Help with bicentenial 1976

I have a Large German Boker that is marked 1976 with an American flag on the Blade Its is from the Freedom Heritage line . Is marked 1976 in the flag. I have seen many of these with Cracked Ice Scales. This Knife has Beautiful Stagg scales. All of the other ones I have seen are also numbered on the bolster. This knife is not. Has the same presentation box and paper work as the cracked ice. I am baffled by this and can't find any info on it. Just wondering if it could be a proto? I thought at first possibly someone had replaced the scales as I know the Cracked Ice scale were problematic. But that doesn't explain the lack of bolster numbers. Sorry I cant post a picture. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Ted.

I know exactly which knife that is. I believe it's from the Boker/Wiss era. Most of the ones I have seen do have the cracked ice scales you mentioned, or they are swelling. Whatever material they were using at the time just did not hold up over the years. The one's that are in better shape always tend to sell for more. Also I've never heard of or seen that bicentennial knife in stag before–and I don't believe it is factory. My guess is that a previous owner probably had the issues with the original scales and decided to replace them with something more durable, which would be a common practice. Buffing out the number and polishing up the bolsters is fairly easy to do. If you can post pictures, please do.

Back