Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

I like spyderco because they are willing to try new steels and designs from great makers, they cut well and work nice but maybe I'm a little jaded
VbFxPpd.jpg

i didnt get it for a while
and I still dont fully get it.

just not a fan of frn - also don't like a lot of the aesthetics.

a year or so ago, I got a shot at a Domino - which looked better to my eyes than many of the others - and its been my EDC ever since. really grown to like this knife.
its caused me to look more at spyderco - still not a fan of the FRN.

ones that i've been looking at are the Manix, GBs, Shaman, and maybe terzuola.

I admit to disliking the way most of them look. Leaf-shaped blades are just regular-shaped blades who have been deformed into spatulas to fit an opening hole, and for bonus points make the knives wide in the pocket so they take up a lot of extra space.

That said, they have a million different designs, something for everyone, Sal is lovable, and most of them are great in use even if they are as ugly as sin.

Take the plastic-handled Manix 2 Lightweight (available reasonably priced in high-performance steels like S90V and S110V) out for a spin when you're actually doing some work that's going to require a lot of cutting and you'll quickly appreciate the true beauty of the knife. Carries wide but light, feels great in hand, cuts great and plastic or not it will take whatever beating you throw at it.

Not every model is a winner, mind you. The exposed-edge Tropen design, for example is questionable. I'll never get the PM2 love, either. It takes up a ton of pocket space, feels okay-not-great in use, doesn't provide any more blade than a knife literally half its size, and yet folks on this forum seem to love it. Again, though, they put out crazy reams of differing designs, to the point that there's probably one there for everyone.

I collected a bunch of Spyderco's at one time, my attraction was that they invented one hole opening and the pocket clip witch put them on the map, that and the fact that I like working on my knifes and there seems to be lots of after market parts for them, scales,clips,ECT. so if one does not like the plastic or G10 handles in most cases not all! you can change it.

i didnt get it for a while
and I still dont fully get it.

just not a fan of frn - also don't like a lot of the aesthetics.

a year or so ago, I got a shot at a Domino - which looked better to my eyes than many of the others - and its been my EDC ever since. really grown to like this knife.
its caused me to look more at spyderco - still not a fan of the FRN.

ones that i've been looking at are the Manix, GBs, Shaman, and maybe terzuola.

Ya I'm probably going to pick up an advocate for my first Spydie.... it fits all the boxes I enjoy. Frame lock, titanium, thin, flipper and thumb hole, textured handle..... it just looks the most appealing as well. I'm sure I'll end up with a few others especially the salt series since I'm a big ocean guy, never even knew about them until this thread. I need a new blade for deer hunting season and duck season, I'm thinking of a jarosz Turok Kabar so perhaps after that purchase I'll get the Gb advocate.

Last edited:
I agree they're not the most beautiful knives, which is why I prettied mine up as best I could. They are hyper functional though. I've gone back and forth about selling this one. Honestly if it fit better in my pocket next to my phone I think I'd keep it.

xq59yRB.jpg

I think spyderco beauty is in its form following function. They are designed to be good knives, to cut, to feel good in your hand. They do this exceptionally well. Not to say other brands don't (my ZTs are very comfortable as well, but zt does make some questionable designs...as does spyderco!) sometimes you have to take a risk.

I love my spydercos because they look great to me, feel great, and get the job done. I'm not big on frn or frcp either really, but I have 2 lightweights lol but their G10 is great. And I like the cf/G10 they use on Taiwan knives, my amalgam is my favorite knife!

If you don't like them there's no problem with that. But they're around for a reason, and I think a lot of companies could learn a few things from them still.

Innovation. They made the first practical pocket clip on a folder. The spidey hole. Their work with creative knife makers to bring products to market that otherwise wouldn't get made. Aesthetic.

As evilgreg said, I wasn’t a fan of the blade appearance, avoided buying one for a long time. Then after handling benchmades that had the hole in the blade, I thought hey I like that over a thumb stud. Now I own three benchmade and three Spyderco, and only the bugout has thumb studs. Tried an affordable one like the tenacious or cara cara 2, liked the size of the Tenacious, so I bought a Delica (4?) lightweight. I think the handle sizes and locking option choices make Spyderco as a brand, worth a look. I’m left handed and a lot of the models have reversible clips

The Military and Yo2 have me hooked for life. And I still miss the Nirvana despite it’s lukewarm reception.

