Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

For a modestly priced production knife they are top of the heap imho

The POLICE was a standout knife back in the day

The Yojimbo series in my opinion is one of the best production defense/utilities you can carry

Not gonna lie, I thought they were all ugly for the longest time. But I really like my FFG m4 manix and wharncliffe salt 2. They're very utilitarian and cut better than most of my other folders, benchmades, etc. Once you find one you like you'll understand, took me like 6 years to take a liking to spyderco.

cool looking pieces, almost like leatherman but with more curves, really cool concept. is that a letter opener on the second knife or a leather awl?

I have a leatherman that I haven't opened in a year..... I like thin knives with 3.5" Blades and leatherman are usually way thicker in the grip (due to the extra tools of course) and a pretty small blade.
Actually, it’s a sailor’s knife called the “Tusk”. The “Tusk” part is a Marlinspike for doing and undoing knots. The tapered eye in the spike is a shackle wrench.

Actually, it’s a sailor’s knife called the “Tusk”. The “Tusk” part is a Marlinspike for doing and undoing knots. The tapered eye in the spike is a shackle wrench.
cool, never heard of one before. thanks

One of the things I like is the availability of custom parts. I just added MXG gear low ride to clips to my Manix 2 and Domino about 3 minutes ago. The new clip make two very ergonomic knives even more comfortable, especially the Manix. It literally feels like I was born with it in my hand. What a difference.

cLSNi8t.jpg

The Yo2 is a work in progress. Need to order screws from Spyderco for starters, keep forgetting. Also, the Domino will be getting a new scale. I'm sick of the Bill Cosby's sweater weave CF. Red C-tek would be wicked.

When I have time and money, My GB 1 will be getting work done. Both the blade and liner have some minor surface rust I need to get out. Then I want new scales and a lockbar cutout made.

Last edited:
i didnt get it for a while
and I still dont fully get it.

just not a fan of frn - also don't like a lot of the aesthetics.

a year or so ago, I got a shot at a Domino - which looked better to my eyes than many of the others - and its been my EDC ever since. really grown to like this knife.
its caused me to look more at spyderco - still not a fan of the FRN.

ones that i've been looking at are the Manix, GBs, Shaman, and maybe terzuola.
If you like the domino I think you'll dig the manix and shaman.

Of the 3 the manix is my edc go to mon-fri work knife. 20190604_080114-2895x1994.jpg

basic spyderco enduras and delicas are around $75-$85 and they are extremely reliable and well made. i personally love frn handles because they slip in and out of my pocket easily and they are very durable.

Spyderco has never really interested me too much, even though I have a PM 2 and a Para 3 that I bought a couple of years ago. I also have a Positron but I don't consider that as a Spyderco, even though it's made by Spyderco it certainly doesn't look and act like a Spyderco.

It's only now that I have started to appreciate the PM 2 and I am slowly coming around to the quirkiness of Spyderco's offerings. One of the reasons I will never sell any of the knives I have bought, even ones I rarely carry, is my tastes are still being refined and when I pick out one for the day it's like getting a new knife all over again.

Lately, however, I am eyeing Spyderco with a growing desire and the Chaparral looks mighty appealing. I have found a sweet discontinued Ti one, or maybe the CF one, or even maybe the Raffer Noble one...

I don't understand it either. Then again you don't have to like anything just because everyone else does. Everyone has different taste and priorities and that is respectable. In MY opinion they are hideous overpriced designs that look like pterodactyl heads. I know they are good quality but I just don't like them. I don't like the hole on the blade that they have just for the sake of being different. I also see a lot of people putting zip ties and crap for lack of a thumb stud.

I don't understand it either. Then again you don't have to like anything just because everyone else does. Everyone has different taste and priorities and that is respectable. In MY opinion they are hideous overpriced designs that look like pterodactyl heads. I know they are good quality but I just don't like them. I don't like the hole on the blade that they have just for the sake of being different. I also see a lot of people putting zip ties and crap for lack of a thumb stud.
The zip tie is for wave opening. It's unnecessary because the Spyder hole opening method is already great and knives are generally a terrible idea for self defense. It has nothing to do with thumb studs.

basic spyderco enduras and delicas are around $75-$85 and they are extremely reliable and well made. i personally love frn handles because they slip in and out of my pocket easily and they are very durable.
The Delica and Endura are the backbone of the Spydie line. You could probably include a few other models. The FRN handles work just fine if you use a knife. My first Native with FRN handles impressed the hell out of me.

I like a fairly basic knife and continue to move in that direction. Spydies provide that. They also make higher end knives for those that want them. It is a matter of liking or accepting the basic Spyderco look and then choosing what fits your needs.

I carry a SAK all the time and although I appreciate the higher end steels, I am perfectly comfortable with Vics, VG-10, 1095, and similar steels. I do generally understand the difference.

I don't like the hole on the blade that they have just for the sake of being different. I also see a lot of people putting zip ties and crap for lack of a thumb stud.

The hole is for opening easily with one hand, with gloves on or off.... Best opener period imo. Doesn't get in the way when you're cutting through material, or when sharpening. It's not there just to "look different". It's highly functional. And as was stated people put zip ties for wave action.

If you want a spyderco that doesn't look like a pterodactyl they have a few. My Amalgam is my favorite knife, and favorite spyderco. Doesn't have a hump at all.

I'm really trying and when I think I finally found one I like, I'm just not enamoured by it and I end up not pulling the trigger. The advocate really catches my eye and the M390 sprint runs that just flew by seemed great but when all the dust settled I disnt end up buying one
I'm not going to try to sell you on Spydercos in general, because I've been in the same boat as you; sometimes I buy a knife because N. Shabazz (and the rest) tell me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then I pick it up and think, "What's the big deal about this?" Right now, everyone seems to have a love fest with both the Keen (from Drop, not Spyderco) and the Kapara (from Spyderco). I really don't get it either, though I've handled the Keen and not the Kapara. The Kapara just looks to me like it's got a weird shape, but no one else has said this.

That being said, you mentioned the Advocate. That's a bit of a different offering than the usual Spydercos in G10. I happen to love the orange peel, and I appreciate the fact that it's got an M4 blade. Also, it's a flipper, which I like a lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was the very strong lockbar coupled with a lockbar thumb cutout that wasn't big enough, so I weakened the lockbar, and I slightly increased the cutout with a Dremel. Now the Advocate is a dream. I recommend it highly.

9B244876-58C7-47E2-A412-8C7C1F366917.jpeg
Now if only they'd put it in a knife that wasn't back lock. I had to buy ZT to get a ZDP knife with a more user friendly lock. I'd still rather have a CBBL or Axis/Able lock.
William Henry makes ZDP knives with button locks for right handed users.

View attachment 1190759
William Henry makes ZDP knives with button locks for right handed users.

They are certainly very nice. I've looked at them a handful of times. In the beginning WH was the only user of ZDP before the original Spyderco sprints. I wouldn't be able to use one for anything beyond opening letters and that's just not something I'm willing to make such a serious investment on. I'm looking for actual users that I won't feel bad for scuffing. I don't own a Shiro for the same reason.

Back