Help my friend find a knife for gardening and household tasks?

I say let's not get carried away and just get him something to carry and try out

Gerber US1 in 420hc
HhEn929.jpg

I say let's not get carried away and just get him something to carry and try out

Gerber US1 in 420hc
HhEn929.jpg

Gerber gets a bad rap because the modern knife community often expects too much even in a knife like this, but they still make some knives in their Oregon factory and the US1 is a good knife.
I don't care what anyone says, it takes a great edge, cuts stuff, and isn't going to close in your fingers or break if used properly.

Gerber gets a bad rap because the modern knife community often expects too much even in a knife like this, but they still make some knives in their Oregon factory and the US1 is a good knife.
I don't care what anyone says, it takes a great edge, cuts stuff, and isn't going to close in your fingers or break if used properly.
It's my new summer knife! I liked it so much bought an LST. It's a nice mix of modern and traditional, super slim, takes a shaving sharp edge. Best of all it's a 1 ounce knife.

Perfect gym short pants!

For purely gardening (if it must be a folder) I’d consider the Opinel outdoor model. Heavier duty than a typical Opinel #8, the stainless/plastic combo can be rinsed under a spicket, affordable (leaving some $$ to buy a Rat II for daily carry when not in the garden, as well as a Mora for fixed blade jobs), and in case of a gardening emergency it has a whistle so he’ll be able to signal for help lol

I suppose the disadvantages would be if he’s not fond of a combo edge (but in a garden they can be very useful), and you cant shape the handle to ride a little better in the pocket.

*i apologize for rambling, I’ve had too much coffee this morning lol

Last edited:
Many of the first Spyderco knives used VG-10 steel blades. They were made in Japan and very popular with Japanese gardeners for tree grafting. It was one of my favorite knives.\

It depends on what you consider gardening for me. I use what's in my pocket most times for simple tasks and retrieve a low cost fixed blade for more rigorous tasks like digging, cutting root balls, or dividing plants from pots. I frequently dig weeds out of my lawn and more often than not use a my Condor Bushlore. I don't care much about the edge deformation due to digging with it. Use it, and fix it if necessary. Other than these kinds of things, I use a garden tool designed for the job where a knife is not the best choice.

For gardening a Hori Hori knife. Way better.

For a $100 budget, I too would recommend a Hori Hori, pretty much a gardening tool and safe to use. Meanwhile, a I would use the remaining fund to get a Victorinox 91mm Huntsman or Alox Farmer X, which is great for all the household use and the steel is easy to maintain.

Btw I inherited a rather large group of flower beds/gardens when I bought my house.

My favorite garden edc knives have been the Endura, Delica and the Benchmade Mini Presidio combo edge in Noryl and 440c I'm addition to any Alox/Sak with a pruning blade such as the solo pruner and the Spyderco Mule team series.

I usually am using whatever I happen to have on me be it that Gerber that I mentioned which I really love. But that said if we wanted to do an edc/yard knife I do think the Para 3 LW would also for the bill of you didn't want to go cheap. The Gerber for me is a super lightweight for me even though it happened to be dirt cheap, I got it for 3.50 at Walmart. The Para 3 LW is going to be a lot cooler. I don't really judge knives by their prices though and carry all this stuff the same frequency that I carry an Insingo...maybe even more than the CRK actually. Anything with an axis lock 9s going to be more convenient I'm the garden than a lockback though. I just love lockbacks for how thin they are in the pocket.

Hori hori looks like a great suggestion. I'm now going to get one. Why are people recommending folders for someone doing gardening? Since the knife will be at home I'd recommend a small fixed blade that can be pocketed if size is an issue or a larger fixed blade.

If you have more money to spend something with serrated blade will do better for most gardening tasks. Another option in a plain edge fixed blade is the Spyderco Serratta. This is my weekend belt knife at home. Excellent handle so you can use it for hours, will cut rope and plant material forever (seems to never stop cutting), stainless, and can get back to paper cutting sharp quickly on any stone.

Last edited:
I can't help but second the idea of a Victorinox multitool. I personally recommend the alox electrician, if just a single blade is preferred I personally love the Douk Douk for a great slim easy to sharpen folder.

Back