• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Help please

Pics added if you care to take a looksee.

Thanks!

I'm not a Benchmade expert, but those look very close. The counterfeits that I've seen posted on the forum usually have clearer differences that that. I'd suggest posting them up in the Benchmade forum to see what the experts there have to say.

Last edited:
Hey Brother,
I have to agree with 91bravo 91bravo and B benchwarmer380 , These look legit.
I have a 940-1 and a 940-1501 and they look just like these two. (Also have a regular 940-2 that is just like the 940-1501)
The newer 940-1 has liners that I think are updated and the Omega spring is anchored in a pocket in the back of the Axis lock track. The 940-1501 is an older model and the Omega spring is anchored in a dedicated hole behind the axis track. I can see this difference in your photos and I tried to capture in mine. The jimping is also different between the two and identical to your two. I also googled images from disassembly shots and I saw both style liners in various pics and videos.

I would love to buy this guy for $85 from you if you wanted to dismiss the dispute and be done with it. (Truely, I have a set of RSD Ti scales I've been hunting for a beater 943 or 940 for. :) )

Also, IMHO you handled this thread just fine by not outing the seller. You had a reasonable question about the situation and got some feedback. I wouldn't start throwing the seller under the bus either until I figured out where it's going. I've made that mistake in other circumstances and had to remove my foot from my mouth after it all got sorted out..

Cheers,
Rob

940-1 on top
940-1501 on the bottom

IMG_20190622_213728.jpg IMG_20190622_213807.jpg IMG_20190622_213828.jpg

Last edited:
Also, IMHO you handled this thread just fine. You had a reasonable question about the situation and got some feedback. I wouldn't start throwing the seller under the bus either until I figured out where it's going. I've made that mistake in other circumstances and had to remove my foot from my mouth after it all got sorted out.. lol.

Cheers,
Rob

940-1 on top
940-1501 on the bottom

View attachment 1149576 View attachment 1149577 View attachment 1149578

Actually he did not handle this well. He told us it was a clone that he was sold, made it sound like the seller admitted to it, and already had filed a PP claim. That was the information he got the feedback on. He wasn't here asking if it was a clone. Latter he put up photos and members started questioning it being a clone(that it was not). If he wasn't positive he should have started a thread asking our opinion(clone or not) and not started a PP dispute until he was sure, and of course not outing the guy until he was sure.
If the story changes so will the feedback

Lol really? You all think it's legit? It is definitely posted in Benchmade forums. And yes you are more than welcome to purchase it for $85 f&f of course. I'm not getting my PayPal account closed over $65. You think Benchmade after 10+ years making a knife one way, knowing there are clones out there, changed up their manufacturing process? Changed in a way that made it look like known clones?

Last edited:
Lol really? You all think it's legit? It is definitely posted in Benchmade forums. And yes you are more than welcome to purchase it for $85 f&f of course. I'm not getting my PayPal account closed over $65. You think Benchmade after 10+ years making a knife one way, knowing there are clones out there, changed up their manufacturing process? Changed in a way that made it look like known clones?
Quoted for posterity. So you get a generous offer from a respected member (who believes it is legit) to help you out of this situation by buying the knife from you. You LAUGH IN HIS FACE and insist he pay F&F , so you can be sure to protect your own interests..

I stand by my original assessment of your character.

This is the easiest thing to post where I got my info. Honestly this video is 6 months old I think as well. So may not be factual. The axis lock cut out is prob the hardest thing to copy. This is likely done in some sort of CNC/mill. So the programming, bits, tool path etc all have to be the same. I did also notice on mine and in the video that, the actual steel inserts are not exactly "flat" on the repop. It's almost as if the cutting tool "ripped" the last section of metal out causing a deformity. This is not noticeable on the og.

Last edited:
I know. I'd rather not sell. Not selling this knife. My account will not be linked in selling it.

I'd rather throw it in the fire pit.

I don't think you understood me. I don't care if you sell it or not-he is fully aware of the circustances, but this isn't the correct area to conduct a sale, and since it is a sale G&S should be used.

