Here’s an interesting one for y’all

So, I have an interesting knife to share with y’all. It’s a Masters of Defense CQD Large Tactical Tanto. I got it for a solid 20$ at a pawn shop one day and was surprised to find out its origins. When I got it I just thought it was a unique looking knife, but the more I use it the more I appreciate it. It doesn’t necessarily have a detent so I can flick it open and closed easily, and one day I took it apart just to see what was underneath and was surprised to see that it ran on a ball bearing. Just an interesting knife that I havnt been able to find many examples of in my searches. Enjoy!

If anyone can tell me what this beast originally cost I’d appreciate that

I have that same knife, payed about $175 at a gun club around 2001 I think they became Blackhawk, they go for ~160

The original MOD's are beasts but I have not heard good things about the Blackhawk MOD knives (typical after ownership changes). A new auto original MOD can go for $200+ so you got a nice deal :thumbsup: Pics of my MOD auto:

18496104385_3580210261_b.jpg

18308297928_cc5fcfb4e4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Err never mind. Thought you were asking it's value. Dunno what they originally went for. In the condition it's in now just use it and not worry.

Last edited:
Looks like you got quite a bargain. Not my sort of knife, so I wouldn't have even picked it up at a pawn shop to look at. More for you!

You had me at "y'all."

Very cool find. Not my cup of tea, but would have been when they came out.

Anyone know what steel it uses? Just curious. I'd think, what with it being circa early 2000's, it would like be ATS-34, as that was a popular choice back then. Or 154cm.

You had me at "y'all."

Very cool find. Not my cup of tea, but would have been when they came out.

Anyone know what steel it uses? Just curious. I'd think, what with it being circa early 2000's, it would like be ATS-34, as that was a popular choice back then. Or 154cm.

From what I’ve gathered MOD’s used 154cm back in the pre Blackhawk days

The supersteels before we knew they were "super." I still have my ATS-34 SOG mini X-Ray Vision, somewhere. Its duller than my ex-wife, and is in the drawer of stuff I wanna hold onto but don't use. I got in April 1999. One of the early arc locks.

Once again, great find. It always feels good to get something for well under retail or market price! Enjoy it!

It may not have a detent, but it’s not going anywhere. Feel like it was made to flick out, yet be tight enough to not open in your pocket

Maybe it's a switchblade with a broken spring?

Look at some of my post history if you want to know more about the us made MOD knives. They were made in asheville NC. And before my FIL opened his own shop, which I manage now, he was the gm at the machine shop that made the mod knives. Wanna hear something funny? The owner wanted to skimp on price so lots of those 154cm blades were actually D2.

Back