Here Fishy - Let's See Your Fish Knives

I love these knives and this thread. Growing up I had a yellow Imperial or Case toothpick with main clip blade and second scaler/hook remover/bottle opener. No hook sharpener on the scales. Loved that thing. My dad kept a wood handled/wood sheathed fixed blade in his tackle box. The wood was all of one piece, rectangular, with a ruler on each side. The black ruler had true inches and read, "For Honest Fishermen" while the red ruler had scant inches that read, "For Dishonest Fishermen." Also read, "IT FLOATS!" The blade was a typical combination knife/scaler/bottle opener. Nice memories.

Zieg

I don't have a folding fishing knife but I have this fillet knife. Worth posting I think.

Schrade + USA 167UH Staglon Uncle Henry Steelhead Fillet Knife & Sheath with Imitation Stag (Staglon) Handles and Nickel Silver Bolsters - 12 inches overall - 6 3/4 inch blade

m1DJA9O.jpg

I hate to expose my ignorance, but what is the bottle opener looking thing near the bolster on a lot of the folders?

I hate to expose my ignorance, but what is the bottle opener looking thing near the bolster on a lot of the folders?
It’s a bottle opener. Most of these folders include a fillet blade, descaler, bottle opener, and hook de-gouger. Some will also have a ruler and hook sharpener. These are great multi-tools!

Al
I imagine that most fish knives didn't last a very long time...just because of the kind of use they were meant for. It is cool to see some old ones in decent shape. I'm anxious to dig more into these and see what I can find :thumbsup:
Would love to have one of those F&F&F versions :)

Almost every knife I own is a part of my collecting hobby. My only fishing knife is no exception, it being a piece in my collection, and I don't even go fishing.

Anyhow, it's a 'SHUR-LOCK' fishing knife circa 1950. I guess they are actually pretty rare, were made of stainless steel, and were USA produced. The lock on it makes it an even more rare bird, and hence why I wanted to add it to my collection. I was lucky to pick it up on the cheap, and it's in extremely minty condition, even having it's original factory cutting edge.

9C9D1232-4CAD-4668-BFCE-8FFE5E256E37.jpeg 782F845E-563B-40CC-B1B9-05D8604DCCB4.jpeg 4B924451-13C8-4664-9824-1B8B97441F15.jpeg Here is a Buck 387 / Bill Lowen Fish Pick 5 inch folded length, 4 inch 420hc blades but it is imported China. Main blade has a liner lock, secondary has disgourger, cap lifter, measurement ruler, and the descaler is almost a sawtooth that cuts bone and wood easily. It had a bent hook bail but I removed it as it would snag clothing and fishing line easily, now the bail pin hole is a hook straightener. :D:rolleyes:

Almost every knife I own is a part of my collecting hobby. My only fishing knife is no exception, it being a piece in my collection, and I don't even go fishing.

Anyhow, it's a 'SHUR-LOCK' fishing knife circa 1950. I guess they are actually pretty rare, were made of stainless steel, and were USA produced. The lock on it makes it an even more rare bird, and hence why I wanted to add it to my collection. I was lucky to pick it up on the cheap, and it's in extremely minty condition, even having it's original factory cutting edge.

That is super cool and unique...I definitely have not seen that before.

A new GEC 65 fish knife, and a Simms fishing vest so old it was actually made in the USA!

View attachment 1149873
Love that knife...I seemed to miss out on that one but hoping to get one from the Rendezvous or otherwise. It would be pretty neat if GEC offered that in some other materials too...like tortoise shell :D Seriously though, keep those coming GEC.

View attachment 1149878 View attachment 1149879 View attachment 1149876 Here is a Buck 387 / Bill Lowen Fish Pick 5 inch folded length, 4 inch 420hc blades but it is imported China. Main blade has a liner lock, secondary has disgourger, cap lifter, measurement ruler, and the descaler is almost a sawtooth that cuts bone and wood easily. It had a bent hook bail but I removed it as it would snag clothing and fishing line easily, now the bail pin hole is a hook straightener. :D:rolleyes:
What a cool fish knife! I like that a lot :thumbsup:

Back