Here Fishy - Let's See Your Fish Knives

waverave

Collector of Tortoise Shell
Platinum Member
I've taken a recent interest in fish knives and couldn't find a running thread. I thought it would be cool to gather some photos and info on fish knives here.
Here is a Hammer Brand Toothpick (1945-1955). I like the single blade versions but imagine the 2-blades have better utility.
Hammer_Fish_01.jpg
Hammer_Fish_02.jpg

Last edited:
GEC just built these about a month ago with parts from 2013. #651213 Fish Knife, 420HC steel and Woodland Muslin micarta.

tvNSrZ3.jpg

I did not know about those by GEC, those are super nice! As for the OP, that is a well preserved one, I have seen a lot of those in rough condition. Several have passed through my hands over the years, but I do not have any pictures to share right now.

Bax and Ernie, I was fortunate enough to see one on the bay, did a little checking and snagged it right away.
I later found out they only made 24 in this configuration, so a pretty rare bird . . . er, fish! :D

I did not know about those by GEC, those are super nice! As for the OP, that is a well preserved one, I have seen a lot of those in rough condition. Several have passed through my hands over the years, but I do not have any pictures to share right now.
I imagine that most fish knives didn't last a very long time...just because of the kind of use they were meant for. It is cool to see some old ones in decent shape. I'm anxious to dig more into these and see what I can find :thumbsup:
Would love to have one of those F&F&F versions :)

Here are some of mine...

Camillus WWII Army Air Corps Emergency Fishing Knife c.1941-1946
nyt1oVw.jpg

Hammer Brand c.1945-1955
j5JFHgK.jpg

Schrade Fisherman's Special c.1957-1963
a17sx9b.jpg

GEC Fish Knife c.2015
UkhuYmA.jpg

What I really use... mostly

Two Imperials c.1946-1956 and a Western c.1950s and the others....... except for the TC Barlow... my better half said, "DON'T!" :D
SMIZ594.jpg

I was hoping you would share some of your collection...outstanding! I had my eye on one of those "Fisherman's Luck" knives by Camillus...the hook remover feature intrigues me :)
But oh man that old Russell and the Schrades are something special :thumbsup:
Here are some of mine...

Camillus WWII Army Air Corps Emergency Fishing Knife c.1941-1946
nyt1oVw.jpg

Hammer Brand c.1945-1955
j5JFHgK.jpg

Schrade Fisherman's Special c.1957-1963
a17sx9b.jpg

GEC Fish Knife c.2015
UkhuYmA.jpg

What I really use... mostly

Two Imperials c.1946-1956 and a Western c.1950s and the others....... except for the TC Barlow... my better half said, "DON'T!" :D
SMIZ594.jpg
Very nice lineup :) I dig that Fisherman's Special...what is that on the side a magnet?

Thanks for sharing guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

View attachment 1149582
Picked up this 5” Queen 46 - Birds Eye Maple a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to use it this summer.

I picked up this similar Queen 5" toothpick with the intention of putting it to use on some panfish this summer ! Its such a well made knife ... that long blade centers perfectly and the hard snap is pure music to my ears. Queen got this one right ...

hjHlMdT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the instructive thread, Darren! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I've learned that my "definition" of fish knife was too narrow. I thought such knives had to be a 2-blade toothpick pattern that contained a scaling blade and a clip blade. But here I've seen Charlie's granddad barlows and trapper versions, Alan's wire jack, Jeff's GEC that looks like a shadow copperhead, and even Al's GEC with the "tail fins". I've also seen lots of examples of the scaler on the spine of the clip, allowing single-blade versions.

Now I have a new "grail" to hunt. Since my favorite toothpicks have two cutting blades (clip/pen or clip/spey, e.g.), I'd like to find a 4" toothpick with a clip blade that has a scaler on the spine and a bottle opener at the tang, along with a secondary cutting blade. (Having hook sharpener and/or hook disgorger would be icing on the cake.) Anyone ever seen such a thing?

Here are 5" Rough Rider and 4" Providence Cutlery versions:
Ae2DgKj.jpg

fish.mark.Topen.jpg

- GT

Back