Help, over oiled leather!

I got a little carried away with some neats foot oil on a veg tan leather sheath I made. The top half of the sheath is dark and very oily wet. Bottom half is as it should be oiled. Ive let the sheath hang in a warm room hoping it would even out but after two days nothing..

What can I do to take some of the oil out without ruining the sheath? 170 degrees in the oven? Baking soda? Warm water and dawn dish soap? I’m sure I’ll have to wetform it again if I do any of these.. I also tried covering it in desiccant overnight and didn’t see a difference..

iTVWXGI.jpg

Last edited:
Kitty litter, corn starch, chalk. Maybe 70% alcohol if those don't work.

Sometimes it can take quite a while for the oil to even out. i had a holster once that took a couple of months. It had a thumb break over the top and I'd oiled both sides of this to make it more flexible and the results were very similar to what your pic is showing. I normally only oil the exterior of a project. Anyhoo it did even out. Fortunately it was a holster for me so I wasn't waiting to send it to some one. I would guess from your pic that time will take care of your problem.

Sometimes it can take quite a while for the oil to even out. i had a holster once that took a couple of months. It had a thumb break over the top and I'd oiled both sides of this to make it more flexible and the results were very similar to what your pic is showing. I normally only oil the exterior of a project. Anyhoo it did even out. Fortunately it was a holster for me so I wasn't waiting to send it to some one. I would guess from your pic that time will take care of your problem.

That’s exactly what I did and why the top half is over oiled. I applied oil to both sides not thinking it would soak evenly all the way through. Lesson learned. Thanks!

Ya bet just give er time it'll probably fix itself. Very nice work btw and an interesting design.

Back