Help, please

Looks like I'm late to the party but here's my .02. I did a bunch of research a while back when I was looking for a better hunting pack and the top two brands that consistently came up was Kifaru and Exo Mountain Gear packs. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the packs mentioned.

For me, it came down to bag size and layout. I went with EXO K2 2200 pack and I love it. The Exo was significantly lighter and way more comfortable than my other packs. I'm even considering buying a second Exo and passing mine down to my son. I would like to try a Kifaru pack but I know what I'm getting with Exo.

Two of my hunting buddies also bought Exo packs and they love theirs as well.

Let us know what ya end up buying and how your son-in-law likes it.

Man I wish we had a local shop for them here. I just don't want to make a mistake on the sizing/fitment so getting a pro to fit me up is the only thing holding me back.

Dave,

Give Kifaru a call they will set you up right. Or better yet, do a search for Aron Snyder on social media and send him a message. He was super helpful in terms of getting me into the right size and style of pack for my needs. I ultimately went with a different brand, but he would be my first POC if I were looking at Kifaru again.

You guys are really getting me interested in trying an Exo bag. I am actually in the market for a TacTailor MALICE ruck replacement. If anyone who’s used and abused both an ALICE-style ruck and an Exo bag would be willing to chat about it, feel free to PM me.

Dave,

Give Kifaru a call they will set you up right. Or better yet, do a search for Aron Snyder on social media and send him a message. He was super helpful in terms of getting me into the right size and style of pack for my needs. I ultimately went with a different brand, but he would be my first POC if I were looking at Kifaru again.

Thanks for that Darren!

Dave,

Thanks for that Darren!

One thing to note, while I like my Eberlestock packs (they're tough, and made for abuse), they tend to be one of the heavier packs vs capacity. For someone planning on hauling heavier loads, lighter helps.

Also, one thing to consider that's totally terrain dependent: I saw a really cool carbon fiber takedown buggy/thingy. 2 wheeled, and you pulled it kinda like a rickshaw when it's assembled. Allows the user to haul much heavier loads, but again, completely terrain dependent. (Unfortunately, I also don't recall who made/makes it).

One thing to note, while I like my Eberlestock packs (they're tough, and made for abuse), they tend to be one of the heavier packs vs capacity. For someone planning on hauling heavier loads, lighter helps.

I agree on the Eberlestock...rugged packs but they start off heavy. If a person didn't need the ability to take big loads out on the first return trip, then it'd be hard to wear one out.

I was thinking this morning, even though I've spent a bunch of cash chasing packs, at least now I can examine them with an informed eye and decide if their features would work for my needs. I sure wouldn't trade that cash back in exchange for the field time I have under them.

mendezj mendezj were you able to settle in on one?

Well, he wants a light pack for a type of hunt, in Maine, that’s doesn’t require hauling lots of weight. So he told me that for the time being he needs a 1800 Kuiu daypack. However, that for next year, for a different type of hunt, he’ll like a Kifaru. Thank you so much for your recommendations and interest.

Back