that it’s a well thought knife that works very well for normal work duty. You’re not going to stab open a freezer to get a trapped frozen bag of peas out or breech a door, but for day to day chores, it works well and without issues.
Sal, the owner, actually interacts on the Spyderco forum here. That in itself, is alluring to people. I know it does me. I have observed that makers/companies that participate in casual conversation draw people in.

Thank you great info.

Wh don't you start out cheap,get an endura or delica.My pt serrated sabre endura is a great knife for work,it cuts plastic straps like your cutting newsprint.Its a real good working knife at a reasonable price....

I truly wasn't trying to offend anyone, I believe the plastic at the price point is my biggest hangup, then looks are second. That is why I was trying to get passed that portion of my misunderstanding. I believe I'm still a little confused on FRN to plastic but that's what it appears to be, correct me if wrong. FRN is plastic with glass fibers correct?

I assure you there is no bone to pick, just a quest for understanding. There really is no way to beat around the Bush on the issue, I'm a pretty direct guy so once again it wasn't intended as a back handed insult or put down. How else would I address one of my major issues without outright saying it?

Fiber-reinforced nylon is plastic (malleable material that can be molded, particularly injection molded). It’s a much different type of material than G10 or Micarta, which are composites. It’s a cheaper material, but has the benefit of low weight and high strength:weight ratio.

FWIW, the most expensive FRN Spyderco folders I could find were the Maxamet Native 5 and Manix 2, which both retail for a good bit less than $200.

spyderco has some great products.
the standard workhorses are what
that interest me when rating a brand.
for the money one is assured of
a product quality which seldom
disappoints.
always sharp outta the box
with very assuring lock up;
doing everything right for a product
which exudes nothing but great user
confidence.
the hole feature and pocket clip
is a spyderco innovation which
has been emulated by others.
this association with folks new
to knives may be blurred in time.
and may no longer set the brand
apart these days; but that doesn't
stop spyderco from being recognized
as the originator of its iconic clipped on
pocket knives with its single handed
opening feature.
one might be driven to buy a product
because of quality materials and design
but the let's not over look the desire of
wanting to own products from an iconic brand which has stood the test of time...
one can be judgmental about things
but it becomes almost suicidal when
touching on matters related to the sacred :)
you just know that spyderco is one company
that still produces and sends out physical
catalogs for free. its a mesmerising array,
year after year it delivers without fail.
what's there to fault but one's self for not
having nearly enough of moolah to match :)

Last edited:
great thing about spyderco is if you don't like maxamet, just get a gb2 in cpm-m4

it's also nice since the hump is rather minimistic, addressing the common complaint... once you've used this blade a little bit, you'll understand ; )
C134CFP2_Both.png

Fiber-reinforced nylon is plastic (malleable material that can be molded, particularly injection molded). It’s a much different type of material than G10 or Micarta, which are composites. It’s a cheaper material, but has the benefit of low weight and high strength:weight ratio.

FWIW, the most expensive FRN Spyderco folders I could find were the Maxamet Native 5 and Manix 2, which both retail for a good bit less than $200.

Thank you, great info

great thing about spyderco is if you don't like maxamet, just get a gb2 in cpm-m4

it's also nice since the hump is rather minimistic, addressing the common complaint... once you've used this blade a little bit, you'll understand ; )
C134CFP2_Both.png
That is a great looking knife, Thanks... I have no problem with Maxamet after watching the above videos.... M4 is a really great steel as well. not sure what is better but the above knife is certainly something I would like to use and own.

I'm not a huge frn (what you call plastic) fan either. Good thing they have tons of other options, you pretty much never need to get FRN. I have one, and it's a salt (another invention).

Spyderco basically invented the pocket knife you carry today.

They invented the clip-it integral pocket clip now standard on every pocket knife.

They invented a method of one handed opening that actually worked. Before the spyder hole you had a tiny sharp knurled thumb stud to try and flick open stiff blades of junk steel. They brought quality steel and pocket knives to a new level.

They invented Spyder edge which revolutionized knife serrations.

They stood/stand by their products. They ran ads showing emergency workers using their endura to cut through steel cable to rescue people, said the knife did sustain damage but we replaced it of course (I'm paraphrasing or partially remembering magazine ads from 20+ years ago)..

I could go on.. It's ok to not like Spyderco but you have to respect the innovation and contribution...

I'm not a huge frn (what you call plastic) fan either. Good thing they have tons of other options, you pretty much never need to get FRN. I have one, and it's a salt (another invention).

Spyderco basically invented the pocket knife you carry today.

They invented the clip-it integral pocket clip now standard on every pocket knife.

They invented a method of one handed opening that actually worked. Before the spyder hole you had a tiny sharp knurled thumb stud to try and flick open stiff blades of junk steel. They brought quality steel and pocket knives to a new level.

They invented Spyder edge which revolutionized knife serrations.

They stood/stand by their products. They ran ads showing emergency workers using their endura to cut through steel cable to rescue people, said the knife did sustain damage but we replaced it of course (I'm paraphrasing or partially remembering magazine ads from 20+ years ago)..

I could go on.. It's ok to not like Spyderco but you have to respect the innovation and contribution...

