• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Help please

Fake, not a fake, Will take 85 to get rid of but FF only, Will not sell it, only donate for a tip.
This is all over the place o_O

I didn't know why OP thought it was a clone either. Only thing that looks off, to me, is logo, but could just be the light.

I will also buy it from you if don't want it.

I bet if you show this in the Benchmade forum the mods will tell you it's real.

I understand being paranoid about clones, but there have been small differences done to the series in bm factory throughout the years.
I agree but this (axis cut out) is something that wouldn't change. Programming in there cncs would need to change.

Actually he did not handle this well. He told us it was a clone that he was sold, made it sound like the seller admitted to it, and already had filed a PP claim. That was the information he got the feedback on. He wasn't here asking if it was a clone. Latter he put up photos and members started questioning it being a clone(that it was not). If he wasn't positive he should have started a thread asking our opinion(clone or not) and not started a PP dispute until he was sure, and of course not outing the guy until he was sure.
If the story changes so will the feedback
I was just referring to not outing the seller until the questions got answered.

Hey as I said, you want the knife pm me. You can tip me, I will ship. My loss your gain. Otherwise anecdotal evidence can be posted elsewhere.

I just sent an email to Benchmade.. so hopefully they get back to me within a few days.

Edit: after doing it I realized this was prob the first step. This is why I started this thread, for advice. Not to have my character or intelligence questioned.

Last edited:
I agree but this (axis cut out) is something that wouldn't change. Programming in there cncs would need to change.

Wouldn't be 100% sure on that, but that's what one would assume. I've only recently been seeing 943 and 810s being cloned to near precision. Which is a shame cause probably won't buy either used anymore. Understand the paranoia. I'm at the point where sont buy any knife models used that are cloned to precision cause your just driving yourself crazy wondering if it's real or not. Honestly tho, someone gifted me a fake crk 25 that bought for $350, and i couldnt even tell was fake til was told by mod in crk forum, and honestly, it's just as good if not better than real crks have had. Which is laughable. Mixed up about that.

Can't 100% tell you it's not a clone, but id say real. Maybe BM can't even tell the difference themselves anymore. Clones have really fucked up my enthusiasm in buying made in usa. Everything just seems to be going downhill. Whatever.

I don't know what to tell ya. Would only really trust Benchmade to be authority in authenticity and maybe they can't even tell themselves anymore.

Best of luck to you. If anything got a decent clone.

Hey as I said, you want the knife pm me. You can tip me, I will ship. My loss your gain. Otherwise anecdotal evidence can be posted elsewhere.
Enough... you want to sell it, list it in the Exchange where sales belong. You might want to cancel the PayPal claim first.
Quoted from the same thread you posted in.
The 940 has been around for quite a while now. I am sure slight adjustments in machine programming/tooling could have taken place giving slight variation to the "U" shape.

Enough... you want to sell it, list it in the Exchange where sales belong. You might want to cancel the PayPal claim first.

Quoted from the same thread you posted in.
Thank you for your response. I didn't know the Benchmade forums existed until this. On there they are saying that this cut out may be correct. I guess I need to eat my words. Will likely send to Benchmade to confirm. Something still seems off with the seller. I have opened up convo back with him. Yeah..idk.

benchmade did change the way they anchor the omega springs in the liner a few years back, not sure of the exact time frame. went from being a separate hole in the liners to a slot cut out in the axis track in the liners (i’m probably not describing it very well).

i believe the info came from jason in benchmades own forum but it could have been from jimmy in the sub-forum here.

Thank you for your response. I didn't know the Benchmade forums existed until this. On there they are saying that this cut out may be correct. I guess I need to eat my words. Will likely send to Benchmade to confirm. Something still seems off with the seller. I have opened up convo back with him. Yeah..idk.

Pretty sure even this w33k somebody thought they had a clone 94x going by the såme video you posted, and Benchmade said it was the real deal on the BM forum here. But i too have seen the new vlones on ebay of these and 810s and who knows what else and just discouraged. Mostly benchmade clones.looked nothing like genuine so was company felt didnt have to worry about with many models as far as clones. Cept balis, and bm otfs, way to many clones. I'm just very sick of this clone shit, everybody has to question everything they buy, understandably, wish 5here was an easy way to stop them, but.

Pretty sure even this w33k somebody thought they had a clone 94x going by the såme video you posted, and Benchmade said it was the real deal on the BM forum here. But i too have seen the new vlones on ebay of these and 810s and who knows what else and just discouraged. Mostly benchmade clones.looked nothing like genuine so was company felt didnt have to worry about with many models as far as clones. Cept balis, and bm otfs, way to many clones. I'm just very sick of this clone shit, everybody has to question everything they buy, understandably, wish 5here was an easy way to stop them, but.
Yeah I admit that the cutout part isn't factual. I did end up finding benchmades actual forum. I took apart the knife and found a few interesting things. Very fine details in the knife and packaging.

