Henri Tikkanen PUUKKO from FINLAND with bio info too

Oh man. This puukko would be right up my alley. You see, I'm originally from the easternmost part of Finland and I have not yet seen, before this one anything that is really based on the original puukko's from that area. My favourite is Tommi-puukko but this style originates slightly more to the north, allthough very similar. You can take the man from the east but you never take the east from the man. :)

H HFinn - email the man. He would make you an exceptional knife with pleasure, for you, a neighbor from the East. :thumbsup:

Ray

... and then I had to go on a walk abut today to try the new sheath.

Came home with these specimens - thanks to a sharp puukko and some gentle prodding (keep reading :rolleyes:).

View attachment 1017193

The multi form polypore in the foreground with puukko resting - was taken from the same stump I removed what I called the RED BELTED PIZZA (a 14" conk which around these parts is a monster) 2 years ago. The one in the background from another nearby stump. As the one in front grew off the very same spot on the stump as my earlier snag, there was no bark left. I had taken it all with the previous harvest. That meant that this conk was well imbedded into the trunk - no loose bark to peel away - and so required some careful puukko insertion and cutting around the perimeter. I had a hatchet with me but that was just too crude a tool for this application.

Remember this ^ from page 2 ?

Here is the result after drying and mounting.

... and of course some more Tikkanen Puukko as the thread intends ;)

(~ not the same polypore - I left this one to grow more ~)

Cheers, Ray

Last edited:
Good for you Tutone Tutone :thumbsup: You've got yourself an authentic working puukko there. Yes indeed - Henri and his puukkos are an excellent combination. I'm certainly enjoying my knife from him too - holds an edge and is a comfort to hold.

Cheers, Ray

What a great read through this thread. Thank you Ray for all the pictures and words. :thumbsup:

Wow Tutone Tutone - That is very great to have 2 Tikkanen's. You will find the bigger one especially useful but the pair :) what an excellent TEAM :thumbsup: :cool: Yes please - reviews with more photos.

Cheers, Ray

Beautiful knives.
I posted this elsewhere, but certainly appropriate here. A great historical video.

I enjoy this little video every time I watch it. Lovely knives from steady, old, well practiced hands :thumbsup:

Thanks again Don.

Ray

Back