Help With Knife Identification

Hey guys need some help identifying a knife that belonged to my grandfather.

No marking on the blade, handles, guard, or sheath.

Something odd about it is the clip is only on one side of the blade. So its a chisel ground clip.

1-12.jpg 1-13.jpg 1-15.jpg 1-16.jpg 1-17.jpg

I've got one about identical to that one.

Mine is a Utica Sportsman. If you are holding the knife in hand with the point away from you, the label is on the left side of the blade, about an inch forward of the guard.

Mine has a sheath that is identical to yours as well.

Grab a magnifying glass and see if you can spot any writing on yours.

The Sportsman pattern was made by a bunch of folks. Yours might be from Outdoor, maybe even Camillus or Hammer or Imperial.

Should be enough writing someplace to narrow it down.

Last edited:
I have a similar one too.
But it doesn’t have the swedge and it has a saw back.
The sheath is identical, my knife is stamped Imperial Prov. RI USA.

I have a similar one too.
But it doesn’t have the swedge and it has a saw back.
The sheath is identical, my knife is stamped Imperial Prov. RI USA.

Going completely from memory here, so I may be way off base, but...

Imperial made a couple of versions of the Sportsman pattern. I'm going to say that the H6 was the model with the straight spine, and the H7 was the one with the saw back, or maybe fish scaler back... can't remember.

The sheaths for all of these models is really nothing to write home about. I've been meaning to brew up a sheath for my old Sportsman, or maybe have one made.

At any rate, mine is a family piece and is really worth more as such than as a piece of cutlery.

Yep I can see by the jigging pattern of the delrin it's a Utica sportsman, probably one of the later etched version vs the earlier ones with the stamp.
I'm partial to the imperial H6 myself due to sentimental reasons.
I love this pattern, kind of like a mini Bowie.

I bought my Imperial a few years back at a local gun show, after seeing a picture of one here.
Yes, it looks like a mini Bowie.
Great Eastern made a similar pattern a couple of years ago, it’s a little smaller.

Back