I use my knives for work mostly, I started with very cheap knives and broke a lot of them. (Many from user error.:rolleyes:) Then I found kershaw and fell in love with the with the one handed speed safe assisted opening. I am not trying to bash kershaw I still think they are great knives for the price. (some models much better than others) But most kershaws would last me 6 months before needing completely replaced. The pocket clips broke and got loose all the time, and the assisted opening springs broke. I had my fair share of other issues to. I will say kershaw did an amazing job on warrantying there blades! But after I broke the 2nd warranty knife I didn't feel right going back to them to asking for another and just bought a new one.

After the clip came off the new one a few weeks later, I decided to try something of higher quality with the hope that it would last longer and cost me less than buying multiple cheap knives in the long run. If a quality knife that does not need sharpened as much can last me 3 years I would brake even on the money. (as well as not having to resharpen every week.) I was looking for a bigger knife and I liked that spyderco was made in the USA and that the manix 2XL had 3 screws in the pocket clip. :) I was not sold on the design at the time, but the more I use it the more I like it. So far, its been worth it. (9 months in and running great!) The lock up is more solid than cheap knives, the knife does not flex when you cut things, the machining and finish was very nice too. The knife is just all around built tougher. The one thing I thought I would hate, the the spyder hole has become one of my favorite opening methods. I thought they looked funny when I bought it and honestly I still kinda do. I wanted performance not looks though and so far, It has delivered.

Last edited:
20190807-231934.png

I don't know of anyone else making long, thin blades out of really high end steels. I'd love a ZT 0452cf in ZDP-189 with a FFG in 1/8" stock... but it doesn't exist.

Agreed, I've said for quite some time ZT would sell a shit ton of knives if they made a ZT0451 with 3.5" blade and 5" Handle and a few options on steel ranging from M390 to S35 to ZDP-189 and CPM20cv. I would love a WBW version like my ZT0452wbw and an all Ti version too. I would have a few, one for work, one for dress, one for shits and giggles and one in Damasteel if I could......... but the 0452 is too big and 0450 is too small for all purposes well rounded, oh well Zt doesn't listen as well as Spyderco apparently.

I use my knives for work mostly, I started with very cheap knives and broke a lot of them. (Many from user error.:rolleyes:) Then I found kershaw and fell in love with the with the one handed speed safe assisted opening. I am not trying to bash kershaw I still think they are great knives for the price. (some models much better than others) But most kershaws would last me 6 months before needing completely replaced. The pocket clips broke and got loose all the time, and the assisted opening springs broke. I had my fair share of other issues to. I will say kershaw did an amazing job on warrantying there blades! But after I broke the 2nd warranty knife I didn't feel right going back to them to asking for another and just bought a new one.

After the clip came off the new one a few weeks later, I decided to try something of higher quality with the hope that it would last longer and cost me less than buying multiple cheap knives in the long run. If a quality knife that does not need sharpened as much can last me 3 years I would brake even on the money. (as well as not having to resharpen every week.) I was looking for a bigger knife and I liked that spyderco was made in the USA and that the manix 2XL had 3 screws in the pocket clip. :) I was not sold on the design at the time, but the more I use it the more I like it. So far, its been worth it. (9 months in and running great!) The lock up is more solid than cheap knives, the knife does not flex when you cut things, the machining and finish was very nice too. The knife is just all around built tougher. The one thing I thought I would hate, the the spyder hole has become one of my favorite opening methods. I thought they looked funny when I bought it and honestly I still kinda do. I wanted performance not looks though and so far, It has delivered.

Thanks, ya I rock kershaws at work too, I'm in commercial HVAC and I've broken Benchmades, Kershaws, Zero tolerances, etc so I started using cheap chinesium kershaws since I knew they were going to break anyways. So far the Kershaw Grid has lasted almost a year with no issues (knock on wood) but I am in management now and I don't use my blades in the field as often. I still get my hands dirty but not 10 hour days manual labor anymore. I really want to step it up to a bigger knife like a XM18 but then I'm not sure I want to pry a 100 ton air handler open with a $400 knife or scrape adhesive off of a motor mount on a circ pump with one either... I guess we all baby our tools that we value most.

They make prybars to pry with... :D. Save your $400 knife and pick up a 5 dollar pry tool at harbor freight! ;)

Ya I've got a tool belt full of tools including an 11in1 and a few coated and auto screw drivers but when something needs attention the first thing I grab is my knife.... go figure. I know better I just don't do it in the heat of the moment. I trust my knife over many of my milwaukee tools even.

cool looking pieces, almost like leatherman but with more curves, really cool concept. is that a letter opener on the second knife or a leather awl?

I have a leatherman that I haven't opened in a year..... I like thin knives with 3.5" Blades and leatherman are usually way thicker in the grip (due to the extra tools of course) and a pretty small blade.

Back