Henri Tikkanen PUUKKO from FINLAND with bio info too

That's a really nice looking knife Ray, I really like the traditional style puukkos with the birch bark handles.

Very nice! I really like the end caps, that is a great finishing touch!

You folks have great tastes in knives. :thumbsup: :) I've asked Henri to check out this thread. Hopefully he'll jump the time zones and come visit to hear how his Karjalan Puukko is so well liked.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
:cool:

Ray

You folks have great tastes in knives. :thumbsup: :) I've asked Henri to check out this thread. Hopefully he'll jump the time zones and come visit to hear how his Karjalan Puukko is so well liked.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.
:cool:

Ray
Yes this is why I collect Puukko’s. Beautiful Knife‼️

In use - the first thing I noticed is the wonderful warm and slightly giving aspect of the birch bark handle. My first and I am very happy with this choice. The blade is an EDC size at 3-1/2" with a full flat grind from the thick spine. The size keeps this as a extension of the hand kind of tool - so close up maneuvering tasks, such as bite sizing an apple or - cutting a tree conk off its base are easily and safely achieved. Could be a decent fire building knife too for feather sticks and some light battoning of kindling size wood, though I have yet to do that. I like it very much.

At the moment it is on its way to the west coast to have a new sheath made. I really like the traditional sheath that Henri provided but that lovely sheath is much too stylized for belt carry around here unless I'm dressing up for a Finlandia Festival. :rolleyes: I've asked for a sheath without the tail but that evokes "puukko", otherwise, shorter and more conventional to the American sheath tradition. We shall see what comes out. :)

All in all , I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a puukko or Henri Tikkanen in particular, as your puukko maker.

Ray

Last edited:
Thank you very much Frederick89. I am very happy to read more about Henri, see other of his knives and get to see photos of him as well. Nice to finally - virtually - meet him. :) You can all tell that he is a thoughtful, modest, engaging and talented young man. This was made clear to me from our email exchanges too. It's great that he is now better introduced to BF and the PUUKKO appreciators out in the world. :thumbsup:

Ray

Very glad I found this thread. Thanks for the great write up and review. I'll try and keep the info in mind for my next Puukko. Grats on your amazing knife, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
OG

As promised to myself I had a new sheath made for this Tikkanen Puukko. Henri's original and traditional version is excellent but I wanted something a bit less traditional, i.e. without the puukko tail and a bit shorter to carry.

Sent out to Makael, one of BFs leather craftsman, with the challenge of making a new sheath for it that "evokes a puukko sheath without the traditional stylized flair". I think he nailed it!!!

Never saw this style coming. Like no other I have ever seen. That big thick seam on the front is a new twist on a classic. Pretty cool & organic looking. Funny - after the fact I ended up ONLY with about 1/2" shorter length.

It's so weird it's cool :cool: :) Right?

Ray

Last edited:
Best I can do for now. Will need another photo shoot for more.

Ray

This creation really surprised me. I did send Mike a few photos of "examples" of puukko like sheaths along with some more conventional styles. He was willing to make a few (if needed - who does that? o_O) to satisfy my (and his own) preference. But when this one came out we both agreed that it would do just fine.

Here are some of my "examples" -

As you can see, in the end Mike's muse inspired something else. :rolleyes:

OK with me.

Ray

Last edited:
... and then I had to go on a walk abut today to try the new sheath.

Came home with these specimens - thanks to a sharp puukko and some gentle prodding (keep reading :rolleyes:).

The multi form polypore in the foreground with puukko resting - was taken from the same stump I removed what I called the RED BELTED PIZZA (a near 12" conk - after drying- which around these parts is a monster) 2 years ago. The one in the background from another nearby stump. As the one in front grew off the very same spot on the stump as my earlier snag, there was no bark left. I had taken it all with the previous harvest. That meant that this conk was well imbedded into the trunk - no loose bark to peel away - and so required some careful puukko insertion and cutting around the perimeter. I had a hatchet with me but that was just too crude a tool for this application.

HOWEVER - it did come to the point (punny huh?) that I needed to use the poll of the hatchet to hammer the puukko in strategically and deep enough to effect removal of this complex growth. Don't tell Henri - I was pounding (gently o_O) on the butt of the knife and (gingerly :confused:) prying with the blade. OH, I would have been so despondent (and embarrassed) :( had I broken anything - blade or conk - but mostly the blade. I was patient and did I say (?) gingerly prying, er - persuasive.

Mission accomplished. The last few weeks of rain helped ease the tension of the tree fibers and added an amazing weight to the conk itself. Anyway, I brought home some unusual examples for the collection. All a good excuse to be outdoors on a beautiful autumn day and to use a great knife meant to be used.

And that concludes the puukko tales (and lack of tails) for this day. New sheath was a good addition to the team.

Cheers, Ray

Last edited:
Best I can do for now. Will need another photo shoot for more.

Ray

View attachment 1017156

This creation really surprised me. I did send Mike a few photos of "examples" of puukko like sheaths along with some more conventional styles. He was willing to make a few (if needed - who does that? o_O) to satisfy my (and his own) preference. But when this one came out we both agreed that it would do just fine.

Here are some of my "examples" -

View attachment 1017168 View attachment 1017169

As you can see, in the end Mike's muse inspired something else. :rolleyes:

OK with me.

Ray
Thank you for the kind review. Looking forward to other projects,

Excellent F Frederick89 You have given your Tikkanen Puukko a very respectable test and presented an informative review. My use of Henri's Puukko is much less detailed but I have certainly found it to be a worthy knife. It is my go to woods carry knife. Thanks for the great post.

Ray

Last edited:
Back