Help pick a knife for Scotty

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
A friend of the family has been very generous over the years with deer meat, leaving coolers of it over the seasons. Winters have been filled with deer stew and deer chili, from deer courtesy of our pal Scotty. Several years ago, I gave him a Tom Goodpasture hunter. He recently posted on my Facebook wall that he really liked the knives this guy made, and wanted one made similar to the following Gerber knife

Gerber-Metolius-30-000012-350x350.gif

I told him that I didn't think Tom would make such a knife, and that I had a knife for him to test out. The knife I will loan him is the UNK. Thing is, I'd like to get him a knife. I had broached the subject with Scott, and then let it fall by the wayside. I had a PSK, but gave it to my little brother for his birthday, his first custom knife (just turned 18), and gave another PSK to my future brother in law last year.

I think that the UNK would be the perfect knife for this guy. My current model is 440C and natural micarta, for fishing as well as camp use, and it has sat on the shelf, other than being used to dress a deer (I've just been using my micro Kephart). My father, who swears by his Schrade Sharpfinger, said he was amazed at how sharp my UNK was, and that it worked like a charm on the deer. Scotty also runs a workboat on the lower eastern shore during the summer, gifting us with crabs.

So, Scottie wants a new knife for deer season. I think this thread should be titled give my old UNK to Scotty, and get myself a new one ;) (really liked the recent one with bone scales).

BTW, I have used a Carvel Hall (Japanese make) boning knife when cutting up deer steaks, and will try out my Gossman puukko, not as thin as the boning knife, but I am interested to see how well it performs removing all of the fat and gristle from the meat.

Back