Here is a rare one..

Hey, I have one of those. Bought it many years ago, but didn't use it much. I could never figure out whether the lock was truly reliable or not. It's a good looking knife, though. What's that model called?

Isn't that a Sawby 531 ?

But it looks like the Tang is marked in a different way & place.

It appears to be one of the almost mythical 532 Sawbys. Legend has it that only five or so were made, fewer even than the 535 Sawbys, and none were released. IIRC there was a rumor that Joe Houser had one and now Nathan S accounts for another. I presume that Mike B's change from 535Sawby to 532Sawby and posting the photo indicates his possession of a third. Perhaps either Joe or Larry Oden can step in and provide a real history.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

It is indeed a 532 with Sawby Lock. The last with the original handles. The other 4 have been reworked. Note, there is no date stamp on this knife. Nathan, you may have a similar knife, but not this exact one.
:)

Can someone define "Sawby Lock". I have a Buck that appears to be just like that , with the traditional spine lock circa, 1992.
Thanx
Ravenn in Ky

I dug out my knife to make a comparison and found that it's not quite the same as the one in the photo. Very close, yes, but not identical. The blade markings are different, the grinds seem to be just a little different, the knife in the picture appears to have a slightly longer choil than mine, plus my knife's handle doesn't have that little lip at the end of the lock. Everything else looks to be the same, though. So, what knife do I have?

I guess i should now change my name to greenwithenvy :)
There were only 5 of the 532's made with the Sawby lock. They were all hand made because no tooling ever got built before the knife was discontinued. 3 of the 5 ended up in the possession of Buck employees and the other two were Chuck Buck's. Its a very long story but Chuck's ended up belonging to someone else, much to the surprise of Chuck and the guy he entrusted them with, namely me! :rolleyes:
I had always hoped that they would turn up someday and 532Sawby worked his butt off locating them. It feels good knowing that at least one of those two are in a collection where it will be appreciated and displayed for others to enjoy.
In case your wondering what happened to the three that belonged to employees, one is part of a set of 531, 535, 532 Sawby locks with mastodon ivory scales! The set is for sale, believe it or not, for $8000!:eek: :eek:
One other, with a custom Dave Yellowhorse inlay, is now in a club members collection, and the last one still belongs to the now ex-Buck employee. He is saving it for his children.
Hope this helps.

Back