Did you post this on the actual Benchmade Forums or the Benchmade Manufacturer forums on here?

Quoted for posterity. So you get a generous offer from a respected member (who believes it is legit) to help you out of this situation by buying the knife from you. You LAUGH IN HIS FACE and insist he pay F&F , so you can be sure to protect your own interests..

I stand by my original assessment of your character.
Hey bud kick rocks. You have nothing positive or helpful to post. I'm really trying to be an adult. Your making it hard.

I don't think you understood me. I don't care if you sell it or not-he is fully aware of the circustances, but this isn't the correct area to conduct a sale, and since it is a sale G&S should be used.
I understood you. I guess I should've clarified. I will not, never, in no way sell this knife. However I will donate it, burn it or crucify it. If he would be so generous to "tip" me I would think about sending it his way.

Edit: so either I am misinformed or everyone else is. Where did you get your info that this is a legit Benchmade? I understand I could be wrong and if I am will do whatever is in my power to rectify it. I wish this knife was real. Killer deal. I didn't wake up yesterday and just conjure up a way to ruin my day. Cmon people.. really?

Last edited:
I guess I just assumed that everyone else has researched the authenticity of 940s how I have. I spent countless hours of my free time scouring the internet before my first 940 purchase. This is just generally what I do with every knife I own. This is why I've never owned, microtech, crk or strider. Haven't put in the research. I've went down every avenue except for sending a knife to Benchmade. They destroy them If they receive a fake. So please tell me where you got your information?

I didn't know why OP thought it was a clone either. Only thing that looks off, to me, is logo, but could just be the light.

I will also buy it from you if don't want it.

I bet if you show this in the Benchmade forum the mods will tell you it's real.

I understand being paranoid about clones, but there have been small differences done to the series in bm factory throughout the years.

Last edited:
I guess I just assumed that everyone else has researched the authenticity of 940s how I have. I spent countless hours of my free time scouring the internet before my first 940 purchase. This is just generally what I do with every knife I own. This is why I've never owned, microtech, crk or strider. Haven't put in the research. I've went down every avenue except for sending a knife to Benchmade. They destroy them If they receive a fake. So please tell me where you got your information?

Assuming that that is a counterfeit, I've just never seen them that close. The good ones are usually close but with more glaring differences than the what's in your pictures.

Did you post this on the Benchmade forums here or on the actual Benchmade forums?

I didn't know why OP thought it was a clone either. Only thing that looks off, to me, is logo, but could just be the light.
Research I've done says you can't really look at the logo. It changes in the different years of production. As far as shade, level, location. However the small trademark r is unreadable to the naked eye on real, generally. Little larger on fakes. But taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: so either I am misinformed or everyone else is. Where did you get your info that this is a legit Benchmade? I understand I could be wrong and if I am will do whatever is in my power to rectify it. I wish this knife was real. Killer deal. I didn't wake up yesterday and just conjure up a way to ruin my day. Cmon people.. really?

I have almost no knowledge of Benchmade knives and am purely going on the information provided to me here, and it is that which I have commented on. I do have knowledge on deals gone wrong ,PP claims and how to resolve them, proper procedure and forum rules.
From my experience 91bravo is a very knowledgeable
You sounded very sure at 1st. Then you did some editing, put up photos ,and sounded less sure as well as others(seemingly in the know) chiming in. This is what has been the basis for my comments.
But at this point I will just watch the show- hopefully a solid conclusion can be made as to it's authenticity and taken from there.

I have almost no knowledge of Benchmade knives and am purely going on the information provided to me here, and it is that which I have commented on. I do have knowledge on deals gone wrong ,PP claims and how to resolve them, proper procedure and forum rules.
From my experience 91bravo is a very knowledgeable
You sounded very sure at 1st. Then you did some editing and sounded less sure as well as others(seemingly in the know) chiming in. This is what has been the basis for my comments.
But at this point I will just watch the show
Nah.. i be willing to bet it's fake, giving you 20 to 1 odds.

Back