Help with Leather Sheaths

I'm looking to start making leather sheaths besides the kydex I currently do for my customers. I was wondering if anyone could chime in and help me in finding a reasonable but quality leather supplier. Also what are your opinions on leather weight? I make mostly 3-5" blades and around 1/8" thick steel. From my research I feel I need a 7-9oz leather.. when reading the description from Tandys and others I read there are discolorations and possible holes, is this normal and will you always run into this possibility? Should I be buying double shoulders, single or 12x12 sections?

Thread: I'm looking at some waxed thread that reads "Thread 150D 1mm Leather Hand Stitching 125g". Is this proper size thread? what is it exactly I am looking for with thread size and/or weight?

Any help on leather basics is greatly appreciated, I am just looking to get an understanding before I go out and spend $200 on supplies and materials. Thanks.

Good thinking, there is a link in the above "stickys" that has a good list of tutorials and guides for leather crafting. Plus Tandy does have quite the library of books and reference materials to help you along.

General weight for fixed blades varies for the maker, but your right on track, I use 8/9 ounce on most all my work but some go with the lighter 7/8 without worries and I would not either.

The thread I use most is from Tandy and is referred to as "sewing awl thread" and is a good lightly waxed thread. Its a little bit expensive, but worth the extra over the Tejas thread which tends to be a little over waxed and a bit on the thick side for sheath work.

As for tools, well it depends on your level of how far you want to go. You can stay on the frugal side and watch for store sales and estate sales or you can go the high end road and spend a lot now.

Back