I never said I didn't like them, i said I didn't understand the allure.... to be more precise I didn't get the price point for what it was...... before being brought up to speed by a few other members on many aspects I was not aware of. I appreciate brand loyalty and I also appreciate innovation and blazing a path in an industry. Chris Reeve's, Hinderer, Kai have all done similar things. Thanks for the input

So please don't flame me too badly here, I'm not understanding the draw to spyderco knives. I'm being serious, I dont see what sets them apart specifically. I have no disregard for the knife maker, in fact I like the new designs like the all ti orange peel flippers and such.

I know there's many different models now but I look at the classics and all I see is a basic knife. I mean other than the proprietary spidey hole they're just plastic handled knives to me. So I'm hoping someone can help me see what I'm missing.

Don't get me wrong I have used a few pm2s that my Dad and friends have owned and I appreciate the lightweight feel, I like the blade steels and the fit and finish is always pretty on point. I just dont understand the love affair that many people have for them. Even Nick Shabazz raves about them.

I had the same problem understanding why people spend $30k on over under shotguns when a $1k semiauto would blow them out of the water. I kind of feel like I'm in the same scenario here, there is a reason they're so loved....What am I missing?

Help me out please, and this is no disrespect to the brand so please don't take it that way.

I can't help you because I've never understood it either.

Just for context what knife is worth $200.00?

No rounding please.

I just searched BladeHQ for Spyderco and found:

(383) less than $100
(324) between $100-$250
(38) between $250-$500
(1) between $500-$1000

The drunken looks pretty awesome, so does the Paysan

Last edited:
I like the blade steels
That's it for me.
M4, HAP-40, ZDP-189, M390, CTS-XHP, N690
there might be a couple more that are escaping me at the moment.
Pretty much in that order. The heat treats have been great in my experience. For my uses you can circle the M4, add some spot lights and neon, some scantily clad female presenters . . .
well you get the idea.

The blades, for the most part, are not all stupid thick. The edge geometry actually works and is practical out of the box on some / most. I don't find that on other brands . . . at least not nearly as often.

The FRN handles really do it for me.

I'm a bit partial though I must admit. If I could throw a rock a little less than a hundred miles I could hit Spyderco in Golden from my couch.

Finally the Glessers are great people and take care of their customers ! ! ! !
I sure can not say that about other brands, brands that I like and buy. No some of the other brands put you off, lie to you, ignore you and generally just take your money and run off with it. Period.

That same $188 plastic scale knife can be had for under $95 when you buy it with its basic blade steel. I have a DF2 Salt because I'm in and around salt water a lot perfect to carry when I'm wearing board shorts on the beach or in the boat. Also so have the Chaparral Lightweight, great small knife with good blade steel and the ergonomics for such a small knife at least for me are fantastic, the FRN scales on the Chap actually have a very satisfying feel and texture to them, like it so much I'm going to buy the Sage 5 LW when it's released. Another thing I like about Spyderco is Veterans and First Responders get a 50% discount when ordering direct from Spyderco that $188 knife only costs me $125.

I have have other Spyderco's that aren't FRN and knives from other makers that have Ti, CF or G10 scales, FRN definitely has a place in my small collection of of user knives.

When I first saw Spyderco knives, They really didn't appeal to me aesthetically. I eventually bought a PM2 and it is an awesome little package!
I was recently working with some plastic that is used as a wear plate against steel. We have come a long way with plastics and they aren't exactly cheap.
The "plastics" used for knife handles are great modern materials that are well suited to the application.

I wanted to :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: when I saw the “It's no M390 or S35n though” about Maxamet, but I refrained. Lol

It seems a lack of experience and/or knowledge all around may be at the root. OP should do a little research and try more knives.

A Delica or Endura in the pocket for a while would show anybody what the deal is with Spydercos, IMO.

If the price is really the sticking point then pick up one or two models on the used market or get a couple of the Byrd line to try out the different forms and sizes. Then in a year you'll have five or six Spyderco's all around the $100-150 mark and you'll be eyeing the next hundred dollar tier with some seriousness. If you doubt me just try some of the Glasser line of crack and see what happens.

I wanted to :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: when I saw the “It's no M390 or S35n though” about Maxamet, but I refrained. Lol

It seems a lack of experience and/or knowledge all around may be at the root. OP should do a little research and try more knives.

A Delica or Endura in the pocket for a while would show anybody what the deal is with Spydercos, IMO.

I admit I have a lot to learn and I am always trying to continue learning. I was under the impression maxamet was a super tool steel similar to D2 but with more carbide in it and S35vn was more of a cutting steel. Clearly I was wrong as I am far from a metallurgist but I know many members here are, and of course they could help educate me.

The research and trying knives is where I'm at and what I'm trying to do instead of writing off the brand with no desire to learn more.

once again I am here to learn things and I have learned a lot on this site. That is the main reason I felt compelled to ask about spyderco's knowing there would be good feedback and I could learn more. what is the point of a forum of knife owners unless you can learn and also help others learn.

I knew there would be a few that would throw salt, but welcome to 2019. Thanks again.

Last edited:
No throwing of the salts, dude. Simply saying that you have a lot to learn. That’s evident - you seem to be learning things you didn’t know with every other post.

I fully agree that you’re in the right place to ask what you did. No need to twist it around and act like any post indicating you should learn more is negative. It’s simply saying “educate yourself”. Ignorance is nothing to be ashamed of and has a simple cure - knowledge.

Now that you’ve learned all of these new aspects, does any Spydie interest you? Do you see yourself giving one a try?

Back