Herb's Yellowstone???

Surfing around the forums, I just ran into some references to Herb's Yellowstone stropping compound. Anyone heard of this stuff? Anyone ever tried it? :confused:

Bri in Chi said:
Surfing around the forums, I just ran into some references to Herb's Yellowstone stropping compound. Anyone heard of this stuff? Anyone ever tried it? :confused:
Brian, seems that I've heard about it before, may have even seen the website. I've never used it. Got a Linky?

After using a 120 grit belt and the buffers on my Grizzly equipement and getting a knife so sharp that it cuts without feeling it and with a nice smooth edge I'm pretty happy with what I've got.:D ;)
Speaking of the bloodthirsty choppin sumbeetch of course.;)

I haven't used it, but they sell it at Woodcraft and a number of tool places that carry carving tools.

I have used green compound - the chromium oxide bar that is available from Lee Valley. It works great, but I have had allergic reactions to the stuff.

I switched to Clover compound with 1200 grit abrasives.

I generally just use a good leather strop after an Arkansas stone. I don't always need a stroping compound - it depends on how sharp I want to get a knife.

Yvsa said:
Brian, seems that I've heard about it before, may have even seen the website. I've never used it. Got a Linky?

Yvsa, No, seems to be a mystery product :eek:

Dan might know. A while back he mentioned someone had compiled a huge list of sharpening compounds. That might have been someone named Herb.

Correct, Jeb. I have some and have used it. It is a super fine polishing compound, meant for putting on a final hone. I'll try to dig it up - admittedly, I don't use it as much as I could.

Here ya go.....found it. ;)

attachment.php

Since I had mentioned having more than just the regular compounds hangin' around I figured I would post a pic of a few. You'll just never understand how much research Warren did....it was phenomenal. We had enough information to fill a spreadsheet. Couldn't take it all in at once....I begged Warren to organize, but he just never found the time. Hope to get him back here someday.

Anyway......from the pic:

1 - 1200 grit Silicon Carbide powder

2 - Yellowstone compound - hard and "peach" in color.

3 - Pure Chromium compound paste

4 - A "Warren Strop" - super handy. Don't know what you're missing...really!

That strop looks almost the exact same as the ones I made.:D

Edit:
Oh Look! I have another Peyote button, only a mutated one this time!:D

Wow, you guys are good! Thanks. I have some green Chrome Oxide powder from Hand American and it works fine. They also sell it suspended in a solvent for impregnating leather strops, which works very well. For years I have used Simichrome paste too. Also Fliz and Metalglo. All are fine metal polishes hard enough to polish chromium plating.

Gunsmith trick:
If you have some Semichrome laying around, go over the bluing on a gun with a little dab of it on a rag, and see what comes off. Red rust. The bluing is left much bluer without the red layer on top dulling the color. Works on stainless too.

Back