Help with Chicago Screws

I thought I was finally ready to finish my first sheath. The leather is ready for a clip and sewing, I have an Ulticlip, and I bought Chicago screws.

Problem: my screws are too long, and I'm not totally sure what to do about the parts that will be inside the sheath.

I bought 1/4" screws, which came with washers. I'm using 7-8-ounce leather (one layer). When I put a screw through the clip, leather, and washer, the screw does not tighten on the leather.

Wondering whether I should get 3/16" screws or stitch a leather pad on the outside of the sheath. It would add some rigidity, which is something to think about. I see fat rubber spacers are available, too. I could put a couple on the outside of the Ulticlip, but I think it would be weird.

Also, do I need to put something over the screws inside the sheath? Will my 440C blade be gouged up by the screws when it goes in and out? Maybe I could cement a piece of thin leather over them.

File the post down first. Then if it's still too long, file the screw down. Put a regular nut on it first to file it down and use the nut as a file guide, Filing will burr the end of the screw, and unscrewing the nut should straighten out the burrs. Then lightly file the burrs off.

Here is my current guesswork.

I Dremeled a screw (nut, actually) down to the right size. It works. Seems like a cheesy way to do it, however.

Because the nut is aluminum, I don't think there is any point in covering it. It should not be able to damage a steel knife.

It looks like there are Chicago screws with steel nuts, but if I used them, I might have to think about covering the nuts.

I got everything working. My stitching is not great, so I may pull the thread and redo it. Right now, I'm waiting for the sheath to dry. I wet it down and molded it around one side of the knife.

I don't know if the rubber washers were a good idea, but they came with the Chicago screws, and I thought they might work.

Now I'm wondering...once I finish the sheath's edges and get it how I want it, what do I treat it with? Neatsfoot? Wax?

06%2011%2019%20Jaguar%20knife%20sheath%2005%20small_zpsou8shplq.jpg

I use Tandy Eco-Flo All-In-One leather finish. It stains and finishes with a waterproof finish all in one step. Best way to use it is to lay it on thick in one coat.

I use it on the inside of the sheath too so that moisture will not get into the leather. It's a bit tricky gluing the finished leather, but if you let it dry completely epoxy will stick to it. You won't need as much epoxy because it's no longer porous.

Last edited:
Does anybody know the Chicago screw size that comes with tek lok's? I need longer ones

Back