Help with a couple of 8OTs

I recently picked up a couple of 8OTs from my father-in-laws estate. The first I've estimated to be somewhere between 1946-1972 based on the tang stamp and matchstrike pull.

4U5qurZ.jpg

Same Knife as above with 8OT stamp on reverse side.
xnYApSK.jpg

The second knife is a bit of a mystery to me because I've never seen an 8OT with this style of handles. It also does not have the Old Timer plate on the handle. The tang puts it between 1973-2004 so I don't know if it was assemble from parts right as Schrade was closing their doors, some kind of special edition or custom handles made by someone else. If anyone has any info on this knife I'd greatly appreciate it.
Xubjch9.jpg

The first knife will have a window of 1962-1973. The 8OT was first offered in 1960 but the Delrin handles didn't come about until 1962. It is likely even a few years after '62 based on the swedge but that's nothing more than a hunch. I would place it roughly 65-73 but the more credible answer is 62-73.

The second knife is not factory - at least the handles aren't. There's a chance someone will come along and recognize the artist by their work but for sure it was customized after it was built. The tang stamp on it gives you the 73-04 window you mention but you can tighten it a little to 75/76-04. When the tang stamp changed for at least the first couple of years they were still using the match strike pull same as on the first knife. You got two great knives from your father in law's estate.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info jxr1197. It would be awesome if someone would be able to recognize the artist for the second knife. The picture really doesn't do this knife justice. The brass inlays between all of the sections are perfect and you can't even feel the seam where the bolsters meet the handles. I don't know much about knifes but I can certainly appreciate the amount of work that went into customizing this piece. One other question... are these blades 1095 steel and if so what is the best way to clean them up? They also are a bit tight to open and close. Would food grade mineral oil be ok to use to oil them up a bit and wipe down the blades after cleaning?

The rehandle looks like Santa Fe Stonework. They did work for Schrade and for Camillus as well as their own customs using those and other companies blades and frames. Survey their work on eBay or an image search engine.

Codger_64, I took a look on eBay and visited their site and I think you may be on the mark here. Especially considering my father in law had an impressive stone and crystal collection. It looks like Santa Fe Stonework's products would have been right up his alley. Thank you both so much!

I was able to come up with a picture of a Camillus/Santa Fe Stonework knife that looks quite similar to my knife in question so I believe Codger has nailed this one down.

697-2T.jpg

I was able to come up with a picture of a Camillus/Santa Fe Stonework knife that looks quite similar to my knife in question so I believe Codger has nailed this one down.

697-2T.jpg
We can thank former Camillus Engineer Phillip Gibbs for recently reminding me of the vendor connections with SFS.

. One other question... are these blades 1095 steel and if so what is the best way to clean them up? They also are a bit tight to open and close. Would food grade mineral oil be ok to use to oil them up a bit and wipe down the blades after cleaning?
Yes. 1095, and Yes, to the mineral oil. Mineral oil is the preferred knife lube around here. :)

Since there is a touch of red rust in the main blade pull of the top knife, I'd scrub it using the mineral oil and a stiff toothbrush to remove the rust.
I wouldn't polish the blades. They don't look that bad. I'm not sure if the 8OT had mirror polished blades, anyway.
Perseveration is always better than over "cleaning".
Personally, I'd sharpen the top knife, and carry it in memory of your father-in-law. :)

Back