Help needed with a pair of 18's Vietnam era

Hi, I am in need of help with a pair of model 18's. Ones a 5" the other is a 7.5". They both come with rough back sheaths. The 5" has a Orlando stamped blade and the 7.5" is stamped Solingen. I picked these up from a old retired Doctor years ago. He served in WW II and was a member of the U.S. Army reserve during Vietnam through retiring as Colonel in 1985. He was U.S. Army Hospital chief of orthopedics and chief of surgery. When I met with him he told me he was issued the 5" and he went and ordered the matching 7.5" Any help would be appreciated. The 5" one has his Service number in it. which as he told me that was the one he was issued. Any help is appreciated.

DSCN6630.jpg

DSCN6628.jpg

DSCN6629.jpg

DSCN6627.jpg

DSCN6626.jpg

DSCN6631.jpg

Last edited:
They're late 1960's, into very early 1970's ('70/'71) production knives. What do you need help with?

Melvin-Purvis. I am looking to possibly sell the pair and have no idea what they would be worth. Any help would be appreciated.

Nice knives and welcome to the forum. He can’t really answer your question. It’s a violation of the rules to ask knife values with your membership level.

It’s an interesting set. First I don’t think he could have been issued the knife. Randall made knives are custom ordered and I don’t see how one would make it into the Army supply chain.

Collectors call model 18’s from that era “crutch tip” knives. Because of the rubber caps on the handles. Later knives have threaded pommels.

I wonder what made him want the second knife so similar to the first.

First time I’ve seen sheaths modified with the sliding web belt clips. Were the handles empty when you got them?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I am just going on what the Doc. had told me as far as being issued one. I do appreciate the help and only wish he was still around to help with more info. He was a very interesting guy. They just serve no use to me at this time and that's why I had dropped in here for help. I truly respect the rules of the Forum.

Back