While there I learned that giving specific real vs repop info publicly is highly frowned upon.

So the knife is being shipped to Benchmade. Been messaging a very cool member there all day. I'm no expert but I still have my doubts.

This could have went a lot smoother if you were a little more clear in your opening post. To me, you made it sound very much like the guy admitted to sending a clone.

This could have went a lot smoother if you were a little more clear in your opening post. To me, you made it sound very much like the guy admitted to sending a clone.
He kind of did in my opinion. Not to mention a week has went by and he hasn't contacted PayPal... So yeah. Only way I would just ignore this is if I was wrong.

I will say that it is very hard to tell without taking the knife apart. I didn't want to, obviously but felt I needed to. I was misinformed on the axis lock cutout/track. After discussing the differences on benchmades forum with a couple members it was decided that there's too many of these qc problems that add up, and/or there was some aftermarket touches to parts of the knife. And that's just the knife, not the box, bag, axis card and care sheet.

I sent an email to Benchmade about sending. It to confirm its authenticity and haven't heard back. Really don't even want to spend the money to ship it. I'm not an expert but am certain that if not everything is from a clone, most of it is fake, handles, bag, axis lock and others. At best it's a "franken" 943 with fake parts but I think it's just all fake. Can really only "confirm" through others on certain things. Some stuff can be chaulked up as qc.

Really sucks that China is producing a knife that as good as Benchmade at a fraction of the price. I can't believe benchmade literally copied their design for the axis lock as well. Makes you think.

He kind of did in my opinion. Not to mention a week has went by and he hasn't contacted PayPal... So yeah. Only way I would just ignore this is if I was wrong.

I will say that it is very hard to tell without taking the knife apart. I didn't want to, obviously but felt I needed to. I was misinformed on the axis lock cutout/track. After discussing the differences on benchmades forum with a couple members it was decided that there's too many of these qc problems that add up, and/or there was some aftermarket touches to parts of the knife. And that's just the knife, not the box, bag, axis card and care sheet.

I sent an email to Benchmade about sending. It to confirm its authenticity and haven't heard back. Really don't even want to spend the money to ship it. I'm not an expert but am certain that if not everything is from a clone, most of it is fake, handles, bag, axis lock and others. At best it's a "franken" 943 with fake parts but I think it's just all fake. Can really only "confirm" through others on certain things. Some stuff can be chaulked up as qc.

Really sucks that China is producing a knife that as good as Benchmade at a fraction of the price. I can't believe benchmade literally copied their design for the axis lock as well. Makes you think.
I mean it really doesnt sound like it's a fake. Not sure why you're so convinced it is. Just send it in.

I mean it really doesnt sound like it's a fake. Not sure why you're so convinced it is. Just send it in.
Ummm ok? I'm not going to lay out the reasons I think it's fake for the same reasons Benchmade doesn't. I don't want to help the cloners. If you want to pm me I will give you the cliff notes. The only thing I will say publicly is that the handle finish, I assume it's some sort of powder coat? Well on the outside part of the scales, it's pretty indistinguishable between my 940 and the 43. Ya know because they are used. On the inside... It's a different story. 43 is very "spotty'' and smooth, no chaulkiness. Spotting I'm referring to is glossy, and it's prob 85% covered in these glossy spots. Nothing like this on the 940. So with light pressure on my index finger running down the green finish it stops. A lot of friction. Completely different between the two.

I shouldve taken the knife apart that first day. Again, I dont want to spend any money on it. If my PayPal claim is denied, will def get sent to Benchmade. But seller isn't even responding to the claim.

I did contact him during that 4 hour window I thought it was legit. Told him if he could come up with any evidence of where he got it I would drop the claim bc someone offered me money with the possibility of being a clone.

No response yet..

I will pay the postage for you to send it to Benchmade. Let me know what it costs and your PayPal.

so you haven’t sent it to benchmade yet so they can check it’s authenticity?

Edit : delete
I did read your response before you deleted it.

The right thing to do is send it to Benchmade. If they say it is legit, drop your PayPal claim. If they say it is a fake, it should be destroyed.

There is no moral ambiguity, keeping the knife and the money is not an option.

everyone on here seems to think it’s real. no one has responded on the benchmade fakes thread, probably because they already have here and you’re not listening so there’s no point. and everyone on benchmade’s own forum has told you that it looks real too. barring all that about the only way to be sure is to send it in and have benchmade check it out, which you said you were gonna do a week ago. instead you’ve decided to keep and use it. sounds like you figured out a way to get yourself a free knife. nice

Back