Help! What shaving razor do you use?

I use Astra Platinums in my DE. Otherwise it's a Chinese 6/8 with faux ivory scales, a Solingen 4/8 spike point with celluloid scales, or a few year old 5/8 Dovo.

BiC. I like the yellow "sensitive skin" ones. Single blade. Package of 10 for about $1 or $2 at Wally World. I don't use shaving cream, btw -- hot water and soap work just as well. I would use my one of my "straight razors" -- Spydie Military, Marbles Campcraft, Opinel #8 etc., but am afraid of cutting off an ear:D.

Electric clippers and plenty of witch hazel. Razor bumps are a bitch.

If you're looking at Supply, I suspect you like the "classic shave"?:)

I have a Supply, and while it certainly isn't my favorite, I'd say you would like it if the straights are too much in the morning. I have waaaaay too many razors, of all sorts. I generally like more aggressive shaves (Asylum RX is pretty much "IT", leaving me sad, looking at all the unattended glitteries on the counter since buying it), and Supply is really very mild even with the aggressive guard, to my taste.

A Gillette Fatboy or Slim adjustable is thoroughly enjoyable, and they offer a range of options with one razor. If you go with an adjustable, I would definitely get a variety pack of blades, as they can make a significant change in your shave experience as well. Feathers are wicked sharp, but not always smoothest, in a particular razor. Personnas(Israeli) are a good mid-range, as are Derbys. Vokshods (IME) are a good step up in efficiency from Personna/Derby, but a bit smoother than Feather in my razors with a large blade gap.

So being in this hobby, I have learned all about steels and how to sharpen them. I have also used that knowledge to realize the companies like Gillette are robing us for a pack of 5 Fusion shaving razor heads! I just saw a new intriguing company called Supply that offers a single edge razor with 3 levels of close shave. I have a straight razor but find that they are not a good combo with being tired and sleepy in the morning along with rushing to get ready for work. Bleeding on the subway does not work for me or my fellow commuters, I have tried it. What do you recommend to use as an alternative to the expensive brands like Gillette that you have used and trust?

I believe this razor is a just a new carrier for the old Schick Injector (single) blades. I used the Schick injector for many years. I've since switched to an older style safety razor and I use whatever safety razor blades I can find.

I'm convinced 90% of the shave is about the soap/cream you use and not the blade system per se. Brush style soaps are gratifying but our busy bath room doesn't have the real estate for me to use that system. I prefer tube based creams. Currently using Van Der Hagen Shave Butter.

My go to selections, 7-day set if you will, whenever I need to shave.
uCxTWjY.jpg

A union razor co., a robeson sur-edge, a pair of electric cutlery's, a red-imp, a henckels, and my favorite, a little peter hahn made for droescher NY.

Yeah, pinnah is right, the Supply is just a re-hash of the shick injector, not the greatest system ever. Useful, but ultimately designed to bypass gillette, and it didn't last.
You'd be better off with a standard double edge holder, either new or vintage, and a selection of blades (not all are equal) and a good soap and brush. I can do a one-pass in the same time as it takes with a cartridge razor, and I can do it for pennies. If I need it closer, I can get it closer, and I'm never dealing with a cartridge I need to squeeze one more shave out of. Harder to travel with if you carry-on only, but life is sacrifice.

Philips/norelco “oneblade”. I’ve had it a few months. I’ve always hated the electric razors I’ve tried. This one is different.
It’s small and travels well. I’m on the road for work a lot so this is important to me. Can easily “clean up” in the truck if I need to.
Decently close shave. I have a beard and this thing is great for lining it all up.

I don’t get many ingrown hairs anymore - probably because the shave is not as close.

It’s rechargeable and the charge lasts a long time. I charge it on the weekend and then use it through the week without having to recharge.
I’ve had it 3 months and am still using the original “blade”. Replacement blades are $15 which is pretty pricey, but I only get one shave out of a disposable (my facial hair may contain adamantium).
If I end up only using 2 or 3 blades a year the convenience and versatility will be worth it - time will tell.

Been using a DE for about a year now, picked up my handle from amazon, butterfly unit that seems to work well. Use Astra blades that I remove after each shave and rinse out to remove shaving soap and hair, then flip over. Get about 4-6 days out of each blade but have a Harry's blade for under my nose. Use Mike's soap, just received, and really like the tallow in the soap, leaves my face feeling conditioned. If there is anyone wanting to try feather blades let me know and I can ship some off to you, very sharp just can't get a hang for them.

A nominally 5/8 vintage razor from Whipped Dog Shaving. Have a 8/8 CPM M4 and Ti razor coming from ShaveSmith. Straight razors are the only way. Or double edged if you are traveling.

master the straight, nothing else comes close. its all about angle and not pulling the razor from heel to toe or toe to heel. I can shave in less than 5 minutes including time to make lather until finished. learn the straight and don't look back.

I use a 100 year old open-comb Gillette safety razor and a 1959 Gillette "fat boy" tto. Both use double-edged razor blades that are very reasonably priced and for me, shave better than the ridiculous multi-bladed modern offerings.

master the straight, nothing else comes close. its all about angle and not pulling the razor from heel to toe or toe to heel. I can shave in less than 5 minutes including time to make lather until finished. learn the straight and don't look back.
When I try to shave that fast, I get sloppy and when I get sloppy, I bleed.

But a straight is the way to go. Nothing makes you feel manly-er.

A 1957 Gillette Super Speed double edge with a Feather blade or the Israel Personna blade. I also enjoy my 1950 Rolls Razor. These give me an extra close shave. Better than a jaws 5. I can easily shave for a year on 2 blades with stropping. DM

Reactions: CAD
I use a mid 1800's Wade & Butcher 8/8 near wedge. I have a beard & just use the razor to trim things up . I also use a 6/8 Dubl Duck satin wedge that is very sharp sometimes. I have around 20 straights I am restoring or have restored.

Dave Huffman

woodysone woodysone , the feather blades can be inconsistent. They lack refinement. I have noticed they will rip and tear at my face while shaving.
Resulting in nicks. Then I started stropping them before using them for a shave. Bingo, the shave got buttery smooth and close. DM

Thanks David Martin David Martin , when you same strop, I’m assuming take the blade and use a leather strop loaded with green or diamond?:rolleyes: I don’t know if it make a difference but the feathers I’ve been using are the black.;)

woody, my blades are the silver with black lettering. I use green rogue w/ a 4 layer to set the angle and light pressure with my fingers holding on the sides and resting at the front edge. Pull and flip for 20 passes per side on a new blade on my 14" strop. This should clean it up.
This also works on a used blade, only I give it 40 passes on each bevel. I get the same number of shavings as you say, about 6-7 good close
shaves. This will work on these blades for a long time if you care to do it. I've gotten a year of shaves out of one blade. But you kinda have to enjoy sharpening. Guys with straights, this is what they enjoy. DM

Back