Hesitant to use your EDC?

Ok... So just now (at work) (I'm in manufacturing) - I had to cut open a very large box. I pulled out my (very sharp) EDC and was like, "no - I'm going to go get my utility knife for this" to preserve the edge of the EDC. If it were a smaller box or just a strap that needs to be cut - of course I'll use the EDC - that's why I carry it - duh. In fact - I'll use it for ANYTHING if need be, but the 'need be' wasn't there.. Now I agree that sharpening can be therapeutic, but using it for that monstrosity of a box just seemed wasteful to my edge.
What would you guys do in this situation?

I enjoy carrying a traditional folder with multiple blades, so I can have a 'user' blade, and keep the other blades(s) sharp.

I carry several so I'm able to choose the one best suited for the cutting task at hand. All are quality knives (GEC, CRK, and the like) but I would not hesitate to use any of them, because I don't mind sharpening on a regular basis.

Ok... So just now (at work) (I'm in manufacturing) - I had to cut open a very large box. I pulled out my (very sharp) EDC and was like, "no - I'm going to go get my utility knife for this" to preserve the edge of the EDC. If it were a smaller box or just a strap that needs to be cut - of course I'll use the EDC - that's why I carry it - duh. In fact - I'll use it for ANYTHING if need be, but the 'need be' wasn't there.. Now I agree that sharpening can be therapeutic, but using it for that monstrosity of a box just seemed wasteful to my edge.

with that mind set, I'd buy a quality box cutter, and just leave the EDC knife (what an over worked term that one is) at home.

No, I like to use my knives. A large part of my enjoyment of knives is the actual use. Sometimes I use knives when other tools would be better suited. I've hacked down saplings when clippers would have worked better.

I would of used your edc knife thats that point of it. What knife are you carrying that one box would dull it that bad. But for me I dont carry a knife i second guess cutting stuff espicially a card board box. Not dogging you just my opionion do what you want its your knife. But sharpening isnt that much of a pain. And I agree with mannlicher if you have that mind set you may aswell buy a box cutter and leave the edc at home.

I find that if I don't spend 30+ minutes sharpening my knife to the most polished, hair whittling, atom cuttin knife I own, but spend 5 minutes and put a ''working edge" on it I am not as hesitant to use them. Just my 2 centz.

If you carry it, use it. Otherwise, what's the point? Unless the blade on your knife was too small or too thin to handle such a large box, then there's no reason not to use it. There's no such thing as wasting an edge, especially if you carry a good quality knife and you know how to sharpen it. Some people like to carry multiple knives. A small knife for small tasks and a larger one for the serious stuff. In any case, use 'em, bruvva!

I'm carrying my ZT 0454 today, and when I need to cut something this is what I do:

step 1: extract 0454 from pocket
step 2: open knife
step 3: cut things
step 4: close knife
step 5: return 0454 to pocket

You sound like a knife collector not a user! You should put all your knives in display boxes at home and enjoy them that way! Nothing wrong with that, you just need to come to grips with it! I myself only buy knives I will use! I'm not a collector and I'm not looking to sell them eventually!

That's why when I worked manufacturing, I also carried one of these too (the one on the left). It's a folder and has a pocket clip. The blade is replaceable and hardly anything will cut cardboard better than a pocket razor.
399059b271aef38fa44bc5f98d0e4413.jpg

I have been guilty of doing the same thing before! With only a couple of exceptions, I will now not hesitate to use my knives for most any task. The exceptions are a couple of rare and/or super expensive knives, and I carry a second when I have them in my pocket.

Never. I'm sitting in a 12 step meeting right now... the kid next to me was trying to remove the safety from his disposable lighter. I quickly pried it out with 62RC CPM4V.... with no damage to the tip!

I use it all the time! But you guys are right - I should have used it on that box... Gonna start using more though! (unless I have my cart which always has a utility knife on it)

Back