Recommendation? Henckels Professional S Chef Knife vs ZWILLING J.A. HENCKELS PRO CHEF’S KNIFE

Thank you!

The Fibrox seem to be 1/4 of the price. Are they 1/4 of the quality? I’m not looking for cheap or to save money. I do want quality in the under $150 limit as much as I can get but not cheap out. which Fibrox do you recommend and would you choose it over the Wustoff you suggested?

My mom has a Victorinox bread knife for probably 60 years. She claims it’s her fav knife.
Fibrox knives are decent quality most things more expensive fibrox only differ on qualities that are really only better as the result of personal preference rather than objective quality, the steel is hard enough the blade stock is thin enough to be useable but thick enough to be tough the handles are adequate basically there is almost nothing you can do with a kitchen knife that fibrox knives can't do. That being said I think they are ugly and I don't personally like how they are balanced.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for everyone’s replies.
I now am deciding between the Zwilling Pro and the Fujiwara that was recommended. I’m leaning towards the German because I’m thinking of durability but the reviews for the Fujiwara are outstanding.

On another note, is Cutlery and More reputable? They have a two knife Zwilling set for the Zwllling Pro Chef 8” and Santoku for 99.95 which is only $10 more than the chef alone. No one else has that sale. That scares me.

And, thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for everyone’s replies.
I now am deciding between the Zwilling Pro and the Fujiwara that was recommended. I’m leaning towards the German because I’m thinking of durability but the reviews for the Fujiwara are outstanding.

On another note, is Cutlery and More reputable? They have a two knife Zwilling set for the Zwllling Pro Chef 8” and Santoku for 99.95 which is only $10 more than the chef alone. No one else has that sale. That scares me.

And, thanks everyone.

Yes they're reputable. They are a large vendor and get exclusives and such. I haven't personally bought from them but they are a well established vendor.

Well, I think I am going to buy him this: Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro 7" Chef's & Rocking Santoku Knife Set. It’s on sale at Cutlery and More for $100. He doesn’t need a Santuko but it’s only a little more ($10) to have a set then the single chef knife.

After all the questions I asked, I checked my two chef knives and ironically, I discovered they are both Zwilling Pros! I won both so it wasn’t my choice. I like them. They are good, basic, and serve me well. I truly had no idea what line I was using until I checked today.

if I see a great deal today for Prime Day, I might change my mind but I’ll probably end up with that Zwilling Pro set. If anyone sees an amazing sale chef knife today, let me know . Or, if you have any final recommendations on anything, let me know.

Thanks all for everything. I really, really appreciate it.

Deciding between these two or really anything German (durability) under 150 ish. I really can’t go above that.

if anyone has other German only suggestions, I’m open.

thanks so much in advance.
I cook a lot. All my knives are Zwilling Professional S. I'm a large man with huge hands, so I prefer a full bolster. The bolster also helps due to the way I grip the knife. But, as others have mentioned, the full bolster complicates sharpening. It should be should be noted that Wusthof full bolsters are sharp at the bottom, not flat like Zwilling. Therefore, Wusthof traditional German knives are easier to sharpen than Zwilling, but you will pay a bit more for Wusthof. Both Zwilling and Wusthof have high end knives without bolsters. As others have mentioned, the Zwilling Pro has no bolster. Those models weren't available when I bought my Professional S set 23 years ago. Personally, I prefer the traditional chef's knife blade profile. The Zwilling Pro has a non traditional blade profile, but many people like it. As for Victorinox, a lot of people say good things. I wouldn't buy them. They're stamped, not forged, and the tang only sits 1/4 of the way into the handle.

Just FYI you are responding to a 3-year old post. I am guessing the original poster already made their decision by now.

Back