help sharpening hinderer spanto

I tried sharpening a harpoon spanto xm18 I just bought here and I'm a bit disappointed in how uneven and wonky the bevel came out compared to how the previous owner had it. I knew the edge thickness was going to be thick and the spanto transition would flare a bit so I though I would do a cautious 20 degrees per side on the wicked edge, so I could at least touch it up on the sharpmaker. What angle do they come with from the factory and what angle do you guys profile these at? I keep getting little chippy and uneven spots at the apex, maybe the bevel is so wide it's just taking longer to clean the apex up. I'm seriously considering getting this thing reground now to fix this.

20° per side usually matches the factory grind and that is what I use when sharpening Hinderers. There will be a slight deviation in edge width at the profile transition as you said you have noticed. Since you bought it used there is no way to tell how much stock has been removed by the previous owner(s). A regrind might be best to get the edge back to spec.

Back