• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Help please

So mods either move or delete. Hopefully y'all don't mind me posting this even though it has nothing to do with bladeforums. Just the fact that I'm a member.

So I recently bought a Benchmade 943. Really good price. $64 - it is definitely in used condition with a screw busted off in one of the pocket clip holes. Also has no pocket clip on it and missing a handle screw. So the price made sense.

I literally told the guy that I was shipping to Benchmade as Soon as I received and he still sent me the clone. As far as evidence, my phone is a potato and the girlfriend is not home. If you are familiar, the two quick give aways are the axis lock track and the blade finish. I do currently own a 940. Have also owned a 940bk 9401501 so I feel I can spot one now that I've seen one.

I definitely did pay with goods and services. Just wonder if anyone has some experience with this. I literally just received and told him that I said I was mailing it to Benchmade, why would you send me a clone? His response was
"well you told me it was for fathers day and you didnt want to what(wait) a month for it". I guess I should give context. He had mentioned sending it to Benchmade, with my return address. I obviously told him that I wouldn't be down with that.

Just wondering what I can/should expect from PayPal in respect to trying to recover my money. I told him he had an hour. After the first comment he went dark.

This was on IG as well in case anyone cares.

Edit: I did contact PayPal fast. Transaction. Happened Thursday night I believe. Wanted to contact them before funds were disbursed.

Edit2: photos
940 943 clone https://imgur.com/a/dt7rbfC
940 943 clone https://imgur.com/a/vkJDBB0

Only differences I can see really is the axis lock cut out. Very small differences on the handle here or there. The blade finish as well. Eh I could be wrong(never held or seen a 43 in person) and the 43 has a different finish but imo it looks like a shitty attempt at copying. The primary blade bevel doesn't have that uniform pronounced grind that is present in every other 940 I've had and bugouts. You can run your nail down a OG bm and it sounds like a zipper. It's almost as if it had a short bath in acid, idk why it is that different shade or has that glossy appearance. After looking at packaging shortly I only really noticed a couple things. Slightly different shade of blue on the little axis lock card. Axis lock card was a thicker stock of paper for the 943. The foam stuff was slightly different that is inside the box as well. The lifesharp paper has a blue header on one side. The blue has "bleed" to the backside on the 943 one. Which really could be any reason why that's different. So I really didn't put much thought in that.

That's about all I noticed in my quick look. He has also sent me another message since posting saying that he purchased from authorized dealer... So yeah. I didn't respond. It was "recommended" by PayPal that I do not. I have taken screen grabs of his post in case he deleted.

Last edited:
I'm not on IG, but quite a few members here are and I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you shared their IG handle.

Very scummy response by them. Like that's a reason to send the wrong item, a clone/counterfeit no less. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Please do add pictures once you're able.

With PP GS I belive you have a good chance to get your money back.
Make a claim ASAP.
Yes I just made a claim. So apparently they have an amount of time to dispute. Not sure what happens if they do. But really with what I was told I don't want to go any deeper.

I'm not on IG, but quite a few members here are and I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you shared their IG handle.

Very scummy response by them. Like that's a reason to send the wrong item, a clone/counterfeit no less. :rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Please do add pictures once you're able.
I will have pics for y'all later today. I don't want to give his contact details at this moment. Eventually when this is settled though I will.

I told him to refund my money and 7.90 if he wants the knife back... It's out of my hands now.

I hope you get a positive resolution from PayPal, given what I've seen and experienced you will.

Now about this bit...

"my phone is a potato and the girlfriend is not home..."

I'm neither a poet nor a country song writer but I see some real possibilities here...;^)

I hope you get a positive resolution from PayPal, given what I've seen and experienced you will.

Now about this bit...

"my phone is a potato and the girlfriend is not home..."

I'm neither a poet nor a country song writer but I see some real possibilities here...;^)
Lmao... Wow that was good.

I will have pics for y'all later today. I don't want to give his contact details at this moment. Eventually when this is settled though I will.

Why wait if you're going to do it eventually? I don't recommend giving is actually name and address right now but this guy knowingly sent you a clone knife, responded with a BS reply, and then went dark on you. You came here for some advice and got a solid reply in less than 30 minutes. The least you could do is give his anonymous Instagram name so others here will at least know to be cautious if they're in the process or are considering dealing with him.

Why wait if you're going to do it eventually? I don't recommend giving is actually name and address right now but this guy knowingly sent you a clone knife, responded with a BS reply, and then went dark on you. You came here for some advice and got a solid reply in less than 30 minutes. The least you could do is give his anonymous Instagram name so others here will at least know to be cautious if they're in the process or are considering dealing with him.
I won't give his name. Sorry. He does also have a bugout(coated blade one), ti mini monolock, mini freak and the 943 in one listing For sale. So if you see these in one listing you know. It is a old (week or so) posting. Grainy shitty action vids. Not sure if they make clones on those other models but wouldn't put it passed the clone companies.

Until I get resolution it's in my best interest. Just don't use f&f and you should be fine.

Edit: which oddly enough he didn't ask for f&f. He just asked that I pay fees.

Last edited:
I won't give his name. Sorry. He does also have a bugout(coated blade one), ti mini monolock and mini freak For sale. So if you see these in one listing you know. It is a old (week or so) posting. Grainy shitty action vids. Not sure if they make clones on those other models but wouldn't put it passed the clone companies.

Until I get resolution it's in my best interest. Just don't use f&f and you should be fine.
So you came here looking for help, but when you get asked for info, so the members here can protect themselves you won’t give it because “it’s not in your best interest”. You’re a class act.

So you came here looking for help, but when you get asked for info, so the members here can protect themselves you won’t give it because “it’s not in your best interest”. You’re a class act.
Lol.. wow really? I'm a class act? Gave all the details you should need to avoid.

And sorry I was told to avoid interaction by the company that is giving my money. Just following direction. I post his IG handle here, and I have no idea what can be correlated to me. Sorry bud.

Not to mention, he still has the option of doing me right.

Not if he uses different accounts on different forums to sell other knives (and other items), which is what most of the scammers do.
So..what would giving one ig handle do if this were the case? Nothing good. Just beware, don't use f&f. I luckily got my dispute in while money is still in transit.

So..what would giving one ig handle do if this were the case? Nothing good. Just beware, don't use f&f. I luckily got my dispute in while money is still in transit.
You were asked for his name and address and it was those details you refused to provide. I gave my opinion, that you should be more thoughtful of requester, as these are the same people you are asking to help you. I don’t have a dog in this fight.

You were asked for his name and address and it was those details you refused to provide. I gave my opinion, that you should be more thoughtful of requester, as these are the same people you are asking to help you. I don’t have a dog in this fight.

Not quite so. Only his IG account was asked for.

I have no dog here either as I don't use IG, but I would be asking the same questions and want the same info had this occurred here.

What you gave does nothing if this person reaches out to others to buy or trade.
Ok? As I said I'm not doxing dude until it is said and done. Received the knife 2 hours ago. I give his handle and he create new. I posted here to see what happened to others that went through this same thing. Ya know did they get their money, how long did it take etc
Etc.

Back