Here's A HOG!!! (Handful Of Greatness) . . . Coming Wed. Sept. 4, 2019 At 9:00pm Eastern. . . . .

I respect your take on these "customs" (quite arguably technically NOT customs since they are not ordered as per a customer's specs/request), but I disagree that "they're not even light users. . . ." Take your example of G10 bolsters with + pick a scale type. G10 bolsters are of course made of G10, one of the toughest materials one can use on a handle. Does not matter that it is a bolster rather than a full scale. No less durable. Add a scale material of shorter length. Most of these "customs" are rounded out with some sort of stabilized natural material. Likely not as tough as G10, or Micarta (or carbon fiber, or many other handle materials), but many, many production and custom "users" employ natural materials in the handle. Then take my "object de luste." #2A. It is oak. Freakin' OAK! Strong wood, there. With a little thin G10 liner. Pretty to my eye, but tough nonetheless. I have used many wooden handled knives as knives were intended to be used without them failing in that regard. These will not break through intended use as a knife. And though I have not specifically asked, I have not heard it said that they carry a lesser version of the Busse guaranty. I strongly suspect that they don't.

Now one may view these offerings as so-called safe queens simply due to price and scarcity = future value. One can make an investment of whatever one chooses. I will note, however, that I have seen precious few of these knives on the for sale threads. And some of the ones I have seen offered have not sold quickly or at all. And if one does not plan on selling, then why not use the thing??? The honestly earned hallmarks of use on a tool add beauty (and good memories). It is also a "home mod" that truly makes it yours.

just my take for what it is worth.

Cheers!

Thank you for the explanation, I cant say I disagree with you at all on any points. I agree that even the fancy knives are tough enough to be used, and I wouldnt hesitate to use them if I needed. My safequeens are such strictly by choice, theyre not needed for use as I have plenty of fine bacon in use already. My Bb13, B11, mentor, warden, regulator and scrapivores have all that covered, and allow me to continue to greedily enjoy my shiny pieces in their forever perfect state :D

Excellent Reasoning....as well as utilizing Crab Shack Manpower on Standard Configuration Orders to help reduce wait times which were starting to average 6 months that's a whole lotta knives and customers waiting 2 weeks:eek::eek::eek:

It makes sense and fits the Busse philosophy, imho. Its a finely balanced blend of production and custom and I personally like it, I've found that it works well for me. For example, I received a custom knife that I had no input in creating, but it was exactly what I wanted. I just didnt know it existed, nor could I have thought it up. Heck, if I ordered custom knives, they would all be satin bowies with snakeskin or tigerhide scales :D

Thank you for the explanation, I cant say I disagree with you at all on any points. I agree that even the fancy knives are tough enough to be used, and I wouldnt hesitate to use them if I needed. My safequeens are such strictly by choice, theyre not needed for use as I have plenty of fine bacon in use already. My Bb13, B11, mentor, warden, regulator and scrapivores have all that covered, and allow me to continue to greedily enjoy my shiny pieces in their forever perfect state :D

Thank you for your polite and considered response, DamascusBowie. I can't say I disagree with you at all on any points either! In fact, after I pressed Post Reply, it dawned on me that you said, "the way I figure, some of my knives will always be safe queens, might as well be the fancy ones." Your choice of words revealed your thoughts quite well originally. This was your choice since you wanted to keep something perfect and shiny. While not me, nothing at all wrong with that (Despite my oft repeated statements to the effect that knives are to be used, not stored in safes, etc.) You were not saying these "SHOULD" be safe queens, or "ARE" safe queens in an objective way, and certainly did not say they "HAVE TO BE" safe queens due to their fragile nature. I touched my own nerve it seems :(;).

Nonetheless, I stand by my oh so insightful analysis :). I do so because I detect that some believe that these are petty much meant to be safe queens or are safe queens objectively speaking. I could be wrong.

Enjoy 'em however one likes and NO REGRETS! :thumbsup:

I’m glad that the crab shack has been able to release so many custom shop offerings lately, but why not just open the custom shop to start accepting custom orders?!?!

Mostly because we still have a large number of customs on back order and have you seen the pics of the Cantankerous Crab Shack Crew?. . . They're grumpy and mean! :eek::eek::eek: They don't allow other employees into the shack and when someone tries to get in there, they typically start throwing things at the door. . . and unfortunately the "things" they throw are knives!!!!!:eek::eek:

They make a lot of beautiful customs but the vast majority are on their terms and dependent on what they are in the mood to make!!!

10,000 years of experience comes at a price!o_O:confused:

I tried to get in there about a week ago and Mike Thourot put me in some bizarre choke hold that he learned from Hannibal in the 2nd Punic war in 218 BC!!!:confused:

It looks like I'm gonna need an elephant and a lot of really good scotch!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

Mostly because we still have a large number of customs on back order and have you seen the pics of the Cantankerous Crab Shack Crew?. . . They're grumpy and mean! :eek::eek::eek: They don't allow other employees into the shack and when someone tries to get in there, they typically start throwing things at the door. . . and unfortunately the "things" they throw are knives!!!!!:eek::eek:

They make a lot of beautiful customs but the vast majority are on their terms and dependent on what they are in the mood to make!!!

10,000 years of experience comes at a price!o_O:confused:

I tried to get in there about a week ago and Mike Thourot put me in some bizarre choke hold that he learned from Hannibal in the 2nd Punic war in 218 BC!!!:confused:

It looks like I'm gonna need an elephant and a lot of really good scotch!!!:thumbsup::cool:

Let's Drink!:thumbsup:

Jerry:D

Speaking of scotch, elephants and the Punic wars, has Mike Thourot worked on any custom mentors? Those would be epic. Hold on, how epic would an actual mentorganzaa be? INFINITELY MORE EPIC :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for your polite and considered response, DamascusBowie. I can't say I disagree with you at all on any points either! In fact, after I pressed Post Reply, it dawned on me that you said, "the way I figure, some of my knives will always be safe queens, might as well be the fancy ones." Your choice of words revealed your thoughts quite well originally. This was your choice since you wanted to keep something perfect and shiny. While not me, nothing at all wrong with that (Despite my oft repeated statements to the effect that knives are to be used, not stored in safes, etc.) You were not saying these "SHOULD" be safe queens, or "ARE" safe queens in an objective way, and certainly did not say they "HAVE TO BE" safe queens due to their fragile nature. I touched my own nerve it seems :(;).

Nonetheless, I stand by my oh so insightful analysis :). I do so because I detect that some believe that these are petty much meant to be safe queens or are safe queens objectively speaking. I could be wrong.

Enjoy 'em however one likes and NO REGRETS! :thumbsup:

You described what happens to me all the time, I cant help it sometime, there's a fine line between focus and tunnel vision and I try to be aware of it as early as possible for myself, and I try to be understanding about it with others because I know how hard it is to catch myself doing it.

Speaking of scotch, elephants and the Punic wars, has Mike Thourot worked on any custom mentors? Those would be epic. Hold on, how epic would an actual mentorganzaa be? INFINITELY MORE EPIC :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You described what happens to me all the time, I cant help it sometime, there's a fine line between focus and tunnel vision and I try to be aware of it as early as possible for myself, and I try to be understanding about it with others because I know how hard it is to catch myself doing it.

Your online conduct and understanding speaks volumes for your fine character. Thank you.

I ended up scoring 4b - pretty excited for this one! After looking at all the knives offered I settled on this one being my primary target.

Congrats to whoever scored 2c! That's a fine knife there and I do love me some mosaic pins. It was second on my list. :